Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Spectacular in Vernacular

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
A lot of cats are being criticised for not including vernacular in their rhymes,the argument is vernac makes the music authentically south african.Rapping in english only, alienates Msanzi ma**ive,look at skwatta...as an example that including vernac works but the counter argument is that we live in a global community and if you want to be heard far and wide , then you should use a widely spoken language.What do AGers think? :-?
If you are irritated by every rub,how will you be polished?" Rumi

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Sistergirl like Konfab says
U speak truth about reaching international audiences and all.
But we gotta take it there with a unique approach.
Everyone is rhyming in English BUt some have iller rhymes and better grasp of the puo.
What can we take there that will set us aside from the rest and make people wanna go to a record store and buy?

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
yo sistagirl,i get what you sayin´ but i reckon if you´re a whack mc you´ll suck in any language but in order for me to appreciate your whackness i have to understand or at least have a basic idea of your speak...

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
Quote:

07-09-2004 at 19:29, machiavella :
but i reckon if you´re a whack mc you´ll suck in any language ...

:-)  :-D  :-]
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Anonymous

Whenever i hear ppl argue about that, i can´t help but think, ´Hey! whatever´s clever´

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
i think the whole language thing should´nt matta if u tyt u tyt even if you ryhme in sign language...English is the language of ma**es it reaches all and some of the African languages do not have much flow but if i was a sista who could ryhme ill probably spit in XHOSA 8-)
 am hell behold!

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
at times i think mc´s lose the plot when spittin´ in vernac; hell some even try to directly translate what they are tryin´ to say without regard to context and the shit gets lost in translation (literally) and then they just don´t make any sense. vernac is suited for people who have a firm  grasp of the tongue...
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

Anonymous

Rob One here. Isn´t it a question of what each MC feels? I don´t spit in vernac cos I can´t (altough I do speak some Zulu so I don´t know...) but there are some MCs who feel more comfortable in vernac than in English. My rule? If it sounds dope, I´ll bump it.

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
check it out, south africa is so next level right now, just keep on, keepin´ on and south africa will eventuall blow up UK style back with the beatles, rolling stones and the sex pistols, just on some level NEXT,
YEAAAAAHHHH BBBBBOOOOOYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
A truly successful emcee is one who speaks to their audience so clearly that we feel the track so deeply, that the first time we hear the track we dont hear all the lyrics or understand them, anyway.

I speak very lil french, but I dig MC Solaar and Iam madly, it just sounds tight. I dont speak Zulu but f***, I think H20 is tight. Good hip hop trancends language, I know the tightest shit in the world comin from right here in mzansi, in english, afrikaans, zulu, xhosa, and surely the rest of our languages. Dont be afraid to use vernac, we hav to find a way to combine ALL the elements of who we are as South Africans to develop our unique sound that will attact attention to our high standard which already exists.

1!
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
ok, so you think H2O  is tite,have you bought their cd?,if so why not?....the way it works for me is that as far as rap is concerned the lyrics are important ,the beat will attract me for sure ,but the words are the substance....i want to be able to sing along...its very important to me! ;-)

Blaque_Poetess

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
i don really think language is THAT important, i think the message behind your music can transcend the language barrier. I don speak french but i luv les nubians, i feel them deeply even though i can hardly understand what they are saying. Thats the beauty of music, it has sum strange spiritual ability to connect with ur soul, no matter what language its delivered in. BUT but but...i do believe that an mc who can rhyme in vernac, be relevant and still entertain etc, is a brilliant one. I think rapping in vernac shud be encouraged...
H2o-hmmmm mixed feelings on them. Sumtyms they sound nice, sumtyms they dont....

born

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
i share that sentiment on h20
sometimes they tight, but their rhymes on heavy 8 (listreners....)????????
people see what they want to see. out of a ma** of detailed information, they tend to pick out those facts that confirm their prior perceptions and to disregard those facts that bring their perceptions into question" -someone

Blaque_Poetess

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
heavy 8 is a TIGHT track, but even if h20 were not on that track it´d still be hot. Look i think they hav their own flava(kwaito vibe) but i dunno bout they rhymes, i only like 1 track on the album I´m an African with Zubz but yeah im still tryna make up my mind if they can even be cla**ified as hip-hop...mo like kwaito-hop

the brand®

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
when u suck in english well u suck and i will never let u forget that.
but when u suck in ur own language..........ooohh u down for count like for mad real..son
shit u can rap in indian for all i care but if you suck u f***ed.
:-P
P.S girl dont have mixed feelings they do suck.....h2ho´s

dragons and swords
  VISUALISE>IMPLEMENT>SUCCEED>TRIUMPH.

[ This message was edited by: childakapoet on 16-10-2004 19:49 ]