Naturelle · 27 · 197745

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
I'm asking. When will we use the truth for good? When will we learn from history and not repeat it?

I've been obsessed with Thomas Sankara for years. If you don't know about him, he was ahead of his time for some of the revolutionary steps he took during the 80s, a statesman and leader that should be emulated. A man who banned mercs from governmental fleets, a man who changed the name of his country to a phrase that means, the land of upright people. Ask our friend Google about him, you won't regret it.

But this is not about him, it's about  the case against Charles Taylor currently underway in The Hague.
I've known about it since he was indicted, he was such a celebrity president, hard to ignore. An handsome charismatic man with a relentless penchant for power. But I never really followed why exactly he was being tried or what has been happening till I read last week that he may have had a hand in Sankara's a**asination. Not to mention my shameful interest in Naomi Campbell and her implication with Taylor giving her apparent blood diamonds while at a dinner at the Mandela residence.

What I find most difficult to accept about the case against Charles Taylor is that no one is blatantly speaking out against his atrocities not only in his native LIberia but also his role in funding rebel leaders in Sierra Leone that lead to the most brutal civil war in that has scarred the people off that land nor about his escaping a  jail in the states. ( The U.S actually pardoned him and backed his presidential race even though he was guilty of embezzling their money, being jailed for it and escaping  a U.S jail- I will never understand how/why the Yanks continue to back the most evil men in history and still claim righteousness)
How can  people protect Charles Taylor? He who ordered the murder of anyone he thought was a rival to his power, he who funded and approved the burning of villages, chopping of limbs, rape of grils and women and ordered children as young as nine to kill their parents and become his soldiers?
How can there even be a doubt that he is responsible?
Issa ha**an Sesay is already serving a 50 year term. he will prolly die behind bars and yet he will not say anything against Taylor.
When will the truth ever come out> Do the people left without left limbs, the people who lost their families, the people who killed themselves in fear of what may come, teh people of free Liberia, and Free Sierra Leone, do they not deserve the truth?
Will Taylor never have to admit that he was wrong? That he did bad things? Why has his remorse ( if he is capable of it)  been allowed to be private for so long?
I really hope Sesay crumbles under pressure during the trial tomorrow and gives evidence that will enable Taylor to be prosecuted finally. I don't think anybody will take pleasure in seeing an old man go to jail, but if there is any justice in the justice system, he must pay for his crimes.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:43:28 PM by Naturelle »

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile

What I find most difficult to accept about the case against Charles Taylor is that no one is blatantly speaking out against his atrocities not only in his native LIberia but also his role in funding rebel leaders in Sierra Leone that lead to the most brutal civil war in that has scarred the people off that land nor about his escaping a  jail in the states. ( The U.S actually pardoned him and backed his presidential race even though he was guilty of embezzling their money, being jailed for it and escaping  a U.S jail- I will never understand how/why the Yanks continue to back the most evil men in history and still claim righteousness)
How can  people protect Charles Taylor? He who ordered the murder of anyone he thought was a rival to his power, he who funded and approved the burning of villages, chopping of limbs, rape of grils and women and ordered children as young as nine to kill their parents and become his soldiers?
How can there even be a doubt that he is responsible?

The US has supported many of dictators and corrupt leaders in the past. Mobutu was a favorite of the American government and he turned Zaire (D.R. Congo) into
crap for his own and American interests. During the 1950s, the United States
supported Fidel Castro and Che Guevara to overthrow Fuelgico Batista and become
leaders of Cuba until Castro started to become a Communist.  The US and Russia
were involved in screwing up governments during the Cold War by
wooing and supporting these "leaders". It even continues today.............

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
The US is involved in anything that happens anywhere in the world where there are resources to be got. Point is Charles Taylor could not have went to Liberia through escaping in Prison, he was sent by the US there, with his buddy Prince. I dont buy the escape BS.

The history of Liberia depresses me, I looked at the country negatively from the moment i saw their flag, that was before i knew anything about that country. I think the Flag says it all.

As far as this world court is concerned, it doesn't have credibility. I bet you if Hitler was alive he wouldn't have to face no judge in this court. If it had any credibility, Botha, Bush, etc would have had their day in that court.

This is some political game we will never really understand fully. This whole blood diamond case is a joke really.

Its interesting to know that the "great" Mandela wines and dines with tyrants.

"We are willing to do business with any gorvenment regardless of their internal policies" - Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela

Yet people praise this man like he is for the people. fckn sellout.

