Secrets of clarity and understanding...

Phill Banxx

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
  • Oh ahahahahaha you STILL here?
    • View Profile
    • Have Plenty Music
NNXT Sampling of large .WAV files:

The NNXT has not won awards for nothing....

Forget cutting files with an external editor, the START and END knobs represented on the bottom of the LCD screen accompanied by dials with % metric will do wonders. Do not confuse with the Loop Start and Loop End dials.

Make a drum loop however- loop one if need be, load a whole song u´d like to cut from into the NNXT sound file sampler and draw eight bars till the R loop locator on its piano roll. Press play and notice that the sample will start, depending on the song with silence or a fade in which is generally not what you want to sample, stop the song and turn the START dial to 5% and press play and the sample will start at 5% of its whole (u can work out megabytes to minutes as a percantage if u wanna get deep), use the START dial, pitch and octave knobs to get it looping correctly and just scrool through the song with the START button till you find the part of the song you are looking for.

You can also use the END dial to do the same process in reverse, ending the sample by cutting away a % of the sample from end instead of the beginning. You could so use the START and END dials to make a sample loop which starts and ends where u specify it, combine that with mapping multiple instances of the sample zones to MIDI keys and you can create some seriously sick loop layering.

.......smoke....

[ This message was edited by: BecomingPhil on 21-10-2004 09:11 ]

Phill Banxx

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • Have Plenty Music
TO Quantitize or not to quantitize.

Quantitizing is, when u have reached a reasonable level of expertise in beat mining, a double edged sword. This is of course Hip-Hop production we speak of and if you listen to your favorite Pete Rock, J Dilla or whatnot track closey enough you will find that they use quantitizing VERY sparingly.

The organic quality so sought after in Hip Hop since its inception is partly caused by sequenced instruments or samples sounding more like they are being played, in other words unquantitized. Those milli and nano second f***ups create a ´humanized´ effect.

This effect can be duplicated even when u don´t have access to a keyboard or an instrument. The catch is that you will have to work in a medium where quantitizing applies- such as the piano roll on fruity or Reason or drum maps on cubase and Logic.

When u have finished sequencing ur notes, select your highest quantitazation setting ( sumn like 1/64) and liberally move ur notes OFF a couple of pixels from the bar or snap point, making sure that u vary between the amount of pixels u move each note.
This will mimmick playing a keybord or other instrument, but to really get it to where u want u have to factor in velocity of notes.

Make sure ur sampler or channel velocity setting is active (eg tied to usually volume and frequency modulation) then aslo draw sum life into the velocity of the ´unquantitized´ notes. This especially usefull for short samples used in a Primo fashion and rhodes keys.

U will notice that the offness gives the pattern a roundness which quantitized patterns just don´t have.

.........fire......

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
dont get the first post??? whats NXXT?

......no heat....
ABAC - A change gon come!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
NNXT is a sampler in Reason 2+.

Phil: NNXT has downsides too...

If you load big samples, seeing that the lowest denominator of the start n end dials end at one digit after comma (eg 99.9) u cant always get exactly to the spot you need.

But the biggest f***up is that there is no timestretch capability - which is a MUST.

Heard u got sum nice beats - wanna hear em.

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

Phill Banxx

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • Have Plenty Music
" NNXT is a sampler in Reason 2+.

Phil: NNXT has downsides too...

If you load big samples, seeing that the lowest denominator of the start n end dials end at one digit after comma (eg 99.9) u cant always get exactly to the spot you need.

But the biggest f***up is that there is no timestretch capability - which is a MUST.

Heard u got sum nice beats - wanna hear em. "

Well that is given Ed, but it´s how u prefer to use it is what counts. the timestrech feature is easily accomplished by using Recycle which is built in in the Reason 2.9beta update and is much more reliable than fruity´s timestretch or sum other external editors like cool edit. Then again sum peeps don´t use timestrching but rather fit the sample or whatever by pitch tuning and correct placing. Anything goes man...

I´ve heard whack shit from a MPC and tight shit made with a kiddy keyboard with no MIDI...it´s how u use it that matters at the end of the day.

