Africasgateway.com

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All!

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Peace...!

if there is anything that causes a love-hate relationship with the "world" and the "americans" its definitely their arrogance...more often than not, (in hiphop circles atleast), there will come along a group or an individual whose style is celebrated as "the next big thing" as the be all end all of creativity, an almost messiah like character that is charged with bringing about musical change & salvation to mediocrity...personally, i never give into the hype...they did it with JAY ELECTRONICA, J COLE and now, now they doing it again with ODD FUTURE...i dont dislike their music but i feel its really nothing NEW, GRAVE DIGGAZ did this MORBID rap thing years ago....

i guess what i dislike the most is that musicians in America are often hoisted up as "the be all end all" of creativity, as if the rest of the world now was sleeping before he/they came on the scene and now we have to catch up to his/their persona and style of execution, the better to be considered as "worthy" of listenership...anyhow, enough of my rants...i stay with an open mind...!

But that's America. If artists don't constantly reinvent themselves they are discarded. And if reinventing themselves means doing something that was done years before, then it's OK, because listeners won't remember it.

true, but my major concern is with how impressionable the rest of the world (in this case AFRICA) is when it comes to "America" and its "ways"....being that we live in a global community, its at times negligible and forgiven that we tend to be prone to copying mannerisms via cultural exchange, be it through media or personal interaction. however, it really gets disturbing when we copy to a T forms of expression that at best seem to describe and complement one part of the world and not one's own. the tendency is thus to forsake and look down with contempt at whatever it is we could potentialy brign to the table. in essence, lose what we claim to fight for so tenaciously, our identity, which is something that has to resonate more in MUSIC than anything else.

im all for listening to "american" music, hek, my collection boasts more of America than anywhere else in the world...however, i dislike having it shoved down my throat as if there is no alternative and constantly being fed the idea that nothing else can ever compete...!

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
i don't know why folk always have this elitist posturing..there is literally nothing new under the son...so f***ing what.

I personally don't think their music has that much of shelf life..it way out there for me,but some of their acts are pretty timid(mellow hype, mike g, domo genesis) so i don't know where the horrorcore badge is coming from.

vid from last night, wutang like and free flowing?

props to panic for putting me on...GOLF WANG!!
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Shout out to Msanii_XL! oints, I think you raise some interesting points about hegemony in music, but fellas please! this is not the place. open a thread. this one is intended to house and discuss the music, which i think youre judging unfairly, by the way. to me, these dudes are pretty much as dope as most of everyone seems to think and a very welcome addition to Hip Hop.

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Shout out to Msanii_XL! oints, I think you raise some interesting points about hegemony in music, but fellas please! this is not the place. open a thread. this one is intended to house and discuss the music, which i think youre judging unfairly, by the way. to me, these dudes are pretty much as dope as most of everyone seems to think and a very welcome addition to Hip Hop.

nah famly, u misinterpret my intentions, im not tryna throw dirt on their hustle, if anything, its to their credit that what they have insights debate...where better a place to speak on it than a thread that celebrates their efforts...i feel like us speaking on them and their efforts as musicians generates more interest for what they have to offer, opening up another thread is superfluous.

i got my dudes with me, after youl put up the FALLON vid, they went out, on their own accord to check for them dudes, so there, there is nothing malicious about debate  ;)

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
nah, dude, i got you. i just think you touched on an important issue not specific to odd future, and would have liked to see it fleshed out instead of eventually getting swallowed here, or becoming an odd future love/hate thing. the other thread doesn't even have to have shit to do with this group. all good, though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:34:24 PM by the panic! »

Sosiba

• AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-3
  • Madzikane kaZulu.
    • View Profile

This just disturbed me, I know i've heard more sinister and dark shit before but this, yo! Thing about the video is that it's so convincing, I actually believe the dude hence im disturbed. I loves it!
"Why was the worker shot? Because he protested... Why was the negro shot? Because he was there. This is the gratuitous (without cause) violence against Black people that so called pure marxist can't comprehend" Frank Wilderson.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:35:22 PM by the panic! »

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
If you insist on boxing these young'ns you are missing out on some good shit

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:25:46 PM by Msanii_XL »
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

krimzin

• Bruin Storm
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-4
  • "God grant me wings, Im too fly not to fly"
    • View Profile
    • krimzins crypt
Ayt but can we agree that these dudes are into some sinister shit right?...I mean, you dont just label a inverted crucifix with 666 on it for nothing ha?...just for the sake of having it there?...Im just saying

krimzin

• Bruin Storm
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-4
  • "God grant me wings, Im too fly not to fly"
    • View Profile
    • krimzins crypt