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
strongs words there sir.

id judge once i know ALL sides to a story.

just saying
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
maybe i should ask, what informs your calling him a sellout,

make no mistake im not on anyone's side, just want to understand your standpoint

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

make no mistake im not on anyone's side, just want to understand your standpoint

I do have a  response to that but first would like to know the side of the story you say i don't know.

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

I do have a  response to that but first would like to know the side of the story you say i don't know.

do you know the WHOLE story? can u honestly claim you do?

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-14
    • View Profile
You nyukkaz is derailing the thread go fight your battle somewhere....Oh! do you guys think madiba's selloutness*sp* is worth discussing at this level I mean really
"Let them toxins in this liquor, squeeze the life outta this poor liver of mine " AA

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

do you know the WHOLE story? can u honestly claim you do?

but this response is not giving me some info of the side of the story i dont know.

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
i dont know anything but what ive read, much like you, but i always say a perception created is always deceptive, it serves to fuel ones agenda.

like now there is a book that basically says that the ANC came about because of some white jews who wanted to enforce their communist ideals.

who do you believe.?

Capt Schti

• Two sips from being a tyrant.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile

"We are willing to do business with any gorvenment regardless of their internal policies" - Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela

First cite the source quote above.

No leader would ever say something like that, not only is it political suicide it's just clumsy.

What Mandela said was that he would never turn his back on any country that supported the freedom struggle including some that are perceived as tryrants like Castro, Gaddafi...

The only reason Taylor was even invited to South Africa was not so that he can be praised and "wined" and "dined" it was to convince him to give up power and stop the hacking and killing of his own people and those in Sierra Leone for diamonds. And it worked he gacve up power and went into exile in Nigeria.
That worked for peace in those two countries... you don't like that. Cool. You don't get it. I don't know.
The diamond trial is only a joke as long as Bush and Blair can never be brought in front an international court to answer for Iraq.  Otherwise...

No one is perfect, but people who obsess about trying to bring down Mandela really do deserve Zuma et al                         
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:06:59 AM by Capt Schti »
"I just want to enter my house justified" Bloody Sam

Touareg

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
    • View Profile

No leader would ever say something like that, not only is it political suicide it's just clumsy.

What Mandela said was that he would never turn his back on any country that supported the freedom struggle including some that are perceived as tryrants like Castro, Gaddafi...

The only reason Taylor was even invited to South Africa was not so that he can be praised and "wined" and "dined" it was to convince him to give up power and stop the hacking and killing of his own people and those in Sierra Leone for diamonds. And it worked he gacve up power and went into exile in Nigeria.
That worked for peace in those two countries... you don't like that. Cool. You don't get it. I don't know.
The diamond trial is only a joke as long as Bush and Blair can never be brought in front an international court to answer for Iraq
.  Otherwise...

No one is perfect, but people who obsess about trying to bring down Mandela really do deserve Zuma et al                       
COSIGN!!!!
Real Recognise Real

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
Thomas Sankara, will most def ask Mr Google of this man. First found out about Charles Taylor during the time when Ellen (not sure of her surname) was involved in the Women of Liberia Ma** Action for Peace then started running for president when the civil war ended. I remember her on a doccie, showing what her country had become after the war and what Charles taylor had done, I remember Charles denying everything and being totally arrogant about it as if nothing or no one could touch him, saying that Ellen was just being a crazy woman and that his people will never vote for her. Then, he had fled to England because of a warrant being out for his arrest for crimes agaist humanity or was it the time he was detained in the US?? I’m not really sure but I remember his wife totally standing up for her husband talking about how he was an outstanding man, saying that, Ellen doesn’t know the Liberian people as she spent her time studying overseas, she was just looking for votes. It was horrible, suwage was on the streets where people lived, buildings were falling over, the coutry was just in ruins, this was back in 2002 or ’03, I do hope that he pays for what he’s done, suffer for the rest of his life in a Zim jail, let him live to be 100 and still be suffering in a Zim jail!
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

well.....

John Pilger: "I read that in Bangkok this year you said we are willing to deal with any regime irrispective of the internal policies of any country. Is that correct"
Mandela: "Oh yes, [couldnt make out the word here but sounded like certainly,like he said 'Oh yes, certainly']"
John Pilger: "What would have happened to South Africa though, if that had been applied, to the ANC, during the struggle, if that attitude of tolerance had been applied, surely apartheid might have lasted longer than it did"
Mandela: "No there's a huge difference with apartheid. There's no country in the world where discrimination and oppression is part of the legal system"

I got the qoute wrong this is he did say "do business" instead he said "deal". I got this from a documentary called Apartheid Did Not Die. Not sure what world this man leaves in.