Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Al-Jazeera goes global in english

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
global dynamics are about to change. Still trying to locate the brilliant Sunday Independent article...

...for now, here's the basics, Al Jazeera starting in english early next year:

http://www.gnn.tv/headlines/2414/Is_Al_Jazeera_ready_for_prime_time

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
i guess there truly is a market for everything.
 but won't they be shooting themselves in the foot by broadcasting in english? for starters, the (false)translators will be out of work...

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
i dont get why you think it's a bad move.

A large part of the world is sick n tired of the CNN, BBC Fox News rhetoric. Western Media is too one sided. Al Jazeera provides a counter- balance perspective. The focus of AlJazeerawill be on indepth journalism of ppl that are in the know (about local culture's) and are able to get to the heart of issues rather than mere superficial 'in, get the soapie story n get the f*** outta here' journalism of CNN reporters etc. Also, footage that other news channels are loathe to show for political reasons (being bullied by the white house) will be available at Al JAzeera. Which obviously precipitates that alot of ppl will switch to al jazeera for the juiciness. Then the rest of the news networks in order to compete will have to do the same. 'Objectivity' will likely become much more multifaceted.

Also, a greater focus will be on africa...and representing Africa from an african perspective...including africa's (currently absent in mainstream media) good news, which is good for our image, tourism and foreign investment. Al Jazeera offices are opening in Kenya, Nigeria, and Johannesburg.

Al Jazeera english will be able to pull a huge market. They are targeting 18-35 year olds who are sick of the old rhetoric and want to hear another side. Already they have recruited some big names in journalism like CNN's Kahn n some dude from BBC world (forgot name) running the main talkshow forum.

Al Jazeera is currrently one of the world's top 6 global brands, alongside Apple, yadda yadda etc.

(Sorry forgot the exact details of the article)

Damn f***ing great news.. This shit is major and will have a huge effect on global power balances, which IMHO is f'n gr8.

And what do you mean by (false) translators?

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Quote from: "DJ_Nastie_Ed"
Al Jazeera offices are opening in Kenya, Nigeria, and Johannesburg.

wow, i wasn't aware of this.

And what do you mean by (false) translators?

call me brainwashed, but dunno sometimes it feel slike they don't translate fully, a person will blabber on for like a minute and a half and the translator says three sentences in english and U left asking is that it?
 But of course they prolly try to translate as directly as possible and are close enough coz the whole world is listening and there are other people who understand both arabic and english etc. anyways yea, interesting development it is. How's the african offices gonna work? so its like watch out wetsern media.
BBC and Sky hav some reputable jouralists and shows tho compared to Cnn.Inside africa on Cnn is laughable coz its neverabout whats really going down, they cover things that they prolly think will appeal to western audiences.

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
funny u'd mention al- jazeera cos one of their journalists (the guy who interviewed bin laden) has just been sentenced to seven years in a spanish court for conspiring with terrorists....

props to al- jazeera for giving us a different perspective on the world & breaking the hegemony cnn, fox, bbc & sky enjoy!
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

mulmens

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Woodn't be surprised if Nastie was working for 'em by the way he speaks of 'em.
eace means Love

Nappy Head
http://www.getitfree.net/xcgegnns

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Hey I wouldn't spit in their faces if they offered me one.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Yeah, this is really great.Cant wait to peep it. :wink:
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
that alleged terrorist sympathiser's name is Taysir Alouni
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato