Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Gladys Knight says Hip hop sets Black People back

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
real talk.

hip hop does more harm than good in America. it's a majority/minority thing. "good hip hop" is so minuscule as to almost not factor at all into popular culture, which is where most Americans go to be told what to think.

Swordsman

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-21
    • View Profile
She only knows what she has been exposed to.....she can go choke on one of the pips' dick

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
She only knows what she has been exposed to.....she can go choke on one of the pips' dick

never thought I will agree with you.
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
in principle shes right. theres no excuse for some things,

some of the shit someone like plies or l'il Boosie says is not excusable. just utter bullshit
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

some of the shit someone like plies or l'il Boosie says is not excusable. just utter bullshit

word. sometimes heads should just be objective and call it what it is.

Swordsman

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-21
    • View Profile

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile

cosig, but her singling out hiphop is ignorant!!

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
she is being real... i think in general hiphop as an artform has abused the whole "we speak about what we come from" some places in africa are as violent as hoods in the states and as grimey... i mean remember when luda went thru the hood in CPT and was like damn its ill down here - but u dont hear kwaito artists or Sa artists being as vulgar as the states...so its not really a valid excuse in my opinion. and people are right some of these bandwagon niggas are too much and it does nothing to elevate people in general...

i was fine with stanky legg but when them niggas came back with a song called "Hit the booty dew".... i was like come on!

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile

dude.......

whats the angle, how are u guys looking at this, so maybe i will understand where ur coming from
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

cosig, but her singling out hiphop is ignorant!!

it's like having a bag of apples and most of them are rotten. would you rather most of the kids ate the rotten shit and a few of them got to the good stuff, or would you rather throw the bag out and try feed them something else?

but at the same time hip hop is necessary, since for a lot of young black kids it's the only way to find a speaking voice and talk back to a society that corners and marginalizes them. 

but really, what is a Hip Hop Hero? in the end, what does Hip Hop strive towards in America and who's a living example of this?

is Jay the illustration of Hip Hop triumph?

if that's the case, is Hip Hop worth it?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:17:28 PM by the panic! »

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile

dude.......

whats the angle, how are u guys looking at this, so maybe i will understand where ur coming from

well... she is generalising, some of us who listen to underground stuff we know its good for us because we relate to some of the stories and we think its good music.

People shouldn't make opinions about things they know little about(I think she is only exposed to hip hop thats on TV/Radio)
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
(I think she is only exposed to hip hop thats on TV/Radio)

i think THIS is the very problem. the larger audience is exposed to 90% of the junk that is force fed down their throats on a daily basis. this is the only 'hip hop' they know or have become accustomed to. a lot of us on this site were fortunate enough to have aligned ourselves with the genre at a time when it was still very much an art form and also a platform for young black opinionated people to vent on socio econimic problems and thier lives in general.

it was for most of us, quite educational in a scense. because of our background in the genre, us here on this site are able to discern for ourselves what quality is. we know when a track is a gem and when its just bullshit. unfortunately, the greater public cant. and gladys falls into that category. as a musician, she understand the value that music is supposed to convey through its content. and from what she is being force fed, she's calling bullshit. and i dont blame her. hell, i do too.

the saddest thing is that underground music will never ever find a platform on the commercial scene. so as long as hip hop as a "public" genre exiss, we can forget about anything quality or of substance being put out to represent those of us who understand it for what it is
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
(I think she is only exposed to hip hop thats on TV/Radio)
the saddest thing is that underground music will never ever find a platform on the commercial scene. so as long as hip hop as a "public" genre exiss, we can forget about anything quality or of substance being put out to represent those of us who understand it for what it is

in America, yes. i think SA (and other countries) stand a better chance, though. guys like Zuluboy and Tuks sell pretty well and are more exposed than the Glitz, Crackboyz etc. surely, that counts for something.

(no hate to the Crackboyz)

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
even what we call good hiphop has that element of crap in it.

look at the built for cuban linx thread.even one of our favourite MC's ghostface spout's some of the most vulgar rhymes.

even common in kid cudi's "made her say" track says some very ignorant stuff.but let's be candid and say that the media in general has set PEOPLE back. ::)