Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Botched circumcision - Cutting Edge

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
hey RR I think "cutting edge" very ironic given the subject matter dont you think :D gets repeated today if I'm not mistaken

cosign. I wanted to comment on the irony from the beginning too. lol

but what time though?

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile
its because of greed. The kids are being taken care of by other kids who have nothing but vengeance and naughtiness on their minds. I watched half of it before i was totally disgusted. @ anna - this sort of thing happens with the underpriveleged because cats from well of families have well trusted elders and caretakers from their own families who ensure such negligence never prevails. Hope it makes sense
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
its because of greed. The kids are being taken care of by other kids who have nothing but vengeance and naughtiness on their minds. I watched half of it before i was totally disgusted. @ anna - this sort of thing happens with the underpriveleged because cats from well of families have well trusted elders and caretakers from their own families who ensure such negligence never prevails. Hope it makes sense

cosig... i also think that ukukhankatha should be a full-time job, the community should appoint a number of people who will undergo a course ( Department of health should take responsibility for this). People should be paid salaries  instead of ibotile ze branti etc.  and there should be rule that no one is allowed to touch umkhwetha except for them. And this thing of iingcibi that keep initiates in their homes (ko rondavel) should stop ( i could be wrong but this is more common in the former Transkei region).

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

mmmh, I see. kind of makes sense now.

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
Cutting edge is at 21:00 on sabc1
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

cosig... i also think that ukukhankatha should be a full-time job, the community should appoint a number of people who will undergo a course ( Department of health should take responsibility for this). People should be paid salaries  instead of ibotile ze branti etc.  and there should be rule that no one is allowed to touch umkhwetha except for them. And this thing of iingcibi that keep initiates in their homes (ko rondavel) should stop ( i could be wrong but this is more common in the former Transkei region).

no doubt! I agree fully 1 person being responsible forr the nursing of umkhwetha because it ensures safety including hygiene because frankly u have no idea where amanye amadoda hav been with their hands okanye athwele ntoni nha, which is rife in transkei as witchcraft is big in the rural areas of my homeland. They should review the system but in such a mannr that does not disgrace the custom.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Or get circumcised under other nations that don't have this problem. i.e BaSotho

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
Or get circumcised under other nations that don't have this problem. i.e BaSotho

PAUSE
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile

Actually they have their own set of problems. I lost a friend eSothwini <-- Xhosarisation.  Its not a tribal issue, it's a people issues. It's just more prevalent kwa Xhosa because there are so many of our boys that die and initiation is mistaken as only a Xhosa thing.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

Actually they have their own set of problems. I lost a friend eSothwini <-- Xhosarisation.  Its not a tribal issue, it's a people issues. It's just more prevalent kwa Xhosa because there are so many of our boys that die and initiation is mistaken as only a Xhosa thing.

misuse

Except for the case where it seems like initiates die due to irresponsibility, i think that the westernization got us believing that death should not be an expectation when it comes to African initiation schools. makes it look like all death that occur through this custom proves the ridiculousness of the custom.

With the bit that i understand, death is part of the risk. There are other complicated reasons why that is the case. But then again i've never been to any of them so i cannot explain the mysticism (if im using this word correctly) involved. I think, that we look at life and death with the western/christian view is the reason why the death all death at these school is misunderstood.

thats just my opinion. im not an expect, knowledgable or "qualified" to speak on this with certainty but this is part of what i've learnt so far.

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
no rr. Death isn't part of the deal.. No!

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

I don't know how to explain this now. and, im not specifically speaking of the Xhosa schools but in some cultures its is accepted that theres a possibility of death and your fitness spiritually/physically/mentally are considered to a**ess your chances of surviving the initiation so you can have a choice whether to go there or not. there are a lot of things considered.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:38:39 PM by RearrangedReality »

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile

Except for the case where it seems like initiates die due to irresponsibility, i think that the westernization got us believing that death should not be an expectation when it comes to African initiation schools. makes it look like all death that occur through this custom proves the ridiculousness of the custom.

How? Death, especially in these quantities is certainly NOT part of the deal. How does the Western world do this? I understand that it gives them grounds to argue the custom as barbaric but it certainly doesn't justify the escalating number of deaths.

I don't know how to explain this now. and, im not specifically speaking of the Xhosa schools but in some cultures its is accepted that theres a possibility of death and your fitness spiritually/physically/mentally are considered to a**ess your chances of surviving the initiation so you can have a choice whether to go there or not. there are a lot of things considered.

But this happens with Xhosa initiation too. You don't just wake up one day and someone drags you to the bush. You do go through the physical and mental preparation. This is where the responsibility factor comes in or lacking which i why we have so many boys dying.