Africasgateway.com

R15000 for a whisky shot

Ramorethetho

• Weed is green paper is brown coke is white you are a bitch so as your wife
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-18
  • Linux and Novell f***ed and gave birth to SuSe
    • View Profile
You feel like you are on top of the world when you are on the 13th floor of the Radisson Hotel on Rivonia Road, Sandton.

This is where Jozi’s newest lounge bar, Zar, is situated – and it is arguably the most expensive in the country.

It is owned by rugby player Ashwin Willemse, Malcolm X, Gayton McKenzie and Kenny Kunene.

McKenzie and Kunene have transformed themselves into instant millionaires after being incarcerated in jail not so long ago.

Here, as director and marketing manager Malcolm X puts it, “the News Café and Wimpy crowd” is prohibited.

Malcolm says they are at the top because they are with top people. “We selected this place out of many for strategic reasons,” he says.

Zar is where folk with deep pockets make deals and spend serious money.

Here you can expect to pay top Zuid Afrikaanse Rand. What you fork out for a tot of 50-year-old Glenfiddich whisky will not be a whisper at all, it will be a loud bang at R15000, or almost R500000 for the entire bottle!

“We stock exclusive brands and are happy to be the only South African black-owned bar that hosts kings and queens – and provides the standards they are used to,” says Malcolm X.

From Zar the skyline stretches in all directions.

Among the sights is Alexandra, home to more than 500000 of the poorest of the poor.

“B efore you talk of waste and how many people could benefit from half a million, let me tell you that a lot of the people who come here are employers,” Malcolm says.

“Zar is a premium networking venue – people hang out here, but also do business, which benefits many people.”

Of course, that includes government big shots from Zimbabwe and Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan, who came for a party.

“ We hosted Patrick Vieira’s birthday party, Prince Albert and Princess Caroline of Spain were here… so were Arsene Wenger and Luis Figo,” says Malcolm.

“And we pay well too,” he says. “Our waiters, who work a maximum three days a week, earn more than you and many other professionals.”

http://www.sundayworld.co.za/Home/Article.aspx?id=1171216
Feeling satisfaction from the street croud reaction

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
I was thinking bout checking this place out....

Sometime during the week, anyone wanna link up there and talk business?

...for the record if you ever drink a R15K whiskey shot in my presence be prepared to be puked on.

There is NO REASON..i don't care about exclusive..but there is NO REASON to spend R15k on ANYTHING consumable
NONE...I will spit on you and your Bentley...and blow kisses at your bitch!..I drinking a M3 does not sound clever to me...

a double shot on the rocks is three months salary for  AA and Letsogo....NAH!!!! there is no excuse!
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Gotta agree with Brick.

Conspicuous consumption of this kind disgusts me.

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
iv been here. R200 for guys to get in, free for broads. its a nice looking spot, and thats the end of it. i will never go back again. well dressed high maintenance girls and possibly some 'working' ladies as well, considering the status of the majority of the guys that hang out there.

i really think its sad what people will do to maintain an image these days. but to be fair, the owners saw a gap in the market and capitalized. if i could also find a way to squeeze every cent out of people who are trying to keep up with the 'jones', i definately would do so. even if that means charging those retards R15 000 a shot.

i for one have no image to uphold, and am definately not trying to impress broads that i could possibly just as easily pick up at a regular hang out like news cafe. so i have no business being there, and will definately not go back
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Was planning to check this spot out because of some broads i know who seem to love it lately. and then i read this. Not so sure. They wont let me in becaus e I'm not rocking an Armani shirt but some hip hop label tee.  Man, it will never make sense to blow R15000 on a shot. You sure they did not put an extra zero there? Still would be dumb to pay R1500 for a shot of anything, even Khanyi Mbau. Unless you are Benni and earn R100 000 a week. still...it's just dumb.

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
good thing I havent cared about peoples opinions since highschool, life is so easy when you dont have anything to prove to some lame you dont even know

That not good enough for ya?

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Nop, that price is rtight. GLenfiddich 50 year old is the world's rarest and most expensive whisky.

That is about average for a shot anywhere in the world.

