Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Mos Def - Ecstatic

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Most of you are arguing that this album is fresh in terms of concept and style. Truth be told, there is nothing outstanding about any of those two aspects in this album. To quote various posts on this thread, "I've heard this before".

If you've had you ear to the ground in terms of experimental sound you'll find nothing revolutionary about Mos Def's blend of Jazzy instruments, vocals and experimenting with tracks lengths. Even the way he blends tracks together has long been a feature in many albums.

You could say that you did not expect this album from Mos Def. You could say you like how he varied some of his styles. You could commend him for experimenting the way he has. But to say that this album is one of a kind is pushing it.

can you list and/or link a few of the albums you're refering to. i'd love to check them out.

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
Natuurlik, let me go my matrix-like archive. I'll post a few suggestions soon.
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

Phill Banxx

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
  • Oh ahahahahaha you STILL here?
    • View Profile
    • Have Plenty Music
I have waited for OB4CL2 for quite a while and I haven't expected anything more than what in my opinion Raekwon was able to offer in terms of delivery and rhyme content. In that respect OB4CL2 is a consistent, solid and ultimately excellent album. I never expected breaking ground material from this just a consistency in effort and delivery of product many rappers have not been able to display in their careers. The fact that OB4CL2 has got the history it has and throughout the hype, leaks and pre-reviews still managed to deliver a solid product makes it my fav of '09, for now...

Mos Def does definitely deliver a good product with The Ecstatic and his subject material and delivery are certainly refreshing but pitting it against OB4CL2 is unfair as 'breaking new ground' is something we have come to expect from Mos Def not Raekwon. And the psychological aspects these two differing rappers appeal to are not cla**ifiable within the same categories by my opinion.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
But so far, Tate has described how I feel about K'naan's Troubador. I enjoy that album much more than the Mos and it contains all of the stuff you mentioned there.

I am just not feeling the Mos as much as the K'naan. It's just not as melodic for me.
I am curious what Oints and Rob make of the K'naan album Troubadour?

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
But so far, Tate has described how I feel about K'naan's Troubador. I enjoy that album much more than the Mos and it contains all of the stuff you mentioned there.

I am just not feeling the Mos as much as the K'naan. It's just not as melodic for me.
I am curious what Oints and Rob make of the K'naan album Troubadour?

Loved it. Admittedly, I saw his show very shortly after I had a first listen, so that may have influenced me. But it's a**ured, raucous, shitloads of fun and occasionally very beautiful.

Great record.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +8/-7
    • View Profile
Troubadour is amazing...
first time i listened to it i was studying,my sub-conscious was listening i guess coz i just started crying from 'waving flag' onwards...some beautiful,poetic and heartfelt lyrics in this album...'somalia'...'take a minute'...'people like me'...'if rap gets jealous'...'america'...i could go on and on...
You are your best thing! - Toni Morrison (Beloved)

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Troubadour is amazing...
first time i listened to it i was studying,my sub-conscious was listening i guess coz i just started crying from 'waving flag' onwards...some beautiful,poetic and heartfelt lyrics in this album...'somalia'...'take a minute'...'people like me'...'if rap gets jealous'...'america'...i could go on and on...

"Do you see why it's amazing/
When someone comes out of such a dire situation/
And learns the English language,
Just to share his observation!/
Probably get a Grammy without a grammar education/
So f**k you school and f**k you immigration!"
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
But it's a**ured, raucous, shitloads of fun and occasionally very beautiful.

Great record.
Similar emotions are evoked when I listen to the Ecstatic. Now you relate.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Even his performances are innovated beyond the regular hip hop act on stage with his entourage all with mics (c) Steve Harvey:

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Found nothing amazing with this album. just the average jazzed out chilled out hip hop. Disappointed with Mos. i dont a**ociate average with someone of his talent. but this album is.

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop
f*** me f*** me f*** me.. f*** u f*** u f*** u..

shit man i slept on this... till there i was driving down the road and the album starts playing... bumped this all weekend..f*** it...

Mos is on some truth...best album i have heard all f***ing year!!!!

nice man...

dope beats too....

f*** u wat u think..

"You aint JACK BLACK!, mos def i wont be kind to rewind ya WACK TRACK" - Mcekks ( G A Sexion)- Raiders of the lost Art 2009
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:08:13 AM by eraze »

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile

In my ratings, this is so far off Only built for Cuban Links 2. Doesnt even come close.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

In my ratings, this is so far off Only built for Cuban Links 2. Doesnt even come close.

2 completely different things.

Anthony

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +3/-8
  • Wisdom is knowing when you can't be wise!
    • View Profile
i don't know tate, mos gone soft mane.digging talib and madlib though.
Chosen

Anthony

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +3/-8
  • Wisdom is knowing when you can't be wise!
    • View Profile
it took one listen for me.felt mechanical,forced no human soul in it.he doesn't sound wholeheartedly into hip hop anymore.i mean the mos i knew would have made d.o.a.he's less rapper more crooner now
Chosen