Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

what is the Hot Box Show?

eef_haf · 18 · 3232

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
My mans, DJ X-O hooked me up with this mp3 mix and there is a recording of a tight south african radio show called the Hot Boxshow on it. The presenting is kind of disorganized but the best thing about it is that they talk less and play loads of underground music. Didnt get to hear all of it but I even caught some freestyles on it.
So whats the deal?

ABAC - A change gon come!

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
its a radio show from UCT RAdio, in about 2000, run by Groundworx and Tino Murira, the ORIGINAL TINO Touch. Kaptin and I were still students then, I was Programming Manager and we needed some diversity in our hip hop programming and Kaptin and Mambila had the biggest collection of "underground" hip hop i knew.
If the show isa bit messy its probably one of the early ones,  I hadnt finished training Kaptin and Mambila yet.
It got quite tite after a while, it ran till 2002, when Kaptin and I left UCT.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
major props.

I a**ume you are still doing radio?

I think the one I have was on a Steve Biko Day or at least it was dedicated to him because they kept talking about and giving him "shoutouts".

wish my old univesrity had dope shows like this when I was there. :cry:

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Quote from: "eef_haf"

I a**ume you are still doing radio?

This is the one time you can a**ume and not make an a** of u and me. 8)

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
smarta** 8)

ok, no need for "payola" from now on

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
i'm sorry I dont get what you mean.. by
"no more'payola'" ? :?

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
its a joke

dont think you would really take payola

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Oh contraire my good man, plenty need for 'payola'... I did community and student radio for 5 years for nada but experience and the luv, but shit now i got bills to pay an fukit I paid my dues.
Now, If the money aint rite we gon fite!

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
chea.

how do you get a Community radio up and running?

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
learn to wax, polish and kiss alotta a**....well

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
First you need to motivate a license to ICASA or relevant national broadcast control body, this generally means paying a research company to provide stats motivating the need for a radio station for a niche in the market which is both unexploited and large enough to warrant a license.
Size of bandwidth you can get depends on no. of peeps you gon be broadcasting to. However this costs money...
The way UCT RAdio started was as a pirate station for 7 years, without the knowledge or support of the institution of UCT itself, finally sum1 at ICAS or the IBA as it was then known, cottoned on to the fact that the RAMS listenership figures were refelcting a station not registered with them.
That brought kak, for the brave souls who started UCT Radio station, IBA took them to court and initially UCT Senate sed "FUK U ur on your own!".
A student outcry changed UCT's mind cos the Station had a lot of student support. A deal was worked out to allow UCT Radio to apply for a dual Community/Student license and keep running cos the niche made itself heard.
That was back in the early 80's and uptill I left every three years UCT radio went thru the hell off license re-application, even though we fulfilled requirements and grew listenership and adherred to mission statement, it never got any easier.

So really if you want to start a Community radio station, you need shitloads of cash, and i do mean shitloads. Think a**ets and liquid capital in excess of a million rand, no lies, good broadcast equipment is fukkin expensive.

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
^^^^ OOHHH yeah..... sweaty, suit-wearing a**.... and sumtimes they want more than justa normal kiss :x  :x  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  .... bad memories, very bad memories :(  :evil:

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
^^ lol

:sad face:

Thanks. Very informative but very discouraging at the same time.
I have always been a huge fan of stations like Voice of Soweto and Kathorus FM and I always wondered why they got shut down from time to time. I guess it's consequence of the power struggle that's always taking place behind the scenes.

Internet Radio and "Exclusive" Mixtapes all the way!

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Pirate Radio my man....

Just start doing your shit.... once you got a support base and listenership you might even get the necessary capital in form of sponsorship and advertising once you tryin to go legit.

Mothercity fm (think thats what its called) - African Dope venture in CT is busy doin it...

We need that shit here...any0one remember Spectrum 91.3?????