Dpleezy · 40 · 9390

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Hmm.

Seems like HYPE is taking a lot of flak lately, much of it not unjustified. I do have to put some points out there, though, as someone who has written for them and has been privy to (some) goings-on.

1) HYPE is just over a year old. I think it takes a magazine a little more time than that to truly establish an identity. Yes, Fungz and company have made some slightly suspect decisions (along with, it must be said, some very good ones) but I think a little more experience and they'll be rocking.

2) They have (does a quick count) exactly five permanent staff members that I can discern, three of which do 90% of the writing in the mag. No matter which way you look at it, that's going to result in some stale journalism as writers struggle to pull an infinite amount of stories and articles in on deadline. Zama Nyuswa is unfortunately no longer working for them (pity, I really dug her style) so maybe there'll be some fresh blood

3) Lastly, Fungz did have a point when he wrote that people should contact the magazine and not just post a random forum thread (D excluded, I think he has gone the contacting route and has legitimate beef) They need to know what their readers think, and you cats aren't helping by talking shit on a website. CONTACT THEM!

This is in my capacity as a freelancer and my opinion has not been authorised or OKed by anyone on the mag. Hopefully they'll still let me work for them. If not, at least I got to big up Gtown hip-hop. Yeah!
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
1) a. I didnt realize local hip-hop as an identity is confusing. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Two parts: 1. Hiphop (i'm a**uming the editors have a remote idea)
2. Local (not so sure here..... but i might suggest that local includes places outside of johannesburg - now as to why Snoop Dogg, Warren G, n Nate Dogg r on the cover - i'm perplexed, didnt know they were local)

b. BMW wont produce a car that doesnt drive. So whats the point of bringin out a mag thats hardly readable and unreliable. Magazines are supposed to be informative. Its as if all the articles and facts in hype have been filtered through a game of broken telephone, and all participants were stoned as f***. Great, so we have a local hiphop magazine now...*blakah* Whats the point if all the information is wrong? (And no...i'm not just hating, there's plenty of evidence which i'm not going to refer to....flip through an issue and count the amount of misspellings, name mix-ups and etc.

I will stop my ranting here. It's fruitless. I've been bitchin way too much. Merely want to express my opinions and those of many others i have spoken to. We all have the best intentions, and we want to see Hip-hop succeed and grow locally....that includes hype magazine (i was damn happy when hype came out, loved the first cd and gave them the benefit of the doubt, expecting them to get their act together - grace period has by now, however expired).

The disses come from frustration. We, speaking for Blackmist (and a**uming that other's have been dealt with in a similar manner), have been trying to make contributions, Various individuals on this forum even offered to write quality articles to improve the standard of Hype, to get a more expansive picture of local hip-hop and to establish some journalistic integrity. Hype magazine, so far, however, has been everything but forth coming. Why? f*** do i know. If i see improvements in the next few issues i will take back everything i said and support as best as i can. (still waiting for syn's articles etc)

Refer to D's post (Rob-one your argument is invalid, how can you claim that Fungayi truly is looking for contribution and in the next sentence you refer to solid proof to the contrary).

'Let Us Help You Help Yourself'

Anyway, granted, its definately not easy to run a magazine with a permanent staff of 5. It is possible however. Excuses are only to be made once all possible avenues have been explored and success is nonetheless still elusive. But the resources are available. Why wont they tap into it? Hmmmmmm?

Respect for having brought Hype to the market. But, for now, thats about it. Very pretty pictures though....

PS:
Here I have a suggestion. Hype runs various articles on local artists. The reader has no way to access their music throguh. It's very frustrating? I remember reading an article on an 'apparently tight-a** beatboxer'. I have learnt not to trust local opinions and reviews too much (way too much agenda n politics involved) My question is...why cant i hear his shit? Why dont you put THAT on the cd? A la soundlips for relevant articles.

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Quote from: "DJ_Nastie_Ed"
Why dont you put THAT on the cd? A la soundlips for relevant articles.

I second that and feel its one heck of a brilliant suggestion.This would put the mag miles ahead from where it may be placed now and bring a freshness to it that seems to be lacking.U know, I'mma copy this suggestion and actually see if HYPE mag would vibe with this idea.I think it very fruitful.Though, we gota remember that Smirnoff is also a sponsor of the cd that gets issued with the mag.SO I think they may have a say as well....seeing as they would wanna use hip hop as a vehicle and cool a**ociation to sell their respective products.Make sense?

I'm thinking maybe a special blend of what some may term simple articles mixed in with intellectual thoughtprovoking ones would give a nice character to the mag and set it apart from the norm.I do agree that its still new on the market and that works in the mag's favour as they still have room to breathe and teeth to find their groove.I think a bit of gradual experimentation (as they still wouldnt wanna lose money in the process) would do wonders for them.Be more open to suggestions and feedback from readers.........not saying they dont take it into consideration, but just acknowledging input more and making the reader or supporters feel like they are contributing.If u send a mail and u get a reply with regard to ur mail, u automatically feel like they care.its all psychological.

Sometimes things need to be brought back to their most basic to truly discover where they need to go.Also, as some may suggest that moaning in this thread isnt going to solve anything, and I agree.This thread is more a form of opinion and grievance voicing.Now what should be done is take these quarms (sp) and compile it in a format thats easily readable and sent to the respective mag by each and everyone that feels this way.Power in numbers.U may think "whats this gonna help" but at least ur trying.

@Dp, I totally understand if u wouldnt wanna do the above.Btw, I think clarity should be given to u with regards to why the cold shoulder.Its only professional to do this.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
guys public enemy said dont believe the hype
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Quote from: "DJ_Nastie_Ed"
1) Here I have a suggestion. Hype runs various articles on local artists. The reader has no way to access their music throguh. It's very frustrating? I remember reading an article on an 'apparently tight-a** beatboxer'. I have learnt not to trust local opinions and reviews too much (way too much agenda n politics involved) My question is...why cant i hear his shit? Why dont you put THAT on the cd? A la soundlips for relevant articles.

i recall reading about this beat boxer as well. To be fair to Hype, they did have a track on their CD feauturing him. i think they were reffering to ChildofSilence also known as Raheem - ill emcee & beat boxer from durban. many people who have listended to that track & his other tracks agree that he is "a tight a** beat boxer'. I also dont think he is affilitated to Hype mag people @ all.

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
IS IT REALLY THAT BAD?

I don't read much! especially hip hop related material, i go thru pages loking at bitches. but i WILL buy and READ and review it I don't belive its possible for people to shelf something which is THAT awful!
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

Foretold

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Hello boyz and girls!
Well, well, well. Dplanet is complainin abt Fungayi, who would have thought. U thought that by dick ridin him durin ma beef wit him, he would actually give u preferential treatment. Shame. And I'm glad that all of u half wits have eventually realised that Hype is a pop magazine.
But do not despair urs trully is hard at work to get Fungayi back on the unemployment line. I'll be merciful though, I'll talk to Daily Sun or Drum and see if they can't give him a column that will deal wit spirits.
U cats really need to stop being star struck, it really is GAY!

Lookin foward to ur wonderful responses

KONFAB

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Foretold"
Hello boyz and girls!
Dplanet is complainin abt Fungayi, who would have thought. U thought that by dick ridin him durin ma beef wit him, he would actually give u preferential treatment. Shame.

NOW THAT SORT OF REGISTER WILL EARN YOU A BEATDOWN REAL QUICK YOUNG MAN :evil:
ttp://www.myspace.com/artikulatekonfab
http://www.myspace.com/writersblockcrew

the antePENultimate columnist with WRITERS BLOCK

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Quote from: "Foretold"

Lookin foward to ur wonderful responses

Dumb a** Mtshwelo@gmail.com returns to corrupt an otherwise constructive thread. I advocate that we all just ignore everything this kid says. Sooner or later he will go away. :evil:
& just so you know we WILL meet one day soon & you WILL get whats coming to you mfana.

As for HYPE little to add here that has not been added except that anyone that says that HYPE genuinely cares about SA hip hop dvlpmt obviously hasnt dealt with them directly.

P.S WHo won them HIPHOCALYPSE Remix-tape giveaways? You would have thought they would have put one of those tracks on the CD of the issue they were giving it away in? Off course NOT thats just too logical!

Supafly

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://
There's so much to say, but I would like to leave you with this:

Dave Samuels is to HYPE what Ray Benzino is to The Source.

Supa!

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Quote from: "Supafly"

Supa!

Who is Dave Samuels? Did he plaster himself & a lack lustre bunch of no-bodies all over the HYPE Mag pages like Ray Benzino?
Is he the vermon  that is corrupting HYPE?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Come on t8,,, I enjoy reading foretold's childlike megalomaniac rantings. It's kind of like reading the Sun,,, you know it's stupid and wrong, but you can't help being entertained.

Anyway, I'm only complaining about Hype for their unprofessionalism and to expose Fungayi's hypocracy (when he says we should stop being bitter and get our hustle on). I've always known the mag is candy, but as a media channel it is potentially uselful for exposing the projects we are all working on. However, none of us are naive enough to believe that getting exposure in Hype mag is what is going to make or break our projects.

Quality publications and their journalists seek to establish relationships with potential content providers and maintain those relationships (btw. Zama was very cool and seemed to understand this concept). Even if for editorial reasons they decided not to use material, simple communication and honestly always goes a long way. Being pro-active is even better - 'we would have used your article if...', 'if you could get us photos of your group at live show we would...' etc etc. We're all intelligent adults trying to do business. These are very simple principles to understand.

I am still waiting to hear back from Simone Harris (simone@hypemagazine.co.za) as to why they dropped Royal Remix from the compilation. There may be an excellent reason that would make me feel like they weren't just wasting my time. Simply ignoring me is unprofessional.

foretold, just so you get a chance to bring your undoubted wit and intelligence to bear, when exactly did i 'dick ride' fungayi? I seem to recall having a civilised discussion where our views differed.

Supafly

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://
Quote from: "Sensai_Tate"
Quote from: "Supafly"

Supa!

Who is Dave Samuels? Did he plaster himself & a lack lustre bunch of no-bodies all over the HYPE Mag pages like Ray Benzino?
Is he the vermon  that is corrupting HYPE?

Dave Samuels is the son of the owner of the publishing company, Intelligence, which puts out HYPE magazine.

If you read the credits, you'll also notice that in various editions, Dave Samuels has contributed a significant portion of the editorial content of the magazine. In this last edition, for instance, he wrote 50% of the reviews - quite poorly I might add.

While I wouldn't suggest that DS's behaviour could ever plummet to the depths achieved by Benzino, I do think he has his backpack strapped on too tightly. At best in his writing, he displays a fairly blinkered view of hip-hop, at worst, he reveals that he actually doesn't really understand the music and/or its history. Furthermore, he seems to be the one responsible for inserting unnecessarily extensive features on Necro and his affiliated artists (those Non-Phixion dudes) and, in the last edition, Jedi Mind Tricks.

If I wanted fan writing, I'd visit the Non-Phixion and Jedi Mind Tricks message boards.

Supa

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
hmm,,, that's interesting supa,,, always good to know about these special connections :)

Tek

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
I noticed you forgot the exclamation mark on Supa!  :wink: