Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Anger Management

The Rappa Rapscallion

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://ag.com
Will Rap Fans Pay More and Fill the Arenas?
nyTIMES 05/07/05

The popularity of Eminem and 50 Cent is undeniable.

While sales of his 2004 album, "Encore," rolling toward 4.7 million copies, Eminem just rallied his faithful with a performance on the annual movie awards on MTV. 50 Cent, meanwhile, is amid a streak of radio ubiquity with singles from his latest album, "The Ma**acre," which, with 4 million copies sold, ranks as the best-selling album of the year so far, and he's soon to appear in his own movie and video game.

Skip to next paragraph

This summer's "Anger Management" tour features Eminem and 50 Cent. Other artists on the bill include Lil Jon, Mobb Deep and D12.

Forum: Popular Music
All of that, however, may not translate into drawing power at the concert box office. As organizers kick off their "Anger Management" tour on Thursday near Indianapolis, the concert business - which relies heavily on aging rock stars and is desperate to reverse a slide in ticket sales - is watching to see how far they can go toward overcoming the rap genre's history of weak sales on the road.

There have been exceptions: the "Roc the Mic" tour featuring Jay-Z and 50 Cent in 2003 proved to be a hot ticket, as did the "Up in Smoke" tour in 2000 with Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and then-rookie Eminem. In other cases, tour organizers have settled for playing limited runs in small venues - out of proportion to their rappers' sales - to hedge their bets and protect profits.

But no rap tour has ranked among the industry's top 10 grossing tours in the last five years (at least), even though rap artists routinely reside in the upper reaches of the Billboard sales charts.

The 22-date "Anger Management" tour, then, reflects one of the most ambitious attempts yet to cross the gulf between sales of CD's and sales of tickets. Eminem and 50 Cent (who will miss the first two dates to work on his movie) will be backed up by a deep bench of talent, including the crunk powerhouse Lil Jon & the Eastside Boyz, Eminem's rap group D12 and protégé Obie Trice, 50 Cent's act G-Unit and expected appearances by Lil Scrappy and Mobb Deep.

"If this tour can't do business," said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the concert trade magazine Pollstar, "you've got to ask yourself, 'What would?' "

This time, organizers - who include Eminem, the William Morris talent agency and the promoter Clear Channel Entertainment - appear to be gambling heavily that a rap production can deliver the big numbers: they are raising the top ticket price to more than $91, up from $55 the last time Eminem toured under the "Anger Management" banner, in 2002. The average price is projected to be in the $60 range, up from $34 last time.

The increase comes even as the concert business is buzzing over the need to lower prices to reverse last year's industrywide attendance plunge. Some suggest it may hurt the tour's prospects.

"The ticket prices are high for this audience, and I think they'll cut into the business that could otherwise have been done," said Bill Silva, president of the promoter Bill Silva Presents and an organizer of the "Up in Smoke" tour.

But Paul Rosenberg, who is Eminem's manager and president of the rapper's Shady Records label, said: "We're aiming higher than we did last time, but why not? Last time was a success, and we've got 50 Cent, and he's on fire. I think the price is in line with the demand."

So far, industry chatter suggests sales are soft, though Mr. Rosenberg described them as good and added that rap tours typically sell a heavier portion of their tickets to walk-up customers the day of the performance. "No place is going to be close to empty," he said.

Demand for the last "Anger Management" bill - which included the rock band Papa Roach and the rappers Ludacris and Xzibit - was healthy, racking up an average of more than 14,000 tickets a show as it visited more than two dozen cities. The tour grossed an estimated $15 million - certainly not bad but still ranking it a modest No. 34 among the year's major tours, several spots behind Ozzfest and a Green Day/Blink 182 stint.

Even if demand for tickets is higher this time, it will still probably appear out of proportion to sales of the rap stars' CD's. As popular as Eminem, 50 Cent and Lil Jon are, they are playing the same size venues - in fact, some of the very same amphitheaters - as lesser-selling rock bands. Eminem and 50 Cent, for instance, who between them have sold more than 40 million albums in the United States, are booked to play the same buildings as Coldplay, which has sold 7 million albums, and 3 Doors Down, which has sold about 10 million, according to Nielsen SoundScan

Theories about the reasons for that kind of disparity abound. Many - including Mr. Rosenberg - subscribe to the simple explanation that rappers typically just aren't as dynamic to watch as, say, a pyrotechnic rock concert.

Skip to next paragraph

Forum: Popular Music
"There's probably a long history of people going to rap shows and not getting as much bang for their buck," he said. "In a lot of rap shows through history, you might've had a couple of M.C.'s and a D.J. on a stage and not much else."

In response, organizers of "Anger Management" are trying to crank up the visual appeal of their show - an investment that, like the rappers' lofty performance fee, is reflected in the higher ticket prices. The organizers are also planning to give away a limited number of CD samplers. With a 40-foot-tall set, ma**ive video displays and a state-of-the-art light show, Mr. Rosenberg said, the fans "are definitely going to get their money's worth."

"I think our production values would kick Coldplay's butt," he said.

Another reason for the genre's long-time doldrums in the live business may come from the way rappers progress in their careers. Many rappers - 50 Cent among them - built their early reputations by appearing on mix tape recordings that are sold on street corners and flea markets, not by touring the country in a van while playing live night after night.

"I don't think there is any touring development, in the traditional sense, of young rap and hip-hop artists," said Mr. Silva, the promoter. "Their careers are based around radio and TV hits, and unless they can get on a big tour early on, it is rare to hear about them playing at clubs and theaters as they build a fan base. Consequently, the typical young star with a platinum record has not laid the foundation to build a tour base from."

In addition, the rap genre may also be a tough sell for young fans or their parents as long as it suffers from its perceived a**ociations with vulgarity and violence. Last year, for instance, the already stumbling "Best of Both Worlds" tour, headlined by the rapper Jay-Z and the R&B singer R. Kelly, nearly imploded when Mr. Kelly accused a member of the rapper's entourage of attacking him with pepper spray. Jay-Z then removed Mr. Kelly from the production and continued the tour with other stars.

Even so, the sales were disappointing, particularly given the artists' enormous CD sales, Mr. Bongiovanni said.

Landing repeated albums at the top of the charts "used to be a good predictor" of ticket sales, he added. "That has changed dramatically, and in the rap and hip-hop area, there's almost no connection."
he return of the neva came-check the performance/
where i'm from, i'm the most quoted like i need lotsa insurance

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
interesting.

rappers are generally disappointing live (at big concerts). the music doesn't really lend itself to that kind of live performance. as much as i love hip hop, it's hard to imagine any hip hop artist being able to match the intensity of a live band.

three guys shouting over a backing CD just doesn't really do it, even if you've got 40 ft screens and explosions. one noteable exception was maybe public enemy - they really had their stage show sorted out.

small shows are cool though. live hip hop works well in clubs with good sound systems. i've been trying to get a hip hop tour concept off the ground for a while,,, still think it would be cool to get a truck with a sound system and get on the road to tour round SA with various rappers and singers. big sales only come after you put the work in. Our mixtape culture isn't as advanced as the US and radio doesn't support our music so touring makes sense here. i believe you need to get out of the main towns and get yourself known,,, people are more likely to buy your music if they've seen you.

if i was 10 years younger, that's what i would be doing :)

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
i tend to disagree,

why?

The Roots
Jura**ic 5
Saian Supa Crew

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
why what ed?

yeah,, the roots is nothing but live instruments and they are amazing live.

token412

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
concerts are all good that...
saw red and meth at london appollo (was really good...it took them like 2 hours to get there and there was this idiot screaming every 5 mins yo yo yo keep it real on stage everybody was just like wtf?

then i got the chance to see blackalicious in jazz cafe...
(no drugs or alcohol so that i could get the signal clear)
was chilling in the club Gab,Excel and Lateef was chillin just a few tables away from me.that shit was so personal like 100-200 peeps in that place.
thats the way i prefer it...alphabet aerobics>>>>>>what a memory
ou're looking through all these records and it's sort of like a big pile of broken dreams...

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Ya fo sho, live hip hop has a history of being sadly disappointing..... The Roots excluded of course.
Its actually sad that the vast minority of SA hip hop crews think about the live aspect of themselves as musicians... in fact most dont even think of themselves as musicians. Thing is, peeps DO NOT go to live shows to just stand and bob their heads... you need to incite them jump round and get sweaty.
Listening deep is for at home, and despite what so many heds think.." What, What, Put yo Hands Up! Get Up.. Yeah!!" does NOT constitute a stage show.
Theirs a reason, Godessa, Black Noise, Tumi and The Volume and Moodphas5ive are incredibly popular at the international festivals....Yes they do all do hip hop, It might not be What you consider it, But the organisers of Every major international hip hop fest thinks so.
Anyway,.... the reason they get invited back so often is cos there is sumthing to SEE,.. be it b-boys, or instrumentalists, audiences want to see interactions between people on a stage. It gives them a point of relation.
A lone person onstage letting words fall from their lips is only cool at poetry evenings... and even they never last longer than 90 minutes anyway.
Stadium concert settings put distance between audience and performer and thus they need interaction on stage to keep them intersted.. for this reason the only hip hop stage show I've ever enjoyed is one where the emcees  and DJ's are close to the peeps and get them involved.
We could atke a leaf from our R&b idols books, dancers work.
This might not be very hip hop, but this, is from sum1 who studied audience and crowd dynamics..... who woulda thought this f***en drama degree woulda been worth sumthin :roll:  8O
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
Quote from: "Dplanet"

small shows are cool though. live hip hop works well in clubs with good sound systems. i've been trying to get a hip hop tour concept off the ground for a while,,, still think it would be cool to get a truck with a sound system and get on the road to tour round SA with various rappers and singers. big sales only come after you put the work in. Our mixtape culture isn't as advanced as the US and radio doesn't support our music so touring makes sense here. i believe you need to get out of the main towns and get yourself known,,, people are more likely to buy your music if they've seen you.

if i was 10 years younger, that's what i would be doing :)

That's a nice idea. I've seen cats here do that. It works.

That Anger Management line-up really sounds bad. At least they should get Xzibit. That's someone that's really worth seeing live, very professional.

Underground hiphop works well in smaller clubs. Although they dont have dancers somehow that's how some fans want it. People are there for the lyrics and to get weeded.

Best concert I've been to was Jimmy Cliff. Brought the house down.
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Sho man, Jimmy musta killed it... Best concert I ever went to is toss up tween...
Prodigy- "Fat of the Land Tour: Cape Town"   and
Shaun Escoffery, Omar, Les Nubians and Roni Size and Reprazent at Fabric in London.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
Yeah Concerts suk..the only one i marginally liked was the Da Brat and Naughty By Nature shit, but mainly coz My boys and I bootlegged the tickets for the VIP area had free shit and smoked an L with Da Brat, and Treach, got invited to the After party! THAS ALL I LIKED ABOUT IT, the performances were mediocore as shit, just the drama was fun.

Sweat-box performances are always the best, i don't think i have been to a sweat-box and not enjoyed, like when What What and Len came thru. The BIG shit never really works coz, they tend to make it too rehearshed and to "formal" where as club shit, you get booed and you flip something else impromptu..you know EVERYONE who goes in pays and willing to pay and more importantly make for guranteed fun.

Only problem is usually the security is a joke, THERE IS ALWAYS SOME KNUCKLEHEADS  robbing f***ers, harrasing broads, tryna break into your whip jacking your CDs and ashtray coins, tryna bumrush the club and GOD forbid they let us in!!!  tryna bumrush the stage snatching the MIC...(My boys and I did this at club Khozeni...good thing was that the crowd liked the performance so we did not get kicked out the club) anyway stolen wheel caps and beefing, etc ONLY problem..f***ing Knucleheads...(good ol days)!!!
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.