Africasgateway.com

Dizzee Rascal

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Just listened to the new dizzee rascal. Now i know some of you in here will think that he´s a sell-out, not ´real´ hip hop or whatever,,, but what i like about him is that he is a product of the independent music scene. His accent is pure london, his slang is pure london, his music is pure london,, he has come up with something unique and yet he´s doing big things internationally,,,, wouldn´t it be amazing to be able to say that about a new south african artist (ie. not Ladysmith Black Mambaza).

No disrespect meant to Skwatta Kamp (I think what they are doing is great), but the Source award nomination (Best International Hip Hop Act) flatters to deceive. For me, Skwatta´s music and lyrical flows bear too much resemblance to too much that has come before them (from overseas). Having said that,,, they represent a way forward for SA artists, and they are showing that vernac can, and will, sell units here.

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
i like Dizzy,he´s got edge and attitude,that sets him apart.In a market that is oversaturated with wanna-bes ,it seems like every other person i meet wants to be an mc or adj.he´s doing quite well, i´d like to here a south african mc who´s angry and not trying to change things...someone who just says f*** the system ,i think there´s a market for that.enough peace and love sometimes life sucks and Dizzy captures that for me.

I´d luv to hear his new album...Jah Bless

[ This message was edited by: machiavella on 03-10-2004 20:37 ]
If you are irritated by every rub,how will you be polished?" Rumi

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Reason I luv Dizzee is that he´s not afraid to take sum place else. He´ll work wit a Drum an Ba** cat 2day and Basement Jax 2moro. I been feelin Brit and European hip hop alot mor than Yank 4 the last six months, cos it sounds fresher and mor in touch wit wer its from, cos les face it the Yanks know they makin it for the rest of the world, Dizzee does it dirty an rotten like for the Yardies in Finsbury Park and Brixton an even us folks who not ther feel it cos he´s comin straight up 4 himself. And that deserves respect, integrity is key.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.