6 (18.2%)
Don't really give a f***
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
as for pa**in the torch..nah.the current mainstream/older cats(HHP,slikour,Tumi,the Pro's etc) al workd hard to get where they at..earning the corporates' confidence,gettin major stations n retailers buyin into they shit..Let Them Enjoy The Fruits Of They Labour.

Nuff said dude ;)

i wasn't referring to those cats. they can keep what they have. i'm more interesting in younger cats getting in to do more original, 'underground' music. are they getting mentored? i'm interested in this because some of our most creative emcees came up in a time when creativity was still major currency in hip hop. now the climate has changed.  i mean, can we ever see an Iapetus or something similarly daring from 90's babies? this is what i mean by pa**ing the torch. none of that mainstream shit.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
How can you not be excited about SA hip hop?!

Ben Sharpa and Raiko are about to do a 16 show tour of Europe including warming up for Raekwon at the German leg of the Only Built for Cuban Linx 2 World Tour. It doesn't get more exciting than that! It's not like Sharpa is warming up in his home town by default - Rae's team specifically selected him for a Euro show.

I could go on and on about the stuff we have coming up, but it would just be seen as blowing my own trumpet - I'm excited though, even if no one else is ;)

this is too dope! how did they pick him out, yo?

all of this is really amazing, but honestly, i'd be more excited if i'd just heard we were about to hear a new album by the cat.

Our artist manager is in contact with Raekwon's Euro tour manager. She played Ben's material to Rae and that was it.

Sharpa's album is only being released in Europe later this month so they're still catching up with us!

But... we've got 16 tracks for a new show for Sharpa called '4D' - it's basically an hour long audio visual performance concept featuring live audio production, DJ cuts and effects, a singer, a VJ and of course, Sharpa. It will be dope.

Sharpa is also featured on Chris 'Daddy' Dave's forthcoming mixtape (Chris Dave is Mos Def's drummer).

We've also started sourcing beats for Sharpa's next album - he has a concept and has started writing. That won't be out until 2010 though.

We do have lots of really nice material still to come out this year though. 2 albums from Jaak. An album from KONFAB, an album from Gin-i Grindith and Planetary a**ault 2.

We've also got amazing new videos for Camagu by Driemanskap and Streets by Rattex coming out in the next few weeks. We've been working with a new production company called Greenhouse who do amazing work - 10 levels up from anything we've done so far.

Anyway, apologies for all the self-promo - but these are definitely exciting times.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
whoa nelly!

ha ha. ait, i see you, i see you. that's really dope. exciting, indeed.

by the way is Greenhouse the same company that did that Ill Skillz video?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
whoa nelly!

yep, that's them.

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
I feel like canibus coz for the past couple of months shit has been real quiet coz i aint heard shit worth buying, i find myself walking into a music outlet and buying soul music n house music and not forgeting that in all o that hip hop is still my first preference.

did you vote No?

yep

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile

We've also started sourcing beats for Sharpa's next album - he has a concept and has started writing. That won't be out until 2010 though.

ok so how does on get it in? or is it by invite only?
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
whoa nelly!

yep, that's them.

That's Greenhaus productions. semantics... :)

Yeah excited to see the new videos checked out some behind the scenes pix on PU site , looking fresh.

biz-ark-human

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Corporate Nemesis on bandcamp
Our artist manager is in contact with Raekwon's Euro tour manager. She played Ben's material to Rae and that was it.

Sharpa's album is only being released in Europe later this month so they're still catching up with us!

But... we've got 16 tracks for a new show for Sharpa called '4D' - it's basically an hour long audio visual performance concept featuring live audio production, DJ cuts and effects, a singer, a VJ and of course, Sharpa. It will be dope.

Sharpa is also featured on Chris 'Daddy' Dave's forthcoming mixtape (Chris Dave is Mos Def's drummer).

We do have lots of really nice material still to come out this year though. 2 albums from Jaak. An album from KONFAB, an album from Gin-i Grindith and Planetary a**ault 2.

We've also got amazing new videos for Camagu by Driemanskap and Streets by Rattex coming out in the next few weeks. We've been working with a new production company called Greenhouse who do amazing work - 10 levels up from anything we've done so far.

Anyway, apologies for all the self-promo - but these are definitely exciting times.

Dude, if you don't blow your own horn, who the f*** will?

But as a sideline though, don't you feel that the other artists on your label feel sidelined sometimes? I mean, Sharpa's on his fourth or fifth mission to Europe now (I believe three of the bookings have been facilitated by P-Unit in conjunction with Jarring Fx...correct me if I'm wrong). What is being done with regards to Drie and Rah's promotion, apart from videos and the odd show here and there?

Please don't take it in a wrong way, I would just like to know ;)

By the way, has Gin-grimes signed with P-Unit?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
whoa nelly!

yep, that's them.

That's Greenhaus productions. semantics... :)

Yeah excited to see the new videos checked out some behind the scenes pix on PU site , looking fresh.

Haha,, yeah, i just heard they'd changed their name :)

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
yo, dpleezy, you making moves bra, i can feel the heat of this sharpa tour already, make sure you up a link to dowlaod the performances when its all good and done bro.

keep up!
Hood.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

Dude, if you don't blow your own horn, who the f*** will?

But as a sideline though, don't you feel that the other artists on your label feel sidelined sometimes? I mean, Sharpa's on his fourth or fifth mission to Europe now (I believe three of the bookings have been facilitated by P-Unit in conjunction with Jarring Fx...correct me if I'm wrong). What is being done with regards to Drie and Rah's promotion, apart from videos and the odd show here and there?

Please don't take it in a wrong way, I would just like to know ;)

By the way, has Gin-grimes signed with P-Unit?

It's Sharpa's 8th time to Europe, 6 of which were organised by us in conjunction with Jarring FX.

We definitely do not prioritise one artist above others. Building an artist's career is a long process. Ben was already fairly well-established as an underground artist before he signed to the Unit so he's got a bit of a headstart. The type of music he makes also means that he's got an established global (niche) market to plug into.

We definitely see everyone on the label having the potential for international shows but, especially for the spaza cats, the first priority is to raise their profiles in SA before we start looking overseas.

You can never do enough promotional work, but we're doing a lot behind the scenes to get everyone on the label more attention. I don't like to talk too much about things in the pipeline until they are confirmed, so yeah... ;)

We're working on a project with Gin-i, but again, I'm not gonna talk about it too much until nearer the time...

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
yo, dpleezy, you making moves bra, i can feel the heat of this sharpa tour already, make sure you up a link to dowlaod the performances when its all good and done bro.

keep up!

Thanks Mad.

Ben and Raiko will uploading regular video diaries to the Vuzu.TV website. I'll post links nearer the time.

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile

keep up!

Thanks Mad.

Ben and Raiko will uploading regular video diaries to the Vuzu.TV website. I'll post links nearer the time.

cool, the waiting starts now
Hood.