MOFF G · 7 · 2997

MOFF G

• MOFF G
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +3/-9
  • MOFF G: THE GENIUS
    • View Profile
    • MOFFG
with the recently published revenue of established Hip Hop cats on the Forbes Magazine, i thought; how is it that the south african Hip Hop industry seems not to embrace this idea of tours?

we now have platforms that monitors the artists interaction with the fans, yes it is a risky business which sponsors is dragging they feet to embrace, but what is it that makes sponsors be like this?
is it the manner in which we artists potray ourselves, as drunkards?
is it the lack of marketing skills from artists' management?
what is it that can be blamed for this?

if u compare what makes an artist in the U.S and realise that the A&R out there puts and fronts they artists so much they in your face. tours is the bread winner, they start 'em off with college tours, then evolve this to something bigger, headlining for a "Rock the bells" alongside big name acts.
we on the other hand just sit back and hope that we do get a gig someday, and yet HHP never tours around the country, for me(or any unknown act) to think i'll rock alongside him in my hometown.

what does it take to pull off a successful nation wide or provincial tour??

the greatest rides u'd ever experince is upon the DEATH STAR....

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
What you need for a tour is an audience.
Having been involved peripherally and centrally in the staging of a few events of varying profiles in my time I can tell you that even putting on small events costs, in time and money and while you can save some money by putting in more time in some areas, certain things require people who are not you to do stuff for which they most likely would prefer to get paid (flyer/website design/ sound rental, press pack, etc) and while you can often get shit sponsored or risk like once or twice, sponsors generally need to see Return On Investment.
So dude who gave you sound is gonna do it free now cos you homeys but he's expecting payment at some point, if your event isn't making cash after like 1st 2, he's never gonna do shit for you again.
and thats a single event.
Tours need sponsors big enough to cover transport and logistics of artists, crew and possibly sound (given the low level of infrastructure outside of major urban centers in SA, nothing can be a**umed).
You generally also need local promoters to get your marketing out, you need the right size venues and you need to know you're gonna fill the joint.
As far as hip hop in this country goes there aren't many people I can think off who're willing to drop the cash a good tour needs on any act that isn't what pa**es for A-List in SA.
So basically HHP and maybe Teargas, Jozi, JR and this Kwesta kid are the only viable vehicles for tours that'll give a sponsor ROI as far as most funders are concerned.
If I was you, I'd making sure every local gig I do is packed out before I start thinking of touring.   
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
What Syn said.

You wouldn't believe the amount of money lost between Sqew and I, while just hosting events with local acts, funded out of our own pockets, with no sponsors. Then cats show up at doors and ask to be let in free, cos they wanna get in free at hip hop gigs, but don't mind paying up to R100 for a house gig.

I don't see why anyone would wanna risk touring.

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
A great case study would be the KoL cats, they do the closest thing to a tour in SA, a Jozi gig and a CPT gig... and they work kak hard, and they stress and push and out on good shows and have been doing so for a minute and they still have to push for their sponsorships, nothing ever falls in your lap.
And they do it for the love mostly cos not one of them is living large by any stretch of the imagination.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

MOFF G

• MOFF G
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +3/-9
  • MOFF G: THE GENIUS
    • View Profile
    • MOFFG
my thoughts were more along the lines of what those KoL cats is doing, i dig they hustle.

which leads me to this: (hypothesis) if these guys were to put together all those cats they sometimes feature on they events and ensure they rock WC all round, wouldn't that make up for a tour?
i understand the logistics of putting up a show, so touring will require more, considering 1 has to always expect the unexpected, but this is no excuse that a locally produced provincial tour can't be viable.

yo guys b4 i posted this idea, i had it patented: halla black 8) ;) ;)
the greatest rides u'd ever experince is upon the DEATH STAR....

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Just recently watched a Tumi interview. He said hes doing a South African tour in the next upcoming days! Hope it goes well!

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO