Africasgateway.com

Acid is FUn FUN FUN

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
No not the drug silly...

Check it out:

http://fileserv6.soundclick.com/fastb8/HiE/nastieed+tsek.mp3" TARGET="_blank">fileserv6.soundclick.com/fastb8/HiE/nastieed+tsek.mp3

Quick loop made in acid pro 4.0 in the last hour

Dont usually use acid cuz even though sampling is in the tradition of hiphop n shit, i still dont really feel like I gave the beat it´s ´soul´ when i use samples?
Know what i mean?

it pissed me off how these days most, if not all commercial tracks that have some musical worth are just covers of old songs.... but what REALLY pisses me off is the fact that those artists dont mention the fact that its a cover - GIVE PROPS WHERE PROPS IS DUE.

Kinda feel the same way about making beats... just cuz you happened to stumble across a nice sample doesnt make u a good producer...

How do other producers feel about sampling?
Am i the only one whoz got some issues with it?

At which point does sampling become too much? At which point are you as a beatmaker no longer the beat ´creator´ but just a selector or beat conductor?
Do u feel that distinction should be made?

Tryin to get sum opinions?

Anonymous

the way I see it is that if you sampling something that is old you might reignite interest in that particular record.  you might have a connection with a particular record or you might hear something funky that was released in 1977 that didn´t really make the top 100 so you want to share that.  

at the same time sampling is an integral part of the hip hop culture I got no beef with beatmakers/producers who play instruments or whatever.  that´s another aspect and national progression to want to do that.  but you will notice that things move in cycles, you might get sick of sampling and want to do a bit of experimentation, then you wanna get back to basics etc.  you can see with many hip hop artists today.  e.g. look at Beastie Boys.  
anyway nice beat, I got it on repeat right now in the headphones, will let it play for another few minutes or so then I´m going back to listening to the "5 Boroughs" Beastie Boys.

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
Interesting topic

A producer and a musician are not the same thing. A producer arranges and shapes a track whilst a musician just plays the music. I think Sampling is cool whether it involves you sampling a chord or 24 bars of a track. Personally i enjoy it when a producer samples a track and chops the sample beyond recognition. Sampling is an artform and when executed properly is something that even the original musician sampled can say "Yeaa ain that some S@#t".

I think the problem most people have with sampling is that the producer gets all the credit, and they think its undeservered!

Dont get it twisted, sampling is hard.. finding the right sample is a hard process! Once you´ve got the sample it is´nt over you still have to mould it into a track. Very Hard!!

Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
sampling hard?

hmm... i tend to disagree, at least in comparison to coming up with a riff from scratch.

as to the distinction btw producer and musician....
and this is also in respone to mr. deep fried poulty
its cool if you create a renewed interest in the old track... but it NEVER happens.... cuz people never give credit...

The only people who will know where the sample came from are music fundi´s who already HAVE the knowledge and don´t need it. The average person doesn´t give a f***...if he likes a song...he likes it.... And he will connect that ´liking it´ to the producer...the name of the artist the track is under....even if the ASPECT of the song he likes (or the sample) had nothing to do with the producer....

I believe ALL covers should have a responsibility to state vocally before the song starts (as part of the track or whatever) who and what was the ´creator´

and...
Just because I have access to good music doesnt make me a good producer.
I would suggest that Primo for example IS a good producer...
But not because he finds nice samples... Its because he plays the samples that he does have (usually no longer than a second) like an instrument... each sample/sound is used as a note in a composition...

The producer who just samples a 10 second loop (or cuts together 3 3 second loops) and puts a beat over it aint IMHO a tight producer... he just happens to have access to a good music collection

I respect producers like the neptunes...cuz they come up with their own shit...
Okay...ultimately what pisses me off is when someone who stumbles across a nice sample and puts a beat over it gets more credit than some who skillfully and ´creatively´ pieces together something that he can call his OWN...and original..

It happens to me so often that i hear something that moves me (insert random producer/artist here) and then a few months later i discover that what i thought was made by this chap - making me think that he´s ill - was actually made by someone else 20 years ago.... makes me feel like the artist/producer conned me..

Nah mean?

So... feel people need to give credit where its due...and NOT take credit where it aint

[ This message was edited by: DJ_Nastie_Ed on 18-10-2004 23:07 ]

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
were saying the same ish!

Just for interest sake i can play the drums an piano
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
do you find it influences you when u make beats? do you just paste samples n rearrange em.... whatever sounds good or do u sumtimes plot progressions of notes n chords n then fill in the samples?

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
I think there is nothing wrong with sampling, as long as it´s done tastefully, i.e. chopping the damn thing up into bits.

I actually prefer sampled beats, they have more soul than the electronic triton, wannabe timbaland type wack shyt.

To me a dope producer is someone who can find a certain sound, and blends it with other sounds(the correct kick,snare,etc) to put together an amazing fusion of melodies.

The thing with sampling is that producers end up getting lazy. A lot of samples already sound tight as they are, and sometimes you don´t even wanna flip the sample, you wanna use it as it is. that´s laziness right there.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i generally try to avoid using samples but i have nothing against the crate diggers.

i can´t help feeling that taking someone else´s musical genius and putting a beat under it is a bit of a soft option,,, although, as with everything, it´s what you do with it that counts,,, some of my favourite tracks have samples in them,,, it´s just not for me i guess.

at the end of the day it´s all about hot beats,,,, however you make them

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Interesting,

I´ll post my full view/s later.
ABAC - A change gon come!

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
Quote:

19-10-2004 at 18:54, eef_haf :
Interesting,

I´ll post my full view/s later.

Cant wait

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
it would be interesting to see who could make a hotter beat if they swapped styles.

i mean, a crate digger/´organic´/sample producer makes a totally original composition

VS.

a electronic/´original´/jiggy/whatever producer goes sample crazy

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
hehehe.

Ur onto something there Dp.I like that idea.Though in some cases, a sampling producer is a very good original composition producer too.So u gotta select a strictly sample-based one and a strictly synthetic one.Btw, when u refer to synthetic, what do u actually mean?Just wanna get clarification.U mean a producer that makes everything original and not just electro stylee hip hop production?Cause if so, then I think u could regard organic to refer to soulful production, and that doesnt always need samples.Its weird how words can get u confused.Like ?uestlove and them and them, got a pretty what I´d like to think organic vibe and its pretty original.

But I guess there´s that fine line of definition that creeps into the mix.Barring all that I just mentioned, I see what u mean with the flipping of styles.It would make for entertaining music.It could end up being something Landmark.U never know.

Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac