Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Emcee's in S.A need a reality check

Scissorhand

• Foot Soldier
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I think SA rappers need to stop sounding like their favorite overseas counterparts then there'll be some for real dope shit popping off. I still don't think there's one SA rapper that you can put up there with your Jay-Z's, MF Doom's, Nas' or Andre 3000's. Why? coz most of them are still trying to convince us that they can spit when that should be an automatic requisite. There are no MC's with balls like Ice Cube in SA. I've found most rappers I've met down here are socially misplaced(read:not cool), shy and could never bring it to a niggaz face the way their overseas counterparts do. Most rappers here have an aquired calling (Fan Rappers) but not to get it twisted I've heard traces of follow through in our local boys but who are we kidding? no one is half as dope as we make them to be. Personally I think Snazz The Dictator is the closest thing to a real rapper without the corny gimmicks that come with bieng "mzanzified' and Prokid is on some shit to. But for now my bets on Snazzy D that nigga is rediculous. He's got his own style and its so him. Other cats bringing it are:
Tumi aka Talib Kweli
Proverb aka Canibus
Zubs - don't al three of these niggaz sound the same.
Zos\Young Nations - he's f***ing dope. cats should look out for him.
Gemini - he needs to put out more shit
X-Amount - brother is also original in a major way

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
thats very much tru alot of people feelin SA hip hop but can our shit be placed on a univeral platform how unique will our shit sound.what i also been noticing is that everybody loves hip hop all of a sudden and crowds woe when someone spit but half the time u cant make out what they saying and alot of peeps rhyme bout nothing
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

Scissorhand

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Who do you think is killing it right now on alocal scale though?

KnoLejEternal

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Hmm
Scissorhands, kinda sounds like you contradicting yourself a bit.
You want SA mceez to hold it down like US ones but they must still not sound like them...
Im not getting Xactly what ur sayin.
Tumi>Common
Tumi is the GOAT SA Rapper.
Along with
Zubz (Listeners digest was the Illmatic of SA rap)
and
ProVERB ("The Book" is a bit short but im lovin it none the less)
true, im also feelin Snazz D.
anyway.
i dunnow.

Later

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i would say that it's not just SA rappers that don't match up to the rappers you mention. you have listed the elite. There aren't many rappers in the States that are as good as Nas.

Also, true originality if very rare. But that's not all it's about. You can be influenced by someone and still have something of your own to give.

"There are no MC's with balls like Ice Cube in SA" - I'm not sure what you mean by that? Do we really need scowling gangstas in SA?

Ben Sharpa and Konfab have what it takes I believe (also some of the rappers Nyambz is working with),,, and I think there are plenty of others I could list who have the potential to make really good music - they might never move units like their US counterparts but that is more of a reflection of our music industry than any lack of skill.

The Rappa Rapscallion

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://ag.com
:D

I kinda thank god we ain't bring it like our States brethren.
*Jay-Z played us,made as if that Summer ish was a freestyle on Hot97, meanwhile it was a written song and it's goin on 534(or whateva Memph callin' it)
*MF Doom's (heard u on Gas Face) name is Daniel Dumile.What country u know originally have surnames like that....hmmmmm.I recall his brotha Subroc died in the KMD era
*Nas made Oochie Wally and You Owe Me...fucc it, nuff sed!!
*Andre 3000 sings.My 12yr old cousin wanna spit.I can't play him that shit.LOL

Tumi is gr8.get it out of the way and 'hand clap' like the Y ad sed.
J-Bux is gr8.........aargh, what can I say
Snazz D is totally in sync with the idea of what the phat ish is....love the fact he shot that guy who sang kwaito songs to his lova on the phone-What the budclot?!!?
EJ von Lyric.......fuc it, marry me!
Young Nations is so on point with his delivery, Jonty woulda been jobless had they shared an era.
Isaac Chokwe....who raps like THAT!!
Kaptin'.....(sorry, too busy bowing to write something)
Too many I could mention.WE ARE ON POINT! RIGHT HERE AT HOME. Without Hey Papi.We don't need another Death Certificate
gotta go.5-0 on my a**

Just stole the Alpine outta Eazy's 6-4. 8)
he return of the neva came-check the performance/
where i'm from, i'm the most quoted like i need lotsa insurance

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-0
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
'Cause Boyz in the Hood R always Hard :evil:
Tryna pull a ni99a card'....

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
in my opinion 2-3 years ago ZAs rap was improving at a scary rate, talent was poping off and we started gettin our own kind of feal goin on... 2 years later i think teh biz is slowed down. the quality of our rap has gone up eg production. videos and sound quality. But i dont think we're progressing. Alot of rappers when asin 4 beats ask 4 beats that sound like Dre or whoever US producers . Ppl need 2 find thier own style and sound. AND thats what i think is the hardest part of becoming a BRILLIANT rapper/producer. ZA has reached a good hieght with its lyrical content, but alot of the artists the unique flow.

I personly enjoi Joe Budden alot coz u can immediatley hear its him on the beat... Try make a remix 2 one of he'ssongs, fskin hard coz he rhymes compleetely 2 the beat

im not sure if im making sense , hard 2 put my theories 2 paper.

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Quote from: "Dplanet"
- they might never move units like their US counterparts but that is more of a reflection of our music industry than any lack of skill.

