Africasgateway.com

First South African Rapper??!

Dr. Kanazawa

• Fcuk your couch!
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +2/-3
  • cd's nutz
    • View Profile
So my old lady is giving her vinyls to my cousin, don't know what the dude is going to do with them( that's his business). Anyway I decided to go through most of them with her and bumped into one by Senyaka titled African Rap.

So who's the originator of rap in South Africa?

I'm asking the fellow agians this question because I wasn't into S.A rap that much until a few years ago...
I repeat...fcuk your couch

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
So my old lady is giving her vinyls to my cousin, don't know what the dude is going to do with them( that's his business). Anyway I decided to go through most of them with her and bumped into one by Senyaka titled African Rap.

So who's the originator of rap in South Africa?

I'm asking the fellow agians this question because I wasn't into S.A rap that much until a few years ago...

I was asking myself the same too. I saw the video last week. it looks like the joint is from around the same time as Yvonne Chaka-Chaka's Mr DJ song.

one of the lines goes
"there are a lot of MC's out there but none of them better than me"

hahah

i dont think he was that bad for that time.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
not that im asking if he is the first rapper, more like the first rap video or record?

LetsogoLaPlastik

• AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-8
  • Wa tlala??
    • View Profile
Interesting find guys....never knew senyaka used to "flow"...... ;D ;D ;D
Ha o mpona oska.....nkatumela!!!!

sero147

• AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-3
    • View Profile
from what i have heard senyaka is actually one of the first mcees in the country, and then kwaito blew up and cats had to get paid so they went with it. and this was way before the "Muthaload" mixtape came out and some cats regard that as one of the first hip-hop albums in the country. A friend is conceptualising a video, which will be paying tribute to senyaka's contribution to sa hip-hop

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I don't know about the first, but I know the best was definitely Bob Mabena.

He even has a SAMA to prove it.

"Yippee Yo, Yipee Yo! Get funky!"

sero147

• AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-3
    • View Profile
dont know if winning a SAMA puts you in the best category 8)

Waylander

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-5
  • Eat shit and die, f***nutz!!
    • View Profile
    • check this shit out... its for your own good... beleive me..

LetsogoLaPlastik

• AG Regular
  • Wa tlala??
    • View Profile
dont know if winning a SAMA puts you in the best category 8)

I think he was being sarcastic....

einah!!!!!!!!! :-[

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
from what i have heard senyaka is actually one of the first mcees in the country, and then kwaito blew up and cats had to get paid so they went with it. and this was way before the "Muthaload" mixtape came out and some cats regard that as one of the first hip-hop albums in the country. A friend is conceptualising a video, which will be paying tribute to senyaka's contribution to sa hip-hop

I think Senyaka came out the same time as Penny Penny and when Chico started doing
Kwaito. This could've been around 1990-91. I know that M'du and the Tropmies have been around since 1988 as M.M. Deluxe. That was said to be the first Kwaito group.

Jules Winnfield

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-2
  • Schizophrenic Tenant Number 1
    • View Profile

I think Senyaka came out the same time as Penny Penny and when Chico started doing
Kwaito. This could've been around 1990-91. I know that M'du and the Tropmies have been around since 1988 as M.M. Deluxe. That was said to be the first Kwaito group.

P.O.C's OUR WORLD (thats credited as SA's 1st hip hop release) came out in 1990? they also formed in 88/89 so if thats the case, then it would come down to the month.... haha

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:44:48 PM by Jules Winnfield »
When all this shit is over and done – I think you're gonna find yourself one smilin' motherf***er.

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
P.O.C's OUR WORLD (thats credited as SA's 1st hip hop release) came out in 1990? they also formed in 88/89 so if thats the case, then it would come down to the month.... haha

I thought that Black Noise had a release back in 1989. I heard that they were the first
crew in Cape Town but started out as a graffiti and breakdance crew.

Mega

• AG Regular
    • REP: +2/-9
    • View Profile
Stop the presses!!!

Mzwakhe Mbuli was the first rapper. That dude has been putting poetic, rhythmic flows to music for eons in SA.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

LetsogoLaPlastik

• AG Regular
  • Wa tlala??
    • View Profile
Stop the presses!!!

Mzwakhe Mbuli was the first rapper. That dude has been putting poetic, rhythmic flows to music for eons in SA.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

co-signs this powerful post....Mzwakhe had the streets on lock bruh....if u schooled ko Loxion in the mid 90s u probably know some1 who used to "read" Mzwakhes raps/"poems"

Listen to the voice of reason...of reason........reason.... reason

Frantz fanon

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
i think senyaka was the  first south rapper. Remember the song where he disses Brenda Fa**ie?
i left streets to spread my wings, its destiny and not many things.
Gained a stage name to dwell in the skill order of kings