Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

The Longest Sentence in Literature

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Well, I posed the question and I found the answer to my quandry.This is pretty hectic.How do u do this and keep it coherent?Amazing.Read on.(Wonder if it is coherent):

Many people attribute the longest sentence in literature to Victor Hugo. The claim is that a sentence in Les Miserables, 823 words long, earns that title.

The source most often given for this, if a source is given, is Timothy Fullerton´s Triviata: A Compendium of Useless Information, published in 1975.

Unfortunately, Fullerton was in error. At best, it is the longest sentence in French literature, though I can´t confirm that.* Traditionally, the longest sentence in English Literature has been said to be a sentence in Ullyses by James Joyce, which clocks in at 4,391 words. Past editions of The Guinness Book of World Records have listed this record.

However, Joyce´s record has recently been surpa**ed. Jonathan Coe´s The Rotters Club, published in 2001, contains a sentence with 13,955 words. I believe he currently holds the record in "English Literature."

However hold on to your seats...

There is also, apparently, a Polish novel, Gates of Paradise, with a 40,000 word sentence. I have been unable so far to find absolute confirmation on an author. Bramy Raju, written by Jerzy Andrzejewski, and published in 1960, translates as Gates of Paradise, but it has been described as a novella. And while there is no absolute definition of that term, novellas are usually shorter than 40,000 words.

Finally, there is a Czech novel that consists of one long sentence -- Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age by Bohumil Hrabal. It is this novel that Coe has said inspired his 13,955 word sentence. Hrabal´s ´novel sentence´ is 128 pages long, though I have been unable to find an exact word count. It most likely takes the award for longest sentence. Even if it doesn´t, it dwarfs Hugo´s significantly.

Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
hahaha........yip I def agree with u on that one.

I think I´m gonna bore myself and explore a long sentence and see what it yields.My efforts shall be rewarded, or I´ll just lose interest and move on to something more exciting.

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
...i think the trick is to put in as many conjunctions as possible...

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
MY LONG a** SENTENCE

I walked to the grocery shop because my car would not start as it was winter and so the engine froze but i had to get there because i needed some milk which i was going to use in a cup of coffee designed to pep me up from a long night´s work in the deepest of winters which could only be described as absolutely and horrifyingly cold like the North Pole which I intend to visit so that i can see some polar bears and meet some Inuit who can teach me how to fish properly with success.

exactly one hundred words Madd

[ This message was edited by: Sunshine on 30-11-2004 17:41 ]

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
hahaha........that is just perfectly interesting.Wow, I think I´ve met the ideal collaborator for this mission of pointless discovery.Would be cool to try our hand at an extremely long one, about 50 times longer.U think it possible?Could be a fruitful challenge.And I like ur conjunctions........they work well. :-]

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
I´ll be happy to go for it! ...no lyrical content my mother wouldn´t approve of though... as pure as sunshine... ;-)

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
yeah, serious.Lets actually try this one out.We can see if we can submit it to the Records and maybe, just maybe, they find it amusing enuff to use.Imagine that?Wow.

So yea, lets keep it clean.

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile

dja wanna start... or continue where i left off? we can just build on from each other that way our brains wont get fried....how about we submit a hundred words a day?

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Sounds plausible.I noticed u got the better gift of gab, cause I tried just now and I felt my brain was fried.But what I think may happen is that I´ll bounce off ur energy and aid in creating this masterpiece.Lets do 50-100 words a day or even more, however good ur feeling.That would calculate to less than one month that we´ll be done.All we´ll need to do is edit here and there and we´re good to go.I think punctuations r allow though.

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Great! so lets just keep posting on this thread then... we can cut and paste it together right at the end.... are we aiming for 5000 words..

Your turn tomorrow

for someone with 829 posts you cannot possible be experiencing brain frazzlement from 100 words
:-P

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
If all is well tomorrow, I shall def be posting something.Shall we try and keep some sort of plot in there or must we just see where the tide carries us?

As for brain frazzlement............I could be experiencing what many ppl do later in their musical careers-----lack of inspiration and total wackness.Or I could just be fiending to get home kwikly.lol.

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
... well, it can be the existential meanderings of this particular subject.... so then it wont need a plot!

why else would some talk for that long and not stop...

unless they were Gatsha Buthelezi...

check ur pm

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
... well, it can be the existential meanderings of this particular subject.... so then it wont need a plot!

why else would someONE talk for that long and not stop...

unless they were Gatsha Buthelezi...

check ur pm

[ This message was edited by: Sunshine on 30-11-2004 18:19 ]

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
yeah Buthelezi is full of it, and he cant be stopped.If he could he´d go on forever.