I´m having trouble uploading me tracks cuz of our bandwidth here but i´ll give y´all sumthin soon...

........water.......

the brand®

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Child if u don´t use reason then u r just as lost as I am.

YOU PHIL>>>>>>>Upload that shyt.

the brand®

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
Quote:

22-10-2004 at 16:28, Naturelle :
Child if u don´t use reason then u r just as lost as I am.

not in the mood for clarity hangover is a killer :-[

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Phil: I agree...

Not what u use but how u use it...
Even though I been dissing reason thats what i been using for my beats:
http://www.soundclick.com/nastieed" TARGET="_blank">www.soundclick.com/nastieed

though i have been seeing some of it´s limitations and starting to work with some other programs.

Though all i REALLY want is an MPSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

:((

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Hey Ed, waht up cuz?

U peeped the first issue of Scratch mag with dre on the cover?Some producers talking bout them MPC´s and all.Man, the hardware that some of these guys acquired, like on the secondhand market.......its pretty hot.

Anyways, on another note, I got into contact with Hype yesterday.I mentioned to him bout the Fro Pick producer/s opening.So he´s bout that.I told him bout how u were digging his stuff.So maybe in next month, we can all hook up and just chat.U know, just regulate on the conversational vibe.We gotta do.Tight.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
sounds dope
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Phill Banxx

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • Have Plenty Music
ReDrum: Automation Vs. Note/Drum Map editor sequencing....

The ReDrum is a straight foward drum machine based on various vintage anolog drum machines such as the ASR and Akai MPC series. Fruity Loops being the first introduction to computer music producing for many, leaves them scratching their heads when they move onto Reason´s drum sequencing.

This mini-tutorial a**umes that the reader has at least learned to make a simple 4 bar loop in 1/16th resolution. FL drum sequencing differs not in any way from its note sequencing and as a result many who move onto Reason draw their notes on the drum map editor instead of using the ReDrum controls located on the module itself thereby depriving themselves from the wonderful benefits of pattern track automation.

Now, this is only partly true because there are techniques that allow for automation of drum maps but that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of scope for right hurr and now. Let me show a simple method of breathing life into your dead drum patterns. Make a 1 bar loop on the ReDrum ´MODULE(! not the drum map or note editor)´ using whatever samples you please. Then notice the pattern buttons at the bottom center of the Redrum, 1 and A should be highlighted informing you which pattern you are working on. Play the loop 2 make sure u are satisfied with it and then, while keeping the ReDrum selected, press Ctrl+C or Apple+C(whatever OS u use) to copy the pattern.

Select pattern 2 on ur with the pattern buttons and notice that it is empty. Press Ctrl+V to paste the pattern you copied. Listen to it and make some amendments....add a kick or snare somewhere. When u are satisfied go to the Note editor making sure the ReDrum is selected and its note properties shown. Notice above the velocity pane there is a pane with a long yellow stripe running alongs its horizontal perimeter which says A1. On it´s leftmost side of the pane there should be a dropdown button where you can choose patterns. FIRST, on the note size quantitize menu on the top options of the note editor select BAR then, go to the pattern selection dropdown button and select A2. Leave the first bar on A1 then draw A2 for the second bar, third as A1 fourth as A2 etc...till loop locator. Press play and notice that every bar the pattern changes.And there you have your simple  variety.  

Now get deep and make sum more patterns using the  same method ascribed above, just use A3 A4  A5 etc.. if and when u run out of pattern space select B on the pattern buttons and continue till you fill that up and so on...then simply draw the corresponding bar on the automation pane and you´ve got a kicking drum pattern.

*Secretion*: If you have a grip on note size quantitization then you can understand how crazy you can make a pattern sound if 1/8 of the bar is playing one pattern let´s say A1, 1/4 of it plays a different one let´s say A2 and the rest A3 or whatever you have drawn on the ReDrum.......bwoiiiiii....no more intricate mouse work on the drum map for sick breaks on a hiphop track or drum and ba** or bounce style cuts.

.............Wind..........