Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Kanye West

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
I found this article on the net while checking out some on the man.Its pretty interesting and also he mentions what equipment he uses.Enjoy.

Byline: Ken Micallef

You may not know him yet, but hip-hop producers don´t come much hotter or hard-working than Kanye West. During the past six years, the 26-year-old has racked up triumphs with such big-money movers as Jay-Z, Foxy Brown, Nas, Alicia Keys and Eminem. How does he do it? Not with any Digidesign Pro Tools or Emagic Logic rig, that´s for sure. "I don´t use a computer or a lot of equipment in my studio," West declares. "What do I need all that stuff for?"

West uses four primary pieces for sampling, sequencing and recording duties: An Ensoniq ASR-10 keyboard, an Akai MPC2000 MIDI Production Center, a Roland VS-1880 24-bit Digital Studio Workstation and a Gemini PT-1000 II turntable.

"I recorded College Dropout with just that," West says. "I got a record player with no top on it. It´s a Gemini, just like me. Like most Geminis, I am two people: I´m a rapper and a producer. Hell, yeah."

West´s minimalism doesn´t affect his output. His debut, The College Dropout (Roc-a-fella/Def Jam, 2004), boasts cameos from the Harlem Boy´s Choir and a few of hip-hop´s elite - Mos Def, Ludacris, Dirt McGirt (formerly Ol´ Dirty Bastard) and Freeway - as well as some outstanding vocal samples. West doesn´t stress over his skills; he is more concerned with sound and style.

"I don´t give a f*** about equipment or technique," West says. "It is just about how it sounds at the end of the day. My claim to fame is to get the most out of the least: simplify. I go through my closet every month and give away all the clothes that I don´t really love. I have a better chance of putting on something good every morning if I just have all hot shit."

One of West´s trademarks, besides cla**ic ´70s soul loops, is ample use of speed. Almost every other track on The College Dropout features a sped-up vocal sample, be it Dinah Washington on "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" or Chaka Khan on "Through the Wire."

"I sample them at regular speed, then speed them up inside the ASR-10," he explains. "I just put the pitch up on the sampler, and it will go faster. The ASR-10 is like my left hand. I can chop samples into 61 pieces without wasting any memory. A lot of old songs are too slow to rap on. So I got to speed them up to a rappable tempo."

The album´s multiple treats include a searing Lauryn Hill sample (on "Falls Down") and gorgeous choral vocals from the Harlem Boy´s Choir (on "2 Words"). The Choir might be from Harlem, but that is the last place West could find it. "I wanted that track to be more than just another hip-hop song," West recalls. "I wanted the Harlem Boy´s Choir on it, but nobody wanted to pay the $10,000. We wasted $3,500 on Hezekiah Walker, but it wasn´t my vision. I finally said, ´We have to have the Harlem Boy´s Choir.´ I drove all the way to west bubba - wherever - Crystal Lake, where they were at boy´s camp. It was like a place where they would shoot a scary movie. I went through hell to get to heaven on that song."

With "Jesus Walks" and "Drug Dealin´," The College Dropout may be the most socially responsible hip-hop album since Public Enemy´s heyday, but will the average fans get it? West knows they will. "Good music isn´t always about being in the shower with a bunch of chicks," he says. "When DeNiro was working on Meet the Parents, he didn´t wonder if his fans from Goodfellas would like it. Human beings have many different dimensions. Nelly can fill that part of their life; it is for me to fulfill other parts. A lot of people are copying each other, but I don´t have nothing to do with those people."

This article was found at www.findarticles.com

Much luv.

Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Yeah, that´s quite imprressive how he gets so much done with that little equip. The quote about the sound at the end being the most important rather than technique is definately true when your pockets are strapped. Shizzay sounds banging it´s banging, does´nt matter what I used to make that happen as long as noone´s work is getting jacked. That´s my motto. 8-)

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
BIG UPPS And MUCH respect to Kanye but I believe he is just a pa**ing phase.
All the brother does is sample sample sample. Some of the stuff he did for Jigga is styling but they are better producers out there.
I find his ish monotonous and uninspired. It ain´t cla**ics man.

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
 :-Z By the way, I think that interview was done before College Dropout Dropped. Coz
1.Ms Hill did´nt clear the sample, so the used Ms Johnson to sing a "re-endition" of the song. (Mental note if you want to sample vocals and the artist/company ain´t feeling the steez).
2. ODB track did´nt make the final cut. Don´t know why, that track was banging harsh!! Maybe they worried what the reaction would be about the labels not given props "forgot" in the song. If you hear it you´ll know what I mean.

"When DeNiro was working on Meet the Parents, he didn´t wonder if his fans from Goodfellas would like it."  :-] I´mma keep this quote for a while.

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Quote:

07-09-2004 at 18:11, Naturelle :
BIG UPPS And MUCH respect to Kanye but I believe he is just a pa**ing phase.
All the brother does is sample sample sample. Some of the stuff he did for Jigga is styling but they are better producers out there.
I find his ish monotonous and uninspired. It ain´t cla**ics man.

:-Z Peeps been sampling for years. What changes is how it´s done!
West will be around for a while (If L.A. Reid does´nt run the ROC into the ground)-talking about gettiing more diverse artists on the label?@!?! ODB to MOP to Posh Becham is not diverse enough ?:-o

[ This message was edited by: TNG on 07-09-2004 18:17 ]

Anonymous

"Jesus Walks" had a big impact on people where I come from.

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
i echo the chicken head on Jesus Walks,as for Kanye being a cla**ic...i don´t know ,what i know for sure is that he´s the most accessible hip hop artist since will smith and i have a friend who doesn´t listen to hip hop at all but he just bought Kanye´s cd...he´s the guy we´d all love to hate,he´s mediocre at best but he´s got ma** appeal.
If you are irritated by every rub,how will you be polished?" Rumi

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Quote:

07-09-2004 at 19:36, machiavella :
i echo the chicken head on Jesus Walks,as for Kanye being a cla**ic...i don´t know ,what i know for sure is that he´s the most accessible hip hop artist since will smith and i have a friend who doesn´t listen to hip hop at all but he just bought Kanye´s cd...he´s the guy we´d all love to hate,he´s mediocre at best but he´s got ma** appeal.

Here Here!

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
No Doubt.

As for the reference once again to "Kanye is just a pa**ing phase", I don´t think so.I could be wrong of course.WHat I think is, and u can agree or disagree with me on this one, that his style will always keep changing as more and more ppl start doing his thing.Its currently happening cause his style is nice and its inevitable that it will get jacked and possible done even better than he´s doing it now.

So he´ll go thru what we can call a rebuilding and re-invention phase/stage.I mean, he´s been doing this style for years now and he´s just getting better and better everytime.But eventually, u gotta change and move into something new and improved.His time is now, and I am glad he´s taking as much of that limelight and using it to the fullest.He may be exercising his resources and maybe even exhausting his creativity, as he´s busy with so many peeps at the mo.I think he could be dipping into his vault by now, as he mentions on one of his tracks "imagine do 5 beats a day, for 3 summer".I mean, granted not all of them beats were possibly, but most of them were/are keepers.So he´s vaulted up.

But I think he may reach a point like Dre after his Chronic album.he had to reinvent cause everybody was doing what he was doing and sometimes even better.But he crafted his art and too the lead again by reinventing himself.A mark of a true professional.Another example, I feel, is Timbaland.When he came out, it was so different but soon peeps latched onto the style and did his style like him.He hit a stage, where I think, he wasn´t too creative and nothing he churned out was all that great.He went back to the lab and reinvented his style.Juggled it up and now is back and doing his thing as hot as before.Being in the spotlight, mainstream, can be hazardous to one´s career as it exposes u to more beat-biters, but its up to u to take ur art to a new plateau and I think kanye will do the same.

TNG, that article was posted in feb 2004.Another thing, where can I peep a snippet of that ODB track with Kanye?Hit me back some time via email on bricktop@webmail.co.za

Thanx and much luv.

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Anonymous

My thing is, if you really been sampling and playing around with it for a while you´ll realise what Kanye Does is pretty sick... he´s managed to take sampling to a new level.... if you see how he lifts the sample and his drum patterns are really nice,... he creates songs,... everything including a bridge.... the shit he does on Jesus walks, the bridge right after the first chorus, that was different in hiphop, havent quite heard that before.... if you listen closer to the way did (2 Words) my fav joint, the original sample was really freaked.... going back to playing with samples i go back (8 BIT) platforms like Amiga and Atari, shit this nigga is amazing.... thats me personally.... the ART of sampling includes taking something even if its been abused and making it sound nostalgic, i love that, if you can move your parents too at the same time..... then hell ma** appeal reign on.

Im out

DRAZTIK.

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Hey Draztik

Good comment Draztik.I agree with u fully on what u said.He does do so much for sampling.I mean, he´s doing it well, and along with that doing some new inventive stuff with it.He basically wants to keep that original nostalgic feel of the track, almost organic (loosely used description), and he basically re-creates something new out of it.......without compromising the original´s feel, in a manner of speaking.Maintaining the soulfulness of it all.

No doubt, if u can get older folk to vibe with ur stuff, then keep up the goodness.

Btw, Draztik, what u busy with of late?Anything new being churned out?Really would like to know.Also ask u some stuff too.Hit me back via email cuz.My addy is in my post above urs.

Much luv and keep it tight.