Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

What!? Beatsampler...

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Sup peeps.

Nice to see that ppl are startin to upload n show some skills. Its only good for everybody. Good to get inspired by other ppls improvements.

Time to take it up another step. Heres a beatsampler i put together... 10+ beats - total running time is about 7 minutes.

Check it out.

I dont ONLY make beats for mc's. Some of these tracks are more compositions. Very focused on always capturing a moment of musical and harmonic 'soul' in every beat. Not everybody into that all that much (u wont find dark grimey shit here)... so this might not be for everybody. Feedback - as always - appreciated.

Btw. all these loops (well most) are painstakingly constructed. Mostly composed riffs usin reason instruments. i NEVER just sample a whole loop from a record and just stick some drums and effects on top of it. So the longest sample snippets u hear are no longer than a second . if long sections sound sampled its cuz its been constructed that way... All samples arranged in way to try to make musical progression unique and different (indistinguishable from original), which IMHO is what makes a 'producer' vs a 'beatmaker' - (check out primo, hi tek etc - cats will never just lift a sample and not change it to make it their own style).

Always heavy focus on drums... 2 of the tracks use sampled drum loops the rest are constructed layerin samples (especially for snare- always layer 3 of 4 snares on top of each other).. n phattened up usin compression eq etc.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
aight, no idea why *.wma files only work as a stream here,
so if u wanna download it then click on this link.

milk

• AG Moderator
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-2
  • YEBO GOGO
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
cool

wma sorted as well.  always a work in progress this attachment thing.

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
damn busy downloading ur ish...
ed u seem 2 be on the same tip as me where u based, id like 2 do some colab work when i get some free time

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
woah man, u just over took phil as my fav producer on hier die forums, really digged the first beat listening to the rest...

what are ur influences when it comes 2 ur ish
some nice rhodes in all the tracks and the drums and ur unique sounds...

now i sound like a grioupie
:P

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
haha. I'm flattered chap.

Influences?
- Primo (should be quite obvious at times - i could write a master's thesis on him) - sample placement and use of space
- pete rock (those ba**lines.... n horns)
- hi tek - creatin new sounds from samples and effects
- dj shadow - drums and musical compositions
- my man 37mph
- my man Playtek aka tone deff junkie aka dr shade (drum n ba**, electro producer)
- madlib (no comment needed)
- jaydee (those tight clappin drums)
- prefuse 73
- dj krush
- dj numark and cut chemist been a strong influence

very influenced by funk.... rythm and use of space
alot of rock and jazz influences ... chord progressions n shit.

eish man... i dont know.. kinda hard to pinpoint influences. i dont really limit myself to a style... i do alot of electro orientated stuff aswell... with heavy distortion n shit. then also try to make some more grimey dark ish... i just love music. Listen to anything and everything... always analysin when i hear songs...no matter what styles... and anytime i hear something they do that i like, i will try to first understand it then reproduce it.

based in cpt btw

gotta go make sum money n rock a crowd.. peace

milk

• AG Moderator
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-2
  • YEBO GOGO
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Hey Ed

Hope u rocked the crowd like Boogaloo shrimp and pogo sticks.Ok, that just came out all wrong.LFO made it sound so cool on the Summer Girls track.Ah man, I guess when u look at things in script, it just aint as cool as when u say it.

Anyways, I'm thinking this is the sampler u blessed me with cuz.HIPE was just inlove with the popping sounds of ur drums and the creativity of the rhythms.U know, I really like ur insight into the whole producing aspect of things, more musical shall I say.

But u know, everyone has their own style and their own way to do things.I notice that producers are a strange breed of creature.Some luv taking entire samples as is......some just like taking a blip if anything.And we all create these interesting musical landscapes.I do whatever really.I've sometimes thought of things and ways to go about doing things, but I've come to the conclusion that I do things better when I trust my gut.If I wanna take a longer chunk, I'll do it or just a blip, I'll do it.I realized I do this for a reason.Its just to blur the lines.Cause I dont really like to be stuck with one thing.So I switch it up all the time.Its all phases.One time sampling like crazy, the next, just str8 original.Weird but cool at the same time.

ANyways, a lil off topic, but I'm down with ur stuff son.U got skills.And apparently groupies too.Just wish the gals would jump on the bandwagon as well so easily.lol.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
as soon as ur music creation process becomes formulated u loose the "soul" or "funk" or "hipness" of ur beat...
i mean look @ thebeat ppl like lil'john release sometimes, u can actualyl predict where he's goin wit the beat like 80% of the time

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
yeah first time i connected with nastie ed was at the red bull academy heard some of his beats and felt it same time hey ed that red bull shit was off the hook
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Still thinking how lucky u folk were to get to check out and meet peeps at the red bull academy.Man, thats a nice experience I'm sure.Big ups to u for getting the chance.

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Ya.. the redbullmusicacademy's gotta be one of the highpoints in my life:) Learnt so much from so many amazingly talented people. Just being immersed in music for a month - non - stop was very inspiring. Prince Paul, Steinski, A-Trak, Amp Fiddler, Hugh Masakela, Osunlade, Tony Coleman ... know whaddim sayin.

Gotta be careful not to let your music become too formulated. Otherwise you dont really improve much... always gotta keep experimenting with new things. Some people use a formula very effeectively and still manage to bust out beats that are very unique in their own way (...Primo).

Personally i seldom set out to make a certain kinda beat. I just f*** around...find some little thing that i like... which i make the centrepiece of the beat (sample, chord change, rythm), then i build the rest around it to make the inspiration sound more ...err 'justified' (if that makes sense).

You can make any strange sound sound cool in a track... if u wrap enough shit around it (like soft harmonics that complement the sound) to make sound like it really fits. The trick is to build 'highpoints' in a beat. People always remember the 'best part' of a beat.... A beat that is pretty wack most of the time but has that one TIGHT moment will be appreciated more than a beat thats decent but pretty standard throughout.

Use all the various instruments sounds to complement each other... Find the best moment in your sample/riff etc. then ENHANCE it, by adding a ba** note that 'hits the spot' at the point and a drum arrangement that just makes that particular moment ill.

Listen to primo's shit... he's the master at it.... You will notice that he trigger's his samples with the drums etc.... the best part of his beat will fall onto a snare or a kick. Then he will leave space between those 'best parts' for the listener to digest what he just heard....

Having a moment of ILLNESS automatically makes the silence or space between those moments ill aswell.... cuz the human ear/mind will fill the gap... Listen to 'Drop it like its hot' (yeah i know alotta peeps cant stand it)...but they do the same shit. Not alot happenning in the beat.... but the shit that IS happening is damn cool. Doesnt matter if theres times when nothin exciting going on.... it leaves space for the listener to build anticipation when that TIGHT moment comes again... and the listener enjoys the anticipation as much as the moment itself. Make any sense?

Enough of my pseudo-intellectual breakdown.
Its not healthy... but can be useful

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
hey Ed, I hear what u saying bout Premo.

I kinda have a feeling though that he stumbled on his greatness by accident.I have this feeling cause most tight stuff happen by accident.Its almost a fact that things happen this way.But fact remains, doesnt matter how it happened or happens, its what u do with it from that moment on that really defines u and ur impact u may have or may not have.Sometimes logic needs to be thrown to the side in order to make something really tight.

Drop it like its hot, I guess in some respects represents that for most.I personally never liked the beat, but I see ur pscho-analysis of it.The synth highlight sparks something in ur listening, and for most, does the trick.For me, left me just annoyed. :lol: But hey, a million sales later and number 1 hit status, the point was made.Who am I to argue there.Just my view.

Nice breakdown Ed.U got to meet Prince Paul too?Hey, thats tight along with mixing it up with Premo on the decks in San Fran.Oh man, nice story to tell ur grandkids one day and they gonna flip out their minds if they really feel music like u do.