True. If only as much effort can be put into how to shape our "hip hop" industry to function as efficiently as the overseas system instead of the same old tired arguement of level of emcee skill. IMHO production wise, and emceeing wise I've witnessed a sh!*load of evidence from ZIm, Nam, Bots and South Africa to conclude this discussion (elevate the emceeing)as re-tarded/out-dated.

*Jay-Z played us,made as if that Summer ish was a freestyle on Hot97, meanwhile it was a written song and it's goin on 534(or whateva Memph callin' it)

Jigga is/was another breed of emceeing. His pre-writtens existed only in his head and were not transfered to paper via pen unless he was sending someone ghostwritten lyrics. Therefore the whole freestyle/written song argument does'nt apply to Jigga. Just accept dude was the isht.

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
them homies down here are fake most rappers in south africa live their life according to what certain U.S think it's cool

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
Quote from: "daliq"
'Cause Boyz in the Hood R always Hard :evil:
Tryna pull a ni99a card'....

"My name is Nickel (haha), I'm from the suburbs (yeah!)

It's only a ten-minute drive to come and get you (yeah)"

:lol:
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

Scissorhand

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Don't get me wrong I feel the improvement. But the fact remains most South African emcees even the creme de la creme (Tumi, Kaptin, Snazz tec.)are only as dope as they are within a South African standard which isn't that high. Let me put it to you like this. You appreciate a dope S.A emcee more for his ability to compitently flow on a track, rather tha for his style(Dope for a South African). For me personally though on a positive note I'd have to say that my money's on Snazz D. He, for me, is the closest thing to a real rapper Mzanzi has to offer.Without the twang, homeboy talks to me with his own shit.If I wasn't from SA and I heard him I'd feel his zone. Everyone else sounds like a third world clone

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Do you think it's impossible for any MC from anywhere outside the US to be 'authentic'?

i have heard a lot of weak rap from around the world - i do feel a bit sad when i watch MTV base and i see all these cats from nigeria, ghana etc who really are US.clones making rnb/hiphop/dancehall pop music.

But, I have to point out once again that for every Nas, 50 Cent, Common, Madlib (whatever your preference) there are 100,000 crap US cats just as bad as anything you'd hear anywhere else in the world.

Just because they have a multi-billion dollar industry brainwashing the rest of the world, it's easy to feel like they own the music market. You only have to live in london for a while to feel the sense of national pride and identity that comes through the music there. People love their local music because it reflects their own lives - they aren't striving to be Jay-Z or Eminem, they are doing their own thing. Critics might argue it's not as 'good' as what comes from the States, but they, like you, are missing the point. It's good because it's doing something US music can't do,,, it's talking to the local audience.

Don't tell me that ProKid wouldn't tear up a party in Soweto more than some unknown US rapper whose music we'd never heard before.

I'll admit that our local music is still suffering from a lack of access to studios and know-how - every hip hop movement has had to deal with this and we'll get there in the end. We're also suffering (like everywhere else in the world) from being a little too influenced by the US - this isn't such a big deal either,,, MCs are finding their own voices more and more every day.

US rappers are also influenced by certain individuals too. Just start trawling through any US web site where unreleased artists post their work - 99.9% is totally shite.

I'd rather listen to Anon, Kaptin, T.O.P, Hyphen, Otis, Konfab, Oracle Flow, Driemaanskaap, Trusenz, Pro Kid, Cashless, Second Son etc etc than *most* US hip hop.

truthkid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
yo dplanet i think u on point man,, but i believe this all boils down to everyones own definition of wots real and wots not. I mean hear wot the cat is sayin bout niggas being influenced by the U.S and all,,, mara f**k it as much as there's a lotta weak rap in the U.S, there's also a lotta good shit down there too> thats y they are the leaders in the industry. And so i ask you Scissorhand- "wots wrong with being infuenced by the best"? another thing is i feel Pro Kid is as tight as a virgin's c*** but people seem to feel he's realler that Pro Verb, wot the f*** for,, just because he rhymes in Zulu? not that im hatin or anything but wud Verb be considerd more "real" if he was change his lyrics to Tswana. that Soweto track by Kid was ill mara hev ya'll given the kimberly track a listen to!?!  
i can relate to what catz like Zubz, Tumi, the PROs(Verb or Kid it dont matter), Optical ill, Snazz D, Konfab, Cashless and a lotta other ZA emcees rhyme about,,, so fcuk wot any1 things they sound like>> fok man sekgowa ke sekgowa!!! Dankie son
roete aan almal tehuis

Ghetto Rat

• AG Hustler
  • "This world is mine for the taking"
    • View Profile
"Whats wrong bout being influenced by the best"-truthkid...i agree with u man.Coz we've got a great artist like Nas who is influenced by the legendary Tupac but still gives us his version of life, the ghetto and reality etc.

Here in S.A. we've got a lot'o cats who are real like Zubz who i just cant figure out who he's influenced by even comparing him to U.S. cats.Andre 3000 sounded dope on Miss Jackson but recently he's more like an R'n B rapper...hes just not Mceeing or rappin.So dont judge a whole population from a sample.

Prokid has fans(diehard-Rodney P 'n friends) in England so it shows that when u r real to your target market an open minded Head from annywhere(anywhere)will feel yo shit.

At the end of the day its about preferences coz peeps got different tastes.
y thoughts stay down-to-earth like a vicious alligator's six-pack! - Golden Shovel