Let's make a best of SA rap music collection

Supafly · 53 · 7449

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
f*** it,,, i'mma keep repping trusenz even if no one else has seen the light yet.

TATEguru

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hiphocalypse.co.nr
Quote from: "syntactic"
Looking at Supa's reasoning, the anthology should really also have:
Sum Day -  Ancient Men
Kallitz - Die DIng Ruk Mal
MC Khalil - Ebony Flows
Isaac Mutant - Rhymklets
Garlic Brown - Jack.

Before I dispell any of the above could either MADD or SYN motivate by telling us less diverse heads if any of those tracks are widely accepted in any hip hop community in ikapa? What I am asking is "Do any of those tracks popular or ven known by more than say 500 people? If not then they cannot be "Sound of the Times" tracks.
I for one have never heard any of them.

Not dissing afrikaans rap like I have sed I appreciate it for what it represents.I have issues with the roots of t language how it is tied to apartheid past & segregation of Blacks & (so called) coloureds..but thats a discussion for another thread..

SO go 'head I am listening my brothers..
r Hyde to your Dr Jekyl

Supafly

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://
Quote from: "TATEguru"

Before I dispell any of the above could either MADD or SYN motivate by telling us less diverse heads if any of those tracks are widely accepted in any hip hop community in ikapa? What I am asking is "Do any of those tracks popular or ven known by more than say 500 people? If not then they cannot be "Sound of the Times" tracks.
I for one have never heard any of them.

Tate, I know you asked MADD / Syn to respond, but I can definitely vouch for Kallitz. They have had good distro, they've been on telly, they're doing a record with Steve Hofmeyr (!), they're definitely exceeded their immediate target market.

The other artists, I can't really say. I just hope syntactic will hook me up with audio.

P.S. Re Afrikaans artists, I was also thinking that Dallah Flet really should be on there too. That was a seminal moment in SA rap in terms of the user of vernacular language.

PEACE
Supa

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Supa's motivated Kallitz rite ther ^^, Ancient Men's "Sum Day" has been on the GoodHopeFM playlist for the past 9 months, and was on our top40 chart for 8 weeks in the top 20, they've had 2 appearances on television on the strength of that track, Also they've performed at park jams in Ravensmead and belville soccer club to crowds of more than 700... they performed at this years Indaba to a coupla hundred...
Isaac Mutant performed to the same Indaba crowd and so Did this Paarl cat Jaakie, so I suppose he should be on there too.. thing is Tate you define Hip Hop in CPt without knowing enough about it, the few times you been here you done what besides go to Marvel, Hip hop been around the cape flats since the mid-eighties man, dont pretend to know anything.
Garlic Brown, Judah, with BVK and POC,  Khalil performed at the same park jams as the Ancient Men..
So dont come wit your smarmy "EVEN 500 people" statements...............
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
WESSIIIIIDE!    WHUT!!?
*thows up the sign*

The mothercity gave birth to SA hiphop. Dont EVER forget that shit again...
Someone's gotta slap that little fledgeling into place. *SMACK*. Go to your room.

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Well, thanx Supa for giving peeps more info regarding Kallitz.Them boys are working hard and they are doing madd stuff man.Big ups to them.Seen them on the come up and they still putting their all into it.As for their popularity, if I'm not mistaken, they were song of the day on Yfm late last year when they went down to Jozi.And Steve Hofmeyr's a big fan.Madd respect.

As for Ancient Men's Sum day, just to add to what Syn said, they actually done 3 tv spots/interviews already and when peeps hear their sound, they flip man.The shows in CPT, everytime they garner new fans and even non-hip hop peeps are feeling "Sum Day" cause its that gr8.Basically, look out in the coming months, to all non-CPT peeps, for this track to hit radio.This is the track that TBo and his boys seemed to jack, not really great either I might add, but nontheless.Its time the rest of SA caught onto the Ancient Men.Also, they been doing their thing in hip hop for 10yrs plus.They are well known in the CPT underground.Ask almost anyone here and now commercial ears are catching on.

As for Isaac Mutant, he brings heat whenever he meets the mic.He's scary tight.He's been in it for almost 20yrs now.Underground knows him too well.And Garlic, aka Judah, is a member of BVK, but what u hear from him on those records is not even a fraction of the genius that is Garlic.All I can say is if him and Thabs should meet on a track.........DAMN!!!Now thats gonna be heat.

Jaakee been doing his thing for a while too.He's only now recently coming to the fore.Keep a look out for him.Started doing a tv spot not too long back and look to see him more prominently.

Think I'mma have to post snippets of those tracks Syn mentioned.What thinketh u? :wink:
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
4 real Madd, unleash the noise and shatter the bliss of the unanointed.
CPT!!!!!!!!!!! WATTE NAAAAIIIIEEEEERRRRSSSSS!!!!!!!!
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Fair enuff I see cats be ganging up on me..

For the record I never sed I knew all about CPT hip hop. I simply asked cats to motivate which they have done now I respect & accept the motivation.
No direspect just asking mufukkkaz!!

P.S EDMOND can kiss my a**!

*quietly sits down in his place*

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

Supafly

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
C'mon brothas, let's keep that pseudo-kinky, playground shit outta the post.  :twisted:

I'm trying to be constructive, and I need your input - not infighting.  :lol:

We are going to have to think of ways to represent the broad spectrum of SA rap, because some artists are very different. They also had an impact in very different ways. If you were from the Bontas or the Plein, BVK's FNTB will hold a very special place in your heart from 97 or 98. But I'm not sure that track penetrated JHB in the same way. So, we do need to think about how we do this, without neglecting important influences.

Keep it coming like Organized Noise.

PEACE
Supa'

Supafly

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Also, someone is going to have to hook me up with music by Isaac Mutant, Ancient Men etc. Syntac', can you help out?

PEACE
S-F-L-Y

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Hey Supa, Syn can certainly hook u up with the good stuff from the 2 artists u mentioned.The heat will be posted from my side, in snippet form, on this here forum too, though.Will see what I can bout that though, as well. :wink:

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'mma acgree with Dp.Tru got that vibe and I'm curious to hear him do some interesting collabs with different emcee's in SA........him and Ancient Men would be interesting.What u say Dp? :wink: