Africasgateway.com

Destructive lifestyles by the youth

Waylander · 118 · 57199

Waylander

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-5
  • Eat shit and die, f***nutz!!
    • View Profile
    • check this shit out... its for your own good... beleive me..
Copied N Pasted-------------------------------

In the article “Cultural warriors are not rational” (City Press 2 August 2009), Andile Mngxitama seems to be disgusted by the “slave mentality” that induces Africans to “kill young men in the name of a mythical and idiotic thing called manhood”. He suspects “this madness is a result of spiritual and material dispossession” that resulted in our “backwardness, fear, superstition and irrationality”

A belief system as an aspect of culture is a subject that has over time intrigued anthropologists. It is simply repeated, learned and acquired behaviour that sometimes consolidates into rituals. These rituals need not be “rational” or scientific. Nor do they have to be “proven” in newspaper columns or academic platforms for them to be accepted. Those who may have an affinity to impose Karl Marx’s statements where they least apply may be interested to find out why Marx never cut his beard in the first place.

Belief systems are critically important for group affiliation, social acceptance and self-affirmation. The rejection and social sanction against those who despise our way of life is what sometimes compels inkwenkwe to join his peers entabeni against the wish and readiness of his parents.

All societies have their share of “irrationality and idiocy”. There is for instance nothing “rational” in shaking hands; covering your body for decency and walk naked in the beach among the same people; shaving your head and beard hoping to be handsome. But no matter how idiotic it sounds, no American male candidate would win a presidential election with a face hidden under a forest of hair and beard. It makes me wonder if it is the same concept of rationality that makes Mngxitama not to wear skirts.

Granted, some aspects of cultural practice could be dangerous. Yet the beauty of culture may be located in that very same quality. Europeans spend valuable time fighting and sometimes killing or getting killed by bulls. I have yet to hear someone screaming about the idiocy and cruelty caused to animals by this culture.

Car racing, rugby or boxing are all “dangerous” and perhaps “idiotic” sports. But “rational” people call not for their abolition but regulation. By the same token, stringent regulation and control of ulwaluko must be imposed to curb the deaths that have the effect of drowning the social importance of the practice. Amakhwenkwe are never meant to be killed at the mountain – ayadlangwa. If we were to heed the socially reckless call to abolish ulwaluko because of the “neglect and incompetence” visiting the practice, there would be no public hospitals today.

The cut is a small aspect of ulwaluko. It is a powerful institution where you learn the values of ubuntu. That is also where the writer learned to be an African and umJwarha. I came to appreciate the knowledge of science by the indigenous people. Umkhwetha smears lime (calcium carbonate) all over his body. This substance has anti-perspirant and anti-deodorant properties, which account for why umkhwetha does not have a foul smell despite not washing for months. It also serves as a sunscreen.

I doubt if anybody could be proud of ridiculing Africans for lack of originality by wearing “Czechoslovakian beads” and eating “Latin American maize” as though there is nothing African these nations are using. They are using our mathematical formulas, singing our jazz and eating our meat. They are still colonising our artifacts in their museums. Be that as it might, we traded with other nations on equal par long before Christ was born. We were not done any favours.

Sadly, Africans are often the first to attack their own value systems in such exaggerated viciousness as would make Verwoerd turn green with envy in his grave. We are the first to distort and attack ilobola as reducing women to commodities when it has nothing of the sort in its undiluted version. We are so obsessed with departing from ourselves that we even walk, talk, laugh and eat in the manner and style of other people. Talk about slave mentality"

After reading the highlighted part i immediately lost interest in the rest of the article..

Just one question thou.. U Andile lo yikwekwe na? Kauz if he a man, why is he saying this shit(he bein a hypocrite)... And if uyikwekwe, what the f*** does he know?

Waylander

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-5
  • Eat shit and die, f***nutz!!
    • View Profile
    • check this shit out... its for your own good... beleive me..
^^^if u don't mind me asking, why don't you want to do the circumcision?

the question should be why do they want me to do circumcision? everybody who trying to explain why i need to do hasn't given me a good enough reason for me to do it.

So awuzokoluka chief? nja!!

case in point

Uyinja ke qha... four nyawo... juvi.. janki... usi skapi njandini.. masende'bhokhwe..if you pm me a pic of ijwabu(foreskin) yakho ill deposit R50 into your bank account!! Its been a while since ndilibona...

Or Fotyela!! ;) anyway waylander its not hows its done now!! You wont get nothing out of it if spew venom n calling out names!! You get a brandy or whisky without asking for it!!

Now they have these circumcision schools at the back, at their father's Garages Smh! and listening to lil wayne!! ::)

hee madoda....umntu ongolukanga uqale nini uba ngu " Fotyela" ngoku?  bendisazi ukuba unofotyela ngunotywetywe ( someone who ended up in hospital coz he culd not take the heat)!!! and oh yeah Fuck Andile!!!!

This...

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
Christianity has nothing to do with race. The fact that the missionaries that propagated the religion in South Africa were white does not discredit the truths in the bible. If you read your history, you'll learn not all of them were on good terms with the colony. Missionaries like Dr van der Kemp lived with the Xhosa in their way of life. Xhosa spirituality has always had gaps, like on what happens on the after life, some were filled by the Khoi before the missionaries. The issue of faith is complex, please do not make uninformed statements stemming from an ignorant and often contrived afrocentric perspective.

As one who went through the ritual, I know the effect it had on my spirit, long after I had been circumsised.

Had we had as much cultural education as we had had Christian/Western culture forced on us you wouldn't have to have to call what you don't know yet about life a "gap". What you don't know you probably shouldn't know. What I can tell you if you get to a point where u getting close to know more than you should, somebody will let you know.

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
f*** this Andile Mgximata dude.
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
well atleast ag agrees on one thing for a change that this andile dude can go f*** himself

That not good enough for ya?

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
The real problem is education, our elders don't educate us on these things which is why the western education easily influence the way we see our beliefs and customs. Even most circumcised Xhosas dont seem recognise the "science" in our practices. even in politics of black consciousness I have never heard any african political system being referenced when talking of possible political solutions.

i call it "The Conspiracy of Cultural Silence"

from the pre-apartheid era to the present, black parents and elders don't say shit!

and then they hate me when i'm down in Cape Town doing blow off white girl tittays.

lol

possible solution?

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
The real problem is education, our elders don't educate us on these things which is why the western education easily influence the way we see our beliefs and customs. Even most circumcised Xhosas dont seem recognise the "science" in our practices. even in politics of black consciousness I have never heard any african political system being referenced when talking of possible political solutions.

i call it "The Conspiracy of Cultural Silence"

from the pre-apartheid era to the present, black parents and elders don't say shit!

and then they hate me when i'm down in Cape Town doing blow off white girl tittays.

lol

possible solution?

WOW.

thanks for the heads up on this.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Andile Mngxitama will be on 702 tonight at 22:00 talking about circumcision.

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile

WOW, thats great, so he will be talking to a white middle cla** audience about circumcision!!!!

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

WOW, thats great, so he will be talking to a white middle cla** audience about circumcision!!!!

basically. tltltl

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Andile handled it very well. you had some really good points. I was really expecting him to drop some ignorance but he didnt.

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
the nigga knew we had that ether locked and loaded for him

That not good enough for ya?