Hype Mag [October]

Dpleezy · 40 · 9391

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I just spent my last ever R10 on Hype mag.

Fungayi makes a special mention of Cape Town, telling us we should stop being 'bitter' at our lack of exposure and get our hustle on. He also writes a special note on the CD to say that if you haven't got your shit on the CD it's either cause you are 'whack' or because God has decided it's not your time to shine.

I sent the Trusenz CD to Hype mag about 6 months ago. I even called to check if they had received it. They said that they had got it. No love at all, not mentioned anywhere. Not reviewed. Nothing.

I told them about Trusenz opening for the Beatnuts at the Sun Dance Music Festival in Estonia. He wrote a travelogue for them and got great pics of him on stage and chilling in VIP with the Beatnuts. They declined to run the story or even mention it (despite asking for it). No explantion - just told me the story had been dropped, but that they would add it to the news section as a small feature. Nothing there either.

They called me to ask me for beats to go on the CD. I sent them about 15 tracks. They told me that they were going to use 'X' by Trusenz and 'Royal Remix' by Konfab and others,,, I even signed the release form. Nothing on the CD.

I also sent them a press release about the Drudge Dialect Mixtape. Nothing.

I wouldn't call myself bitter, but these cats are just wasting my time now. It's just not professional behaviour. Anyway,,, it's no big deal. I know where I stand with Hype Mag now.

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
f*** that nigga & his mag! :twisted:
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
Whos on the CD and WHO is on the cover?
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Tumi and the Volume on the cover. I'll put a track listing up when I get home.

rhymetodie

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
C what i meant..Cats 4rom tht side are not given chances..FCUK Hype!
u]"Nas is lyin when he says hip hop is dead, he's jst gettin old"[/u]
" Jay-Z is president so he's album is for russell simmons and LA Reid"

Now who do you listen to?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
ok,, just to be fair to Hype, they do feature some CPT artists (G-Sus, Isaac Mutant and others) in this issue,,,

G-Sus has been putting in work. He took Funguyi around when he came to CPT.

I'm just bitching about those cats been wasting my time :)

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
Who is Isaac Mutant?
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
01. I Promise You - Caramel & Ray Gunz
02. Nobody is There - Wizard
03. Focus Your Mind - Metaphysics
04. Entity - 1st Lesson
05. H-Town - Trixta Ft. Guess
06. I Salute You - Kingpin
07. OUOustanding - OUO
08. Rebel Emcee - Lahzee
09. Boo - Isaac Mutant
10. Die Kak Wat Hie Gebeur
11. Doin' Damage in My Native Language - Zimbabwe Legit
12. Whisper Song - Ying Yang Twins
13. Culo - Pitbull Ft. Lil Jon
14. Groupie Luv - 213

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
According to Hype mag:
"Isaac Mutant is the unofficial god of Afrikaans rap and when you flick through a dictionary his face is right next to the term hustler. Boo is off his debut album 'Side Show Freak' available on 072 906 6402."

Tek

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Yo D, welcome to the"I don't buy the wack Hype magazine club"Yo D,

I think your a**ociation with trackpack has gotten you on the opposite side of hype mag, its obvious fungayi wont bump your isht because of your dealings with sydmoney.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Poli-tricks as Usual!

That is a very interesting tracklisting there.
Some great songs from 3 of Zimbabwe's finest to ever do it in

KingPin (R.I.P) [Hope they cleared that nanaMai Tonde  :?]
OUO/ Zim Legit Right does his Damn thang!
Meta - transmitting Live from Germany!

~Looks like this is the Zim edition of HYPE MAG  :?

The following track are a waste of time & space on the CD:

12. Whisper Song - Ying Yang Twins
13. Culo - Pitbull Ft. Lil Jon
14. Groupie Luv - 213

Not the most co-hesive of compilations. I think Fungayi's aspirations to grow the distribution of HYPE may be corrupting the direction of the mag.

Problem with HYPE is that they did NOT get the basics of putting out a good magazine right before they decided to conquer the world. It will always come down to the basic fact that:

"It is not a good magazine & is laden with badly researched badly written articles/ features full of inconsistencies."

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Quote from: "Sensai_Tate"
"...& is laden with badly researched badly written articles/ features full of inconsistencies."

Who knows, this might change for one or 2 articles. :wink:

Moving along...can someone pls tell me or correct me but wasnt that Groupie Luv track on the previous compilation as well?If so, how the heck does it find itself on this one?Also, is this the best 213 track they could get to put on cause I think its a very weak track musically.
As for the Culo track........think I heard it on radio a few weeks back.If it is that one, then I didnt like the beat.....sounding weak again though I like Pitbull and he comes off ok, but that beat does nothing for him.Still PB is skilled.
And now for the Wait song.......my goodness.......this isnt even music.This song is just mindless.Ok, its more like "drop it like its hot" cubed.But ya, had enuff beef with this witless one. :lol:

I notice that Caramel & Ray Gunz have been getting lots of shine from HYPE though.Good for them.They been putting in the hustle and grinding and its coming together.

@ Brick: u never heard of Isaac yet?Ok, then I shall put u onto some of his tightness.He used to work with HIPE alot.Bro is madd on the rhyme.Think an Afrikaans version of someone like Busta, and full of punchlines.Hit me with ur mail addy, will see what I can do.

Now Dp, I feel u and I concur.........time to just let sleeping dogs lie and get on with ur grind.U do ur thang and we all know u doing it well.So who cares bout what the mag thinks.Also, I dont agree with the way u peeps been put in the dark with Tru's project and all and the tracks submitted to the mag, but I think it could be the whole trackpack link.Its one of those things.U know whats the best revenge?Yep, just to live well.........and get that Scott Storch money cuz.That'll show em. 8)
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Errrr Gentlemen?!!! WTF?

1. The Ying Yang tracks e.t.c are acapellas for producers to lace their heat to. LOCAL producers.

2. Those who lace their heat on these tracks and TVT peeps feel it, may get a chance to lace some heat possibly for TVT artists.
E.g. Warren G feeling that isht you do with your Equing and hollers for you to drop somethin' for a 213 track to see what else you got. Snoop gets wind of you, so through Snoop being on Startrak as a solo artist, Pharrell checks for your isht coz he's like, "whacthu think of what I did with this? ", & so do many other artists wanting that same sound that Snoop has his new hit with that comes from this new dude Scratch magazine is talking about that's dropping some gems from S.A and was first featured in that country's biggest selling hip hop magazine.  

Chess moves people. Chess moves. International competion with a label that will really be checking for your isht. As The Watcher I was keen to see where this TVT thing was going and if anything, I see dem dudes were thinking out the box with this one. Put your guns away & call for what it is;
>smart move from HYPE....(for the growth of this damn thang)

thuli

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
f*** it! even talking about hype is a waste of time. the stupid mag is a killing our enviroment- way too much paper is used to produce that crap!  :roll:
uh?

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Quote from: "DJ_Nastie_Ed"
(Ps, Whats up with the joburg mentality. Whats up with the arrogance. Ppl seem to be more concerned with their image, rep n cash than progressing and building. Almost all business dealings i've had with peeps from joburg have been marked with disrespect and greed.  ---- competition and ripping each other off is unproductive for everyone, its bad for business and its bad for the growth of the industry. ......damn i love Cape Town)

This is only partily true. Suppose it would explain why Joburg is the centre of the SA economy. The cut throat nature/mentality of the peoples there :evil: ..
I lived there the whole of last year there are some people that are genuinely concerned about growth though..

As far as HYPE I aggree with everything EDMOND sed above. I supported them initially because they appeared to be concerned about establishing little known artists on a national scale. the first few installments of the CD seemed to suggest this. But as they became more important HYPE mag started to get lost in the poli-tricks of SA Hip Hop rather than the core business of putting a solid magazine together.
Now its like a bunch of columnists from Huis Genoot (sp) could put together a more credible publication.