Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

underground and mainstream

RuSh · 57 · 10548

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
innovation, progress and idiosyncracy of style - sourced somewhere from within yourself, your culture/belief/uniqueness

(i thought Common's 'Electric Circus' was tight)

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Sensai_Tate"
I cannot walk into Musica or CNA & Pick up "The Send off" this makes the Send Off UNDERGROUND

lol, you had to slip that in there!

hook me up. :wink:
ABAC - A change gon come!

KnoLejEternal

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Sensai Tate, DJ Nasty Ed and Blackrhoze make good points.
I think people throw around the term underground hip hop alot.
We should use the notion of Independant hip hop more.
I have to say though i do not like most mainstream/big record label releases... not to say all of them are terrible, ill still bump a good commercial album i.e. Nas, any day.
Wont lie, i just cant handle bubblegum-hip-pop-made-for-clubs artists.
Personal taste in the end isnt it.
I hope people realise what real hip hop is, based not on whether its commercial or underground, but actually on the quality and the message of the MUSIC!

Piece
One

Misterme

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Tate: I didn't say "rap is hip-hop", I said rap is a part of hip-hop and the two can't be seperated. Matter of fact, let me quote myself: "An mc is rapper is an mc is a rapper, rap is a part of hip-hop, and that is that so be it."
 That's what I said.

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
how long do you remain underground? mobb deep was underground what are they now?
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

Anthony

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +3/-8
  • Wisdom is knowing when you can't be wise!
    • View Profile
cats should stop expecting hip-hop / culture to take the place of God and fill the void we all have:misery.salvation is not a device of man
Chosen

Tarstar

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Quote from: "eef_haf"
Quote from: "Sensai_Tate"
I cannot walk into Musica or CNA & Pick up "The Send off" this makes the Send Off UNDERGROUND

hook me up. :wink:

1:Skwatta is signed,can u find they music in Asia,No so they not underground thou u cant find they shit at other countries

Tell me guys, can u say I'm Underground if I got a distribution deal (w/out havin signed to a label ) and made a music video independently,is that underground just becoz I never signed?

ok my take,that aint been underground coz its almost like I made my own record company but difference is I cannot show u the legal papers,when I get enough money I might get them and use the same marketing or promotions I was using b4 I got the papers,I dont think thats underground.

born

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Ive said it over and over and over again, and i wil say it again. THIS TOPIC IS EXHAUSTED. PLAY WHAT YOU LIKE, WHAT APPEALS TO YOU AND EVERYBODY ELSE WILL DO THE SAME. WE SHOULD STOP DEFINING WHAT HIP HOP IS, IT EVOLVES JUST LIKE ANY CULTURAL FORM. If i'm feeling at artists music, i feel it, cop it, i don't care if its underground or mainstream/commerical.

you only independant till you major
immortal teknik
people see what they want to see. out of a ma** of detailed information, they tend to pick out those facts that confirm their prior perceptions and to disregard those facts that bring their perceptions into question" -someone

born

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Izzo@SydHop"

Also - Underground Hip-Hop consists of MC's being true to themselves while Mainstream/Commercials consists of MC's trying to live out an image which is not them.

i find it ironic, whats so true to you about " my biological raps will tear yo lungs, atomic bombs radiate spectroscopically infuriatinf furious metabological pshychological consenindingments". Admit it, jay-z is more true to himself that most of your so called intelligent rappers, he says it straight forward, you play around with meaningless words or pointless sayings.

Thats why i mostly aint into that stressfull ish, i just bump my zubz, sudan, pros, common and some of that type of stuff.

No offence to the fan but cats should be ware of their statements about whats real or not. most this stuff will end up like company flow, anti-pop consortium.

jus my opinion.
people see what they want to see. out of a ma** of detailed information, they tend to pick out those facts that confirm their prior perceptions and to disregard those facts that bring their perceptions into question" -someone

born

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Izzo@SydHop"

Also - Underground Hip-Hop consists of MC's being true to themselves while Mainstream/Commercials consists of MC's trying to live out an image which is not them.

i find it ironic, whats so true to you about " my biological raps will tear yo lungs, atomic bombs radiate spectroscopically infuriatinf furious metabological pshychological consenindingments". Admit it, jay-z is more true to himself that most of your so called intelligent rappers, he says it straight forward, you play around with meaningless words or pointless sayings.

Thats why i mostly aint into that stressfull ish, i just bump my zubz, sudan, pros, common and some of that type of stuff.

No offence to the fan but cats should be ware of their statements about whats real or not. most this stuff will end up like company flow, anti-pop consortium.

jus my opinion.

iLL_eG0_AL13n

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Micheal Jackson is one the best break dancers to have ever lived... bboys break dance... bboys're hiphop cats... break dancing is Hiphop... Micheal jackson is Hiphop

i dont give a f*** about what is what anymore shit!! this topic is played out n tired as f***!
img]http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/N/16062005125945_NewAGSig.JPG[/img]
[size=22]Liƒè'§ Ill, sØmëti(¥)ë§ lìƒë (¥)ìght Kìll...[/size]

mulmens

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
One shouldn't define hip hop like that. It creates a dividing line that can't be removed. Hip hop is hip hop as long as you do it properely and it comes out proper. Commecial hip hop, tite! Underground hip hop tite! Hip hop awesome!
eace means Love

Nappy Head
http://www.getitfree.net/xcgegnns

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I don't buy into the whole underground/ commercial thing. being 'commercial' does not make an artist bad, nor does being 'underground' make an artist good.

It could possibly be argued that, generally speaking, underground artists should have more integrity as their music does not have appeal to the lowest common denominator - there are no marketing constaints imposed on them,,, but this doesn't necessarily mean that their music will be 'better'.

Few 'underground' artists actually take advantage of their freedom to experiment, break the rules, or express their uniqueness,,, preferring to hide behind their own formulaic style.

In fact, the 'commercial' 'constraints' imposed by record labels often make for better music (their insistence on world-cla** composition, world-cla** musicians, world-cla** production etc).

the integrity of skwatta kamp's music has suffered, not because they sold 80,000 records, but because they are making formulaic music. They could still could write a hot track one day though.

Tarstar

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile