Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

We´re all in the same bed...

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Recently I have been noticing some debates going around as to the general quality of the material that has been dropping and been hyped-up in and around the context of this forum.

One thing that stands out is that most of the time the feedback is overwhelmingly positive whit little negative criticism...but when certain individuals opt to speak their personal minds they tend to be brought down in flames - or a marauding firestorm rather.

okay...now here´s my opinion. And once again (well not exactly once again cuz up until now I´ve kept my mouth shut) I risk being brought down in flames too.....but err.....f***it:

I am a very critical person... when I say that I like something and think it´s dope... I MEAN it. I think the PTA shit is dope.... I think hype is dope... I thought one of ootz tracks was dope... i thought madscientistphil had some pretty dope elements.

Now: some ppl might get offended but I am saying what I am saying because I am hoping that people will be HONEST about their opinions and not just say that something is tight because they know the person who made it or even just because of the mere fact that it is local.... i didnt like most of the Hypocalypse mixtape.... I am not too impressed by the innovators (NB: i´ve only heard a few tracks)... and there´s alot of dickriding going on on this forum - (DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE ALL MY OPINIONS).

Here´s the deal: I want south african HipHop to be BIIIIIG on a world wide scale. I want peeps to work together... no matter what city we´re in or whatever and be inspired by each other.... and up the quality to the point where we can expose the immense talent, creativity and SOUL we have in this country and blow everyone else away.

We´ve gotta get to the point where we are honest with each other and not afraid to speak up when we DONT like something so that the GENERAL standard by which local hiphop is judged is RAISED. Otherwise stuff will...for the great part be SUBSTANDARD.

When I hear someone better than me... I get inspired to work harder... When someone disses my beats shit....constructively... I work harder...

i HATE it when ppl step up to me and are like ´DAMN MAN YOUR SHIT IS SOOOOO ILL´ when i know its not..... I HATE when I just played a wack set and 5 peeps step up to me and are like ´DAMN MAN... THAT SET WAS SOO ILL´ - I wanna slap them.

And this is a general trend I´ve been noticing all over SA n CPT. There is FAR TOO MUCH praising going on....and NO REAL CRITICISM WHATSOEVER...

If we wanna build a cosy collective of ´soso´ producers and lyricists who are all content cuz everyone seems to love their shit... lets keep on what we´ve been doing.

But if we wanna GET BETTER AT THIS SHIT.... FAST.... LETS UP THE f***ING PAR.n stop sucking on each others a**es.

So... PLEASE DISS MY SHIT AND TELL ME WHAT YOU DIDNT LIKE...
Cuz from now on...thats what i´m gonna be doing....

Instead of telling me (You/him/her) that my (your/his/her) shit is ill cuz it sounds better than Piet Retief´s beats from potchefstroom... TELL ME MY SHIT IS WACK CUZ its nowhere near as good as PRIMO´s...

[ This message was edited by: DJ_Nastie_Ed on 04-12-2004 16:43 ]

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Hey Ed, what up cuz?I havent read this thing u posted yet, but just wanted to get at u my son.

Listen man, dont know if u got this message yet, but I posted it couple times on different threads.Dalinquent who´s with Hipe´s crew would like to link with u and talk beats and stuff.He´s planning to record and drop a solo next year, but is scouting for producers and all.Maybe u guys could work something out there.He likes the beats u played when we all linked up at Hipe´s.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
K... 4 shaw.

Been slowly getting back into beatmakin again. Will def hook him up with some shit... Lemme know when u guys r hookin up.....
Matter of fact... why dont we have a little tea-party sometime... Ill bring the herb. Come to marvel sumtime bruddah. U ever in town?

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Ok, finally got to read ur post my good man.I think ur request is pretty fair and welcomed.

One thing I gotta admit, when peeps u refer to that be dissing other peeps´ stuff.......peeps sometimes just on a whole "ur wack and u suck" kinda vibe, which doesnt help in any way.I vibe to the fact that criticism thats regarded as being "negative" is welcomed, provided that its constructive too.I mean, how the heck r u actually gonna get any good if all the peeps just tell u that ur stuff sucks and that ur wack, without breaking it down for u.And I know, Ed, ur one honest dude and r all about elevation, which is something I got respect for all the way.Also, ur one to crit and say where work needs to be put in or even suggest which artists to listen to to improve on skills.And this is the type of "negative" crit that would be needed.I use the N-word in quotes to illustrate that its not negative in the bad sense, but rather in a helpful way to illustrate that u can now use these views from others in the know to jack ur skill up and ur game can be tighter the next time around.

