6 (18.2%)
Don't really give a f***
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
with all this talk of local hip hop having reached a kind of cul de sac, i figured i would put this up just to see where everyone's at?

so how do you feel?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:55:53 PM by the panic! »

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm
Any1 mind ellaborating what we lukin'@ here? Cnt C cz of using phone.

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
mmmmm.....dont really give a f*** as i know a few cats like pro, verb, amu, jozi just a few

and them other dudes, i dunno, oh i also know this other cat, reason or somethin, came through to forte last semester to host some hip hop show, he was murked by some campus dude, craze stuff
Hood.

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
with all this talk of local hip hop having reached a kind of cul de sac, i figured i would put this up just to see where everyone's at?

so how do you feel?
I've been away. From where I'm standing I'm checking one way streets and crowded high ways but not dead ends. Not sure what aspects psertainin to SA hip hop you refering to so imma speak in general.
I've been into this hiphop shyt for a while and every year it surprises me. I feel we are approaching dawn, but so darn slowly. Like that baby who takes a while to learn to walk.
I think the foundation of our  hiphop is really strong but like we are falling behind on building a pad that will sustain the harsh elements of an unpredicatable industry.

I see a lot of people hustling and getting places. Independent projects, virtual hookups and people pushing their shyt to a seemingly growing market. There are women at hiphop gigs these days, not just same old Lu and nat at the sausage fest. It's refreshing.

I think our guys need to focus on the entertainment factor. I've seen a lot of hiphop bands perform, The Roots, QTip what have you and they PUT ON a SHOW!
You get your money's worth.

With most cats here I find you might as well be in your car or your room bumping it coz ain't no difference.  R U there? Yes: but where are you dawg?  Where's the performance?

Cats like The Anvils with their props, dancers and freestyles, T and V with the live band, Reason with crowd participation, bands like these and many others give me hope.
There's your HYPE, your indi record labels, your clothing brands (wa**up butan!), your radio shows. This shyt is ours, we can shape this movement and own it.
There also a lot of killer collaborations between the different elements, Hamma (Super DJ)and Zubz (Inspirational MC). Remember how Mr Fat used to have bboys live on stage as he performed, that's the kind of dirction we should be taking I reckon. It's such a small movement, we need to help eachother if we gonna grow and expand into markets with buying and gain confidence of majors and mainstream media but some people wanna beef.
As if Kingpin,Tupac and Biggie died for nothing. Who knows about what went down with Raiko on friday niht? Care to elaborate?
I wish I had stayed long enough to see Poverb perform last Friday at Zula. Still ain't seen him. How was was it?

On the whole, I feel it's growing, it's been coming, we sitting on the cusp.

Is it feasible? Is South Africa ready for it? Can you define it, does it have an identity? Do people care?

Hybrid

• infinite perfection
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-4
  • iced out
    • View Profile
    • no site

so how do you feel?
I've been away. From where I'm standing I'm checking one way streets and crowded high ways but not dead ends. Not sure what aspects psertainin to SA hip hop you refering to so imma speak in general.
I've been into this hiphop shyt for a while and every year it surprises me. I feel we are approaching dawn, but so darn slowly. Like that baby who takes a while to learn to walk.
I think the foundation of our  hiphop is really strong but like we are falling behind on building a pad that will sustain the harsh elements of an unpredicatable industry.

I see a lot of people hustling and getting places. Independent projects, virtual hookups and people pushing their shyt to a seemingly growing market. There are women at hiphop gigs these days, not just same old Lu and nat at the sausage fest. It's refreshing.

I think our guys need to focus on the entertainment factor. I've seen a lot of hiphop bands perform, The Roots, QTip what have you and they PUT ON a SHOW!
You get your money's worth.

With most cats here I find you might as well be in your car or your room bumping it coz ain't no difference.  R U there? Yes: but where are you dawg?  Where's the performance?

