Africasgateway.com

Sampling Law - Interesting case

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Dated: 8 September 2004

A new law pa**ed yesterday regarding sampling. It used to be that you didn´t have to clear a sample if it was just a stab or snippet. Now you have to clear anything sampled or "lifted" as they called it.

Peep it:

A federal appeals court ruled yesterday (Sept. 7) that rap artists should pay for every musical sample included in their work -- even minor, unrecognizable snippets of music.

Lower courts had already ruled that artists must pay when they sample another artists´ work. But it has been legal to use musical snippets -- a note here, a chord there -- as long as it wasn´t identifiable.

The decision by a three-judge panel of the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati gets rid of that distinction. The court said federal laws aimed at stopping piracy of recordings applies to digital sampling.

"If you cannot pirate the whole sound recording, can you ´lift´ or ´sample´ something less than the whole? Our answer to that question is in the negative," the court said. "Get a license or do not sample. We do not see this as stifling creativity in any significant way."

Some observers questioned whether the court´s opinion is too restrictive, especially for rap and hip-hop artists who often rhyme over samples of music taken from older recordings.

"It seems a little extreme to me," said James Van Hook, dean of Belmont University´s Mike Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business. "When something is identifiable, that is the key."

The case at issue is one of at least 800 lawsuits filed in Nashville over lifting snippets of music from older recordings for new music.

The case centers on the NWA song "100 Miles and Runnin," which samples a three-note guitar riff from "Get Off Your **** and Jam" by 1970s funk-master George Clinton and Funkadelic.

In the two-second sample, the guitar pitch has been lowered, and the copied piece was "looped" and extended to 16 beats. The sample appears five times in the new song.

NWA´s song was included in the 1998 movie "I Got the Hook Up," starring Master P and produced by his movie company, No Limit Films.

No Limit Films has argued that the sample was not protected by copyright law. Bridgeport Music and Westbound Records, which claim to own the copyrights for the Funkadelic song, appealed the lower court´s summary judgment in favor of No Limit Films.

The lower court in 2002 said that the riff in Clinton´s song was entitled to copyright protection, but the sampling "did not rise to the level of legally cognizable appropriation."

The appeals court disagreed, saying a recording artist who acknowledges sampling may be liable, even when the source of a sample is unrecognizable. Noting that No Limit Films "had not disputed that it digitally sampled a copyrighted sound recording," the appeals court sent the case back to the lower court.

Richard Busch, attorney for Westbound Records and Bridgeport Music, said he was pleased with the ruling. Robert Sullivan, attorney for No Limit Films, did not return a phone call to his office.

Pretty harsh stuff.Also found another interesting list of artists that are almost or impossible to get cleared.Peep it:

UNCLEARABLE SAMPLES LIST:
1.  Anita Baker
2.  The Beatles
3.  George Benson
4.  Tracy Chapman
5.  The Eagles
6.  George Harrison
7.  Jimi Hendrix
8.  Kraftwerk
9.  John Lennon
10. Paul Mc Cartney
11. Pink Floyd
12. Prince
13. Diana Ross
14. Paul Simon
15. Sly and The Family Stone
16. Rod Temperton

VERY DIFFICULT SAMPLE CLEARANCE:
1.  Aretha Franklin
2.  Art Of Noise
3.  Henry Mancini
4.  Steve Miller
5.  Otis Redding (Abco Music)
6.  Stevie Wonder
7.  Led Zeppelin
8.  The Rolling Stones

PROBLEMATIC CLEARANCES:
1.  AL Green
2.  Soul II Soul
3.  Barry White

MORE QUESTIONS ANSWERED:
1. Is it worth bothering to clear samples?
Yes.  Copyright owners are eagered for their track to be reused or redistributed because it can result to extra royalty payments and renewed interest in their music.

2.  Is it true that if you sample less than 5 seconds of a track, you can use it without getting sued?
No.  If you use samples without permission, you are illegally infringing the copyright of both the song and of the recording.  

3.  What are MCPS and PRS?
MCPS (Mechanical Copyright Protection Society) is the a**ociation that works out what mechanical royalties a copyright holder is owed whenever another copy is made of their song.  
PRS (Performing Rights Society) is the a**ociation that works out what public performance and broadcasting royalties a copyright holder is owed wheneverf their track is publicly performed or broadcast.

HOPE THIS BODES USEFUL TO THE AG Ma**IV.Much luv.

Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

larry_atoms

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hiphop.nu
thats doodoo. this is not progression. its contrary to the f@cking laws of evolution
om juan   big sam   larry atoms   dna mod

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
 :-o  I´mo just become an engineer
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Its pretty hectic, no doubt.Its all majorly due to the whole piracy of dvd´s and cd´s and all this fake good hitting the streets and markets.Its crappy with this whole clearance of even just a simple sound or hit from a track, that doesnt even sound familiar to anybody.

I´m just thinking of some tracks that my buds´ crafted, or even some of mine, peeps dont or didnt even have a clue of where it came from even after playing them the originals.Though I see the point of it on one hand, I also dont see the sense of making it so confined on the other.I think they should re-review this whole issue (law), and make it more open, not so extremely harsh.But hey, maybe its just time to say forget that noise and break the rules.If the whole hip hop world just does its thing, the way its been done, then we´ll continue churning out the pete rocks, Primos, etc. of world.U cant stop an incredible force of goodness.If we confine ourselves.......then we could rob ourselves of creativity and some madd nice heat on tracks.Whichever way u wana see it.

Gonna still be some debate amongst peeps bout this law.Keep it on lock.Much luv.

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Quote:

09-09-2004 at 17:54, MaddStone :

VERY DIFFICULT SAMPLE CLEARANCE:
1.  Aretha Franklin

That´s fuccked up cos i have a tight Aretha sampled beat, that i wanted to clear. Oh well.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
so,what if you don´t clear your samples? how do they monitor and regulate this law?i know that a lot of kwaito musicians in Msanzi don´t bother about such things!!!
If you are irritated by every rub,how will you be polished?" Rumi

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
I guess if you don´t sell a lot of records, then it doesn´t matter. they won´t gun for you. Remember they have to pay lawyers and what not if they decide to take the legal route. But if you´re doing Brenda Fa**ie numbers then u better believe they´ll come after you.

On the flipside though, i think there where some cats in the DRC who sampled some old record from their country. The son of the composer heard this, and sued the group, cos he was protecting his dad´s legacy. The group had to remove all CD´s with the song from the market.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Its a sliding scale as u say MrC.I guess if u try clearing the Aretha sample, u may be successful.Worth trying.

Also, if u dont sell many or they dont think u´ll sell Brenda numbers, then they really wont care, I think.I also got that dilemma cause I was messing with a nice Tracy Chapman one with the hope of using it for something I was dabbling with, but maybe that wont come off anyways, as she´s impossible to clear.But we´ll see, maybe go no holds barred and just drop the thing under the radar.:-)

But ya......unfortunately, thats the cookie crumbling at the mo.Much luv.

FT

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Iz another conspiracy agaainst hiphop...? :-o
How many times are they going to try and shut it down...in vain?  :-o
They know damn well dat sampling it´s the core of hiphop...
IYASKO___FT!