Africasgateway.com

9th Wonder - Interesting Interview and Perspectives

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Hi All

Found this interview which was done earlier this year with 9th Wonder.Give good look into the man and his views and thoughts, also regarding Fruity.Check it out.

9th Wonder: Changing The Game
By Jigsaw

Few people fully understand how 9th Wonder changed the game for producers. In 2003, he created one of the most fan-friendly trends, remixing entire albums. He took Nas’ God’s Son and revamped it into God’s Stepson. Since, a slew of others have followed suit, with largely favorable results.

His work with his crew Little Brother was a throwback to the great producers like Pete Rock or Marley Marl, those beatmaestros that held down entire albums. AllHiphop.com talked with the 28-year-old prodigy that went from Little Brother to Big Jigga in one summer.

AllHipHop.com: What made you start doing these remixes, especially the Jay-Z project?

9th Wonder: They were releasing the Black Album acapella anyway, and I know nobody was going to expect me to do it since I did God´s Stepson. But cats don´t understand is one of the main reasons I did God´s Step Son was not only because it was acapella, but because I really wanted a chance. When you remixing somebody´s joint it feels like your working with that person. Everybody is going to want to know what I did to it. I got my dream.

AllHipHop: To actually be on the album?

9th: Yeah and also I got the chance to work with him and not just that, but on one of the most historical albums ever, The Black Album, his last album. I got my dream shot. Other than me there were three cats that did Step Son or did a Nas record. I´d rather just sit back and watch cats do whatever and jump on it. It´s like when 50 Cent came out with a mixtape just talking, remixing other peoples songs. How many you know were coming out doing that?

AllHipHop: The mixtape thing is getting real old now.

9th: Exactly. I´m waiting to see who puts out what and then I´ll put out a joint, but I´m not really pressing it.

AllHipHop: I heard you were the first one doing it remixes like this.

9th: Yea I did it first, then Soul Supreme did Soulmatic and then MF Doom did Nastradoomus. Then this other cat did Hova´s Son and took all of Nas´ acapella´s and put them over Jay-Z beats, which I never heard before. I guess it´s something I started, remixing old records. For a long time, cats would put acapellas over beats and keep it for themselves. Me? I put it out there.

AllHipHop: So what´s Little Brother up to, anything new?

9th: Well we´re trying to get a deal with a major, we´re in the works of doing that. We´re working on a new record, trying to get guest appearances and hope everybody will be surprised as to who our guest appearances will be.

AllHipHop: On the album?

9th: Yea, we´re trying to raise this backpacking group. Outside of that whole label, rap is rap. And there is dope music and there´s wack music, that´s how it goes. We are trying to find dope MC´s whether it be from the underground or Louisiana. It don´t matter, dope songs are dope songs. But that´s what we´re trying to do now and hopefully the Jay-Z thing will help us out.

AllHipHop: A lot of people call you the new Pete Rock.

9th: Yea. It´s like this, you always know that cat that you grew up with or went to school with that had the nice ride? They had this they had that. But Didn´t really have to say nothing to no girls, didn´t have to develop a personality or talk game? I quote, "It´s the same way with music." So all these cats that got all this stuff, but no feeling of Hip-Hop music in their soul, their music is garbage. On the other hand the cats who ain´t blessed with all that, as far as equipment, they take what they have and flip it. That´s why Pete Rock is the master of the SP 1200, because it´s 12 seconds of sampling time but he takes that 12 seconds and flips it. You know what I´m saying?

AllHipHop: Yeah.

9th: So all that big studio and all that that doesn´t impress me. I´m really concerned with what´s coming out of it. Your finished result. It´s nice to have a cool setting, but what´s the point of having all that if you can´t work it?

AllHipHop: My brother still has the ASR10. It´s not really the equipment, it´s you.

9th: Kanye uses the ASR10 man. I mean make n*ggas change and do what your doing, don´t follow so much. A lot of people came down on me like, why do you use fruity loops? I ain´t have a choice. I did this beat for Jay-Z in the studio from my laptop. He listened to like 29 of my beats, but he didn´t choose any off that CD. I guess he was seeing if I was good enough for the job. So I did it in like 20 minutes and he was like man, I haven´t never seen nothing like this before.

AllHipHop: So you were right there in Jay-Z´s face making a beat?

9th: Well he was in and out, but he told me what he wanted me to do, because he gave me a idea for a song, that´s why when you read the credits it says "Produced by 9th Wonder for The Planet" and at the end it says "and Jay-Z." He gave me the idea to chop the song up, but I was like give me 20 minutes and put it on Pro Tools. It´s just the fact that you got to change the game. It´s my way of changing the game, because I ain´t about to learn no machines. For what? I made it this far, why should I change.?

AllHipHop: Well going to a major the stakes get even higher. How do you feel about taking it to the next level? Your going to have budgets and videos, but the bottom line is the money.

9th: Who you are before you get signed is who your going to be regardless. Some people get signed and they change, become a better person because they might have been a terrible person when they were young, but they learned over the years it´s not the way to be. But one thing I can say about myself and the rest, we country boys man. One thing you notice about down south period, like my man Phonte says, "There´s a lot of honesty in our music. And there´s honesty in our souls." Our parents raised us different. Our parents raised us on southern Religion as opposed to up North, where its not really a big thing. We approach life a totally different way and we just want to do records and get paid for it and do the best we can do. I´m really not afraid of budgets and this and that, our number one goal is to make everyone else´s records sound terrible. That´s our number one goal. Like "our record is dope, but you hear that Lil Brother record?"

AllHipHop: You guys are really different from the majority, like the south is known for getting crunk and wildin out, how do they feel about ya´ll down south?

9th: Well being that we don´t have a video and we´re not on BET nine times a day, a lot of people don´t know that we´re from here. I´m in North Carolina and a lot of people here don´t know that there´s someone born and raised in North Carolina who´s on a Jay-Z record, because everybody relies on TV and Radio so much. A lot of people don´t know who we are here. One thing I do know about the south is that when cat´s find out that your from here they´ll support you.

AllHipHop: So who else are you producing? Are you having any new people hitting you up for you to do stuff for them?

9th: Just cats in the Justus League. The industry isn´t about taking a whole bunch of risks. Once they see the success of Lil Brother it´s going to flip the industry upside down. We already the talk of labels. Everybody´s like "who are these cats, where do they come from?" They got this unique sound but they can´t put us in the box. It´s not soul or Underground so what is it? And they are trying too much to put us in a box instead of putting us out there. I definitely got a wish list of who I want to work with.

AllHipHop: Who´s that?

9th: Ghostface, Faith and Usher because they make dope songs and their albums are very dope. Mobb Deep. Just cats like that because we´re second generation rap stars, so it´s like all the people I want to work with have either been out for a long time or I´ve been a fan of their music for so long and I really want to work with them. Now I want to do something with Nas.

AllHipHop: You never heard back from that did you?

9th: Nah.

AllHipHop: He had to have heard it.

9th: Yeah he got it! So hopefully he heard it and will call me up.

AllHipHop: He got to because truth be told your version was better than his.

9th: Well a lot of people wouldn´t believe that, but there are a lot of these cats that are learning. And a real underground cat is just as bad as a cat you hear on the radio all day. I´ve gotten from underground cats "oh you worked with Jay? Man I don´t know if that was a good idea." What do you mean? They just started listening to rap and now all of a sudden they want to tell us how to think and we all 26.27.28 years old and we know what time it is.

AllHipHop: I just talked to Pete Rock and he said he´s the Band-Aid to Hip-Hop. Do you feel similar to that? I consider myself an 80´s cat, so when I see cats now I don´t see much in them. Even artists I love, I always compare them to a G Rap or Kane.

9th: It´s not much there. Them n*ggas made money but it was a certain integrity there and cats don´t have integrity anymore. It´s just like the Jedi. In order to be a Jedi, you got to know how a Jedi walks and talks. With Pete Rock and DJ Premiere they speak at interviews but when it comes to performing they don´t talk a lot. They speak with their music. Now if you´re a producer that can rhyme that´s a little something different like a JD or Kanye West. Even still producers are supposed to be the humble cats that sit down and chill but when you hear that beat you´re like wow. They supposed to be that and a lot of those cats they don´t understand. It´s just the generation destroying the game, like you see they got closed minded, and cats that sit and watch 106 everyday and feel the only thing that exists in rap music is the countdown. There´s so many that know better and those are cats that need to fix the game. People try to switch up Jay-Z´s perception, like they think he don´t care about the culture. That´s crap. He did in a month that some cats that claim they can rhyme and all that can´t do in seven months. To put together they album and make it sound good in a month, what rapper you know can do that? I don´t know any rapper that can do that. All they see is he on TV with all these girls.

AllHipHop: How old are you?

9th: I´m 28, the beginning of 93, Illmatic, Doggystyle, all that was the corner stone of hip-hop in that year in a half span. I stayed broke; I bought new albums all the time.

AllHipHop: Sometimes I blame the older heads too because they don´t teach them anything about those times.

9th: It´s really hard to teach. You can´t really can´t teach a group of cats unless you get somebody to come speak, if they see the pa**ion on your face they´ll understand. In my CD case I had Ghetto boys, NWA, 3rd Ba**, all at the same time, but cats feel you either got to be all down south or underground.

End.

Much luv.Keep it all good.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
nice

Murs "3:16 9th ed" is the best ish I´ve heard from 9th Wonder this year. Dude is on a winning streak.
ABAC - A change gon come!

Anonymous

hey Fah fee

where can I peep that Murs joints?In mp3 format perhaps?Sample snippets perhaps?

Much luv.MaddStone.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Yeah Mrs 3:16 is the Ill ish. That track 3 (I think) "Bad Man" is nice!
Think 9th did that quick sample thing better than K.West on that joint!
Too Bad its only like 35mins long!

Hope Nas finally gets back to 9th about working with him. I got Gods Stepson & I thin like 75% of it is better than some of the stuff on Gods Son & Stillmatic.
Mad$tone where you at? I can make you some copies in MP3.. :-]

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Yo don´t forget to swing those mp3s ´round herrre to.

I like his answer as to why he was using Fruity Loops "Because he HAD Too."
:-]

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Hey dont forget to try get your hands on the Chitlin Circuit Mixtape a compilation of Lil Brother hits. 9th does his thang on that joint!
Look out for "I See Now" feat K.West & Consequence Awwww!

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Hey Sensai

How u doing cuz?Thanx for the confirmation of the tightness of 9th wonder.His time is a coming.U say he did the fast sample better than K.West on that stuff.Gotta check it out.

As for the mp3´s, I´d really appreciate it greatly cuz.For shure.U think u can email it perhaps to me?Or how u wanna do that thing?If u can email it, u can get me at bricktop007@yahoo.com; I should be able to access them there.I remember Stillmatic was tight and I think a little better than God´s Son, but u saying that God´s Stepson is better, man thats saying something bout 9th wonder´s genius.Its all to do with madd creativity, and he´s got that in abundance.Also, he´s got a madd pa**ion.

So yeah, Sensai, hit me up some time via email.Hope to hear from ya soon.Its all good.Much luv.

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Damn all this hype about 9th got me feenin for that new Little Brother album!

Anyways If you can I suggest you check out his production on Masta Ace´s Long Hot Summer Album on a track called "Good Ol Love" WOW!

Also got some Justus League joints he produced and they blowin me out the water!
This is how Hip Hop´s Supposed to sound like!
Anyways I´ll MP3 them joints & mail em to u but theres a LOT of ish I suggest just puttin em on a cd 4 ya. When U coming to JHB?

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Hey Tate

U making me fiend for them tracks now.Thats statement "this is how hip hop´s supposed to sound like", is a pretty brave statement and I am sure its well backed up with the joints u possess.

If possible, could u send me like a few via email, and if possible can I send u my postal addy maybe via email?Just hit me up on email then I´ll reply with my mailing addy.As for coming to JHB, I think the likelihood is slim, but maybe end of year.If that pans out, then I´m gonna hit u up so we can get connected that time.Would be tight.

Keep it tight cuz and hope to hear from u soon and them joints too.Much luv.

Anonymous

I big fan of 9th and Kanye. If you go to kanyewest.com, he has a whole discography section and u can cop those songs. As far as 9th wonder, i heard that track prod. by him - "i see now" with kanye and consequence, and ever since i have been after his beats. Knowin that this cat uses fruitly loops to make his beats made me feel stupid cuz im all tryin to go out n buy one of this machines thinkin this shit cant be done on fruity or what not, when the fact of the matter is i just dun know enough about the program.  imma leave some of ya´ll some track titles, because this music is too good to not share.

CONSEQUENCE "TAKE EM TO THE CLEANERS":
3. So Soulful ft. Kanye west & khayree
10. I See Now ft. Kanye & lil brother
11. And You say ft. John Legend

MASTA ACE "A LONG HOT SUMMER":
Beautiful
Da Grind
Good Ol´ Love prod. 9th
H.O.O.D
Big City

9th production:
Murs - Freak These Tales
Jay-z - december 4th remix
Spectac - when i rock
State of the Art
Memphis Bleek - Be Alright
Justus league - two extremes
Murs - Hustle

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Some good suggestions there..
9th is truely "Wonderful" on beats..
I wonder what our local producers like battlecat, Nyambz and The Innovators think of his work?

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Had the good fortune of meeting the chap n the rest of the little brother crew in a small vynil store in atlanta,

must admit... I didnt know much about him at that point... this was just when the little brother album came out... so i listened to it, bought it...and god´s step son

And I was blown away...

The man´s got so much soul in his beats... continuing the line of marley marl, pete rock and primo (mostly like pete rock actually). He flips the pitched up vocal thang better than anyone else.. kanye aint shit.
Beats are very FULL and complete... none of that empty space shit you hear in commercial music these days... every beat´s got its own little story...
The drums are quite simple though... not alot of ´funk´ perse but it adds to the charm - pulls the beats along... almost as if the drums drag the whole thing forward...

... f***it need some coffee

It´s something thats been lacking in all the new shit comin out  - hih pop.

ootz

• DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE OH TEE ZEE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-0
  • Ootz Tha Afronaut
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ootz85
yeah i agree, the beats are niceness. lil brother however are pap, wastin beats but anyway who am i to complain. i cant even rap :-W
XO.WITHTANK.COM