truth be told, one is never really happy with any of ur beats in total.I think even the best of the best are never 99% happy with their beats.The longer ur doing it, the better u become at it and u know what works and what doesnt, but ur never completely in awe, if ur a perfectionist.I can imagine how stressful its gotta be for a guy like Dre.Man, that must be hectic being him in more ways than one. :-]

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
While u simmer on the "secret" herbs, I´ll just sip some good old tea.Hope they got Glen tea.I´m just luving it man.I´m hardly ever in town of late.Most of what happens with me, happens this side though.But I shall "stick out" at Marvel when I´m that side.Just wont be able to stay long though.Always like to be home the same day.Keeps me fresh the next day too.:-]

Anyways, I think we should get together soon.I think we can try and arrange something for next week cause I also wanna chat bout that collab project thats bubblin in my head all the time, that eesh is also thinking bout constantly.

Yeah, dalinquent is really excited to drop something next year.And I think with u and Hipe behind him.....man, its gonna be something truly tight.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
ed,,, i´ll be there tonight to tell you that you are wack (especially if you don´t play my shit!)  :-D

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
hey Dp, u back cuz?U all moved in and stuff?U got ur set-up in order now?

Hope all is well my good man.

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
some of us never get feedback so I cant relate...

or wait!

that could be THE message  :-o

ABAC - A change gon come!

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
its a pity that DJ Nastie feels the pressure to comform but i´d like to congradulate him on finally being honest about stuff and i understand the fear of not being "liked" on the forum but its important that there are different views , as diverse as AG ma**ive.

About the hyphocalypse mix tape,i got mixed reactions from different people,some liked it a lot to my suprise and others simply said its the sound of whackness ,most people who like it are not fronting or trying to please anyone, they genuinely feel it ,but what i´ve noticed is that the majority of the people who liked it are  your  average hip hop fan and those who thought it whack are the so called headz.

I´ve heard worse, case in point the Mysterio and Snazz D mixtape,i´ve already posted  my opinion on the hyphocalypse...i wasn´t saying it  to get tate to like me or to make him feel better...its difficult putting a mixtape together and sensai tate and crew deserve to be commended  for their effort.

I also agree with Maddstone,everyone can criticise but its better if it´s constructive feedback,point out the weakpoints and be specific so that next time they can be aware of it and build ....we´re all in the same boat ,we all could learn something ...each one teach one... 8-)

i have a suggestion, write us an honest review on this  here thread ,don´t just say you don´t like it...review it ,i´m curious as to your honesty... 8-)
If you are irritated by every rub,how will you be polished?" Rumi

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Hey Ed, we could be hooking up like we did last time, with Hipe on tuesday coming.But still to be confirmed.What we may do is meet with him tuesday, if possible, and then arrange a meeting for the weekend to link with u as well, plus get dalinquent in the mix too.So we can all just bounce ideas.

ootz

• DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE OH TEE ZEE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-0
  • Ootz Tha Afronaut
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ootz85
ive learned to shut the f*** up on shit unless if it is pure doo doo.im like the swiss, mad nuetral.just an onlooker. if i have no comment, i honestly have no comment.
XO.WITHTANK.COM

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote:

05-12-2004 at 00:27, DJ_Nastie_Ed :
conform? What am i conforming to?

what i got from what you said is that you feel like you´ll be judged if you don´t agree with the popular opinion...but i might be wrong...i still think it´d be cool if you wrote a review of the cd as you see it,get it out there and see what ´appens

coolness and Jah bless my broda
If you are irritated by every rub,how will you be polished?" Rumi

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
u misunderstood.. it gives me great pleasure not to conform. up till now when i´ve disliked summing i´ve kept quiet - not cuz im afraid to speak my mind, but cuz I´m not gonna post shit and just diss, coming off hating without constructive criticism...      and constructive criticism takes time- i´m lazy.

But from now on i´ll try to do just that... and I hope other producers will do the same.

As to the mixtape... no offense... the first two listens I gave it i did not feel like it was worth the bux i dished out - and thats usually a good indicator....  a good (IMHO) track is one that moves me in some way the first time I listen to it - a feeling that gets stronger with every subsequent rerun.

Gonna try to write a short crit on the beat aspect of the mixtape (i´m a producer... i listen to the beat first - then concept - then flow - then lyrics)..... what i liked and what i didnt like...