Cats like The Anvils with their props, dancers and freestyles, T and V with the live band, Reason with crowd participation, bands like these and many others give me hope.
There's your HYPE, your indi record labels, your clothing brands (wa**up butan!), your radio shows. This shyt is ours, we can shape this movement and own it.
There also a lot of killer collaborations between the different elements, Hamma (Super DJ)and Zubz (Inspirational MC). Remember how Mr Fat used to have bboys live on stage as he performed, that's the kind of dirction we should be taking I reckon. It's such a small movement, we need to help eachother if we gonna grow and expand into markets with buying and gain confidence of majors and mainstream media but some people wanna beef.
As if Kingpin,Tupac and Biggie died for nothing. Who knows about what went down with Raiko on friday niht? Care to elaborate?
I wish I had stayed long enough to see Poverb perform last Friday at Zula. Still ain't seen him. How was was it?

Is it feasible? Is South Africa ready for it? Can you define it, does it have an identity? Do people care?

nice , i feel you
i stay winning

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog

Who knows about what went down with Raiko on friday niht?

im also dying to know. I saw him being held back by some dudes as if he was in a fight or summin. but I was too far gone to be a credible eye witness

but i am curious yho!...  :o
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

biz-ark-human

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Corporate Nemesis on bandcamp
Who knows about what went down with Raiko on friday niht? Care to elaborate?

Well, Proverb was mad dope actually, the level of crowd participation was amazing, and the way he connected with everyone was generally dope. As for Raiko, well, ya neh...rather not say ;)

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

so how do you feel?

i was referring to the actual music - whether anything that you're hearing right now has you excited. but thank you for fleshing out. that was very informative and more interesting.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:24:50 AM by the panic! »

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
I think the problem we have with SA Hip hop is that GOOD MUSIC aint accessible for instance i love that PTA sound but i only have a few songs that y'all leak on the web besides that, i dnt hav any album or mixtae from the cap city. and that goes for East Rand cats too.

I feel like canibus coz for the past couple of months shit has been real quiet coz i aint heard shit worth buying, i find myself walking into a music outlet and buying soul music n house music and not forgeting that in all o that hip hop is still my first preference.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
I feel like canibus coz for the past couple of months shit has been real quiet coz i aint heard shit worth buying, i find myself walking into a music outlet and buying soul music n house music and not forgeting that in all o that hip hop is still my first preference.

did you vote No?

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
also, as an aside:

how old (average-wise) are the people making the SA hip hop you like?

how old (average-wise) are the people making the SA hip hop you hate?

how long do you think it will  be until the second bunch overtake the first? will they overtake them? can nineties babies make dope, original music? or will this die with the first bunch, and what people could be seeing now is a curtain call?

Nat says: "I feel we are approaching dawn, but so darn slowly. Like that baby who takes a while to learn to walk" but we aren't getting any younger are we?

when will it be time for heads to pa** the torch?

ProVerb

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-22
  • Write of Pa**age Out May 18th!!!
    • View Profile
    • ProVerb Music
Who knows about what went down with Raiko on friday niht? Care to elaborate?

Well, Proverb was mad dope actually, the level of crowd participation was amazing, and the way he connected with everyone was generally dope. As for Raiko, well, ya neh...rather not say ;)

Please do share fam, I heard bits and pieces about what transpired but I'd really like to know what happened.
Write of Pa**age out Now!!!

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
also, as an aside:

how old (average-wise) are the people making the SA hip hop you like?

how old (average-wise) are the people making the SA hip hop you hate?

how long do you think it will  be until the second bunch overtake the first? will they overtake them? can nineties babies make dope, original music? or will this die with the first bunch, and what people could be seeing now is a curtain call?

Nat says: "I feel we are approaching dawn, but so darn slowly. Like that baby who takes a while to learn to walk" but we aren't getting any younger are we?

when will it be time for heads to pa** the torch?
I don't think it's a matter of clinging onto a specific sound and thinking that only hiphop that sounds that way is the good shyt. I don't agree with adapt or die either more like evolve, elevate, become better at what you do.
You don't see The Roots pa**ing the torch coz souljah boy is more popular than them to a certain market.
What's that line by Murs, there's enough space for all of us to shine....I can't recall exactly word for word right now.
I like jozi tracks, I like Optical Ill shyt, I likke Zuluboy I like Amu tracks, I like J-One beats and kid is 16. There's no specific age range i narrow myself to.
Yes,most of those that are coming up don't give a phuck abt the history or substance and anything pre 99 is wack and think 50cent invented hiphop so phuck them bt we can't murder them all...

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
Ill Skillz -Off The Radar

Thats all im gonna say