My whole beef is the fact that people do this, not because they want to or even appreciate and enjoy it, but only to impress others.

Like Deac said. Impressing a bunch of clowns has never appealed to me. Impressing a bunch of chicks who got in for free and are trying to get a rich guy, appeals even less.
This is only for the BEE fools and gollddiggers.
Funy thing is, they probably won't let a real rich person, who doesn't feel the need to show off his wealth in, because that wouldn't fit their client profile.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
wack.

these are the kind of people we really need less of in SA. don't know how people keep expecting the youth to somehow move the country towards improvement when people who are old and should know better set precedents like this.

vacant consumerism.

ex-cons no less.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:27:26 PM by the panic! »

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
Nop, that price is rtight. GLenfiddich 50 year old is the world's rarest and most expensive whisky.

That is about average for a shot anywhere in the world.

My whole beef is the fact that people do this, not because they want to or even appreciate and enjoy it, but only to impress others.

Like Deac said. Impressing a bunch of clowns has never appealed to me. Impressing a bunch of chicks who got in for free and are trying to get a rich guy, appeals even less.
This is only for the BEE fools and gollddiggers.
Funy thing is, they probably won't let a real rich person, who doesn't feel the need to show off his wealth in, because that wouldn't fit their client profile.

this reminds me of that london club that turned away this jordanian dude because he didnt fit the profile, nigga came back the next morning and bought the whole place he turned out to be a billionaire

That not good enough for ya?

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

if you can foot the entrance fee and strict dress code they will let you in. wether or not a person can afford a drink after gaining entry is another story.

there are no doubt a lot of recognisable faces there. pseudo celebs and business moguls alike. there is a huge inbalance in ratio of males to females. something along the lines of at least 5 women to 1.  figures i guess...considering the entrance requirements.

i had a good laugh though. seeing the girls out wearing their sunday best, sitting in groups of 2 or 4 drinking water waiting for some rich guy and his friends to wine and dine them for the evening.

i wont lie, the girls are not conservative at all with their dress code either.
i know one of the directors of KPMG personally. the guy i have known has always been this modest family man with high values. i saw him there that night, and his beloved wife was nowehere to be found. neither were his high values. i was really shocked. needless to say, he didnt remember me and my 'mr price shirt wearing self that day'. i guess once you belong to a certain elite grouping of people, your values change. id like to wish i would never become like that when i eventually make that arab gwap im destined to make.

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

if you can foot the entrance fee and strict dress code they will let you in. wether or not a person can afford a drink after gaining entry is another story.

there are no doubt a lot of recognisable faces there. pseudo celebs and business moguls alike. there is a huge inbalance in ratio of males to females. something along the lines of at least 5 women to 1.  figures i guess...considering the entrance requirements.

i had a good laugh though. seeing the girls out wearing their sunday best, sitting in groups of 2 or 4 drinking water waiting for some rich guy and his friends to wine and dine them for the evening.

i wont lie, the girls are not conservative at all with their dress code either.
i know one of the directors of KPMG personally. the guy i have known has always been this modest family man with high values. i saw him there that night, and his beloved wife was nowehere to be found. neither were his high values. i was really shocked. needless to say, he didnt remember me and my 'mr price shirt wearing self that day'. i guess once you belong to a certain elite grouping of people, your values change. id like to wish i would never become like that when i eventually make that arab gwap im destined to make.

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
i know one of the directors of KPMG personally. the guy i have known has always been this modest family man with high values. i saw him there that night, and his beloved wife was nowehere to be found. neither were his high values.

ha ha.

i was really shocked. needless to say, he didnt remember me and my 'mr price shirt wearing self that day'. i guess once you belong to a certain elite grouping of people, your values change. id like to wish i would never become like that when i eventually make that arab gwap im destined to make.

i feel like all men have the potential become like this with wealth. you have to keep it in check.

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

i feel like all men have the potential become like this with wealth. you have to keep it in check.

i hear you. but i feel that if you have legitimate values instilled in you, and you dont 'front' that you do, even when you come upon serious money, you will not deviate from these values. particularly the core value of family.

but let me not rush to conclusions. holler at me in 5 years 8)

Touareg

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
    • View Profile