Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Importance of listening to Ol Skool

TATEguru

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hiphocalypse.co.nr
A lot of youth dem no understand de importance of digging in the crates..

I mean how a 19 year old orn in 1986 gon appreciate the reference when 2Pac says
"I came thru the door, sed it before.." without hearing the original bars as spit by the lyrics GOD Rakim.
There is a reason why rappers reference old skoo poineers in their popular songs out currently. Some would call it bitting but often it is paying homage to the pioneers.

How can we understand where this Hip Hop is at now kif we don't know where it came from?

How are we to appreciate where it is headed if we don't know where it came from?

I used to do host a radio show & often young'ns would rock up to the studio on some "awwww dats wheck mhen why you dedicate a whole hour to dis old skool stuff its out of style!"
Eish I'm like WHAT THE f***?! How can it be out of style if cats is still referencing it to this day!?! In fact a lot of the present styles are derived from "Ol Skool"..

RESPECT THE OLD SKOOL LAATIES! :x

With that sed props to the DJ on 5fm the Essence this evening for spinning the early 90's stuff. Need more of that on commercial radio.
Props also to Kamza for having them sample recognition give aways..just needs to say who the original artists are..but anyway respect the architect! :!:
r Hyde to your Dr Jekyl

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Agreed, you don't know where you going till you know where you came from....
ALSO I feel it to be ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that any true lover and appreciater of hip hop also listen to other music, outside of what they consider hip hop. Only listening to one type of music is the quickest and easiest way to completely stagnate creatively. It breeds jaundiced views of the art of hip hop itself, because peeps who ONLY listen to hip hop, also generally only listen to one kind of hip hop, which they generally consider to be the only "true/real" hip hop. And so they actually become toxic to the growth of the art.
Listen to music kids...its good for you.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jahfish.com
thanx a lot!  see u even refer to the oldskool talkin bout rakim ....  i experienced hiphop the first time in 1984/85 .... the good old days of beat street and wild style, of I.U.O and white lines .... got out of that a little while then got into deejayng end of the eighties ...

people should also check out a few films ....

www.freestylethefilm.com       --->  freestyle, the art of rhyme
http://www.scratchworldwidemedia.com/     ----> scratch
www.keepintime.com     ---> docu with jazz drummers and babu, cut chemist, jrocc ...

if u can afford, then order from the producers ... the films are really good.

if u are one of those young cats, tell your teacher to contact the producers and get a free copy for the school! most of them will do it ...

props to kamza for the show and f*** u to the haters (who might follow)!
while it wasn't human to listen before the start of his show, his show had of course some commercial stuff which u are supposed to play on such a radio station, but he played more good solid hiphop than u get to hear on the radio over here ... radios here are just filled with commercial stuff ... same playlist as MTV ... actually more pop than any hiphop ...
i didnt hear any holla back girl in his show and similar crap ... i was a bit bored the first hour, but then the show was allright! also heard the show last week was a lot doper ...
whatever ... good mixture! props!

to anyone in contact with radio stations ... i will bring a crate full of 90ies goodies to capetown to play you all the cla**ics u missed for a long time ...  i'll also have three video tapes with me with 12 hours of Yo MTV Raps clips!
yes, thats those good old videos with more than just bling bling!
visuals making sence ... krs rockin a crowd live! nas climbing the stairs of his hood in "the world is yours" ....
spread the word!
i'd love to spread the good positive oldskool vibe in CPT and anywhere else ...

one to TATEguru!

one to the oldskool!
ack in berlin >>>

the deejay is the screendesigner is the artist is the graphic a**istance is the audiovisual freedom fighter is the fish

www.jahfish.com

TATEguru

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Peace KINGS! Big Ups for that drop nice to hear that the rules of the game are the same from Berlin to Cape Town to North Cack-a-lacka.

Too many peeps get caught up in the idea of "Keeping it Real" to broaden they horizons which as Syn rightfully stated is a necessary factor of growth.

Can't wait to meet up with Jah & build this damn thang!...
By the way have you heard of Metaphysics out there in Germany? He nice with his & a definite good look!
r Hyde to your Dr Jekyl

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-0
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
Yeah, like premo said. While these catz be fakin the funk.
we'll be wit them torches in tha night, or sumn like that.

"Just because you made a hit record in 1 year don't make you a star, lets get shits clear" - Green Eyed Bandit ( Eric Sermon)

Like the earth iz very old, so iz hip hop. Pay homage
and
Listen to music kids...its good for you.

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
and also make sure to read the Book Of Raps from the Egotrip editors .... this is THE hiphop bible; with so many quotes from the past and so many references to old songs. it is a very good, very informative book with many surprises in it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0312242980/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-8478874-4807915#reader-page
ack in berlin >>>

the deejay is the screendesigner is the artist is the graphic a**istance is the audiovisual freedom fighter is the fish

www.jahfish.com

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "TATEguru"

By the way have you heard of Metaphysics out there in Germany? He nice with his & a definite good look!

heard of it? when i say "support hiphop" then i mean it!
 of course i bought an EP where he's on:

Pushen Bros feat Metaphisics "on the Run EP"
can't get enough / save i

;)

tack 2 btw has been recorded at "madlib soundkitchen"!!! i wonder if that is the real madlib.
that was 1999 in the lootpack days, and i remember madlib was in germany touring with peanut butter wolf and phife dog (got a shoutout for my mixtape back then), so they might recorded this together ....

Quote from: "TATEguru"

Can't wait to meet up with Jah

wanna fly up to jah? no man! stay on the planet and meet FISH in december  ;)
"jah" in my deejay name is rather to be seen ironically ... and i usually dont use this as a name ... there's been enough black man going  8O  when they were introduced to me ... "john, this is jah!"   8O    :P
i used to spin reggae too, so i got that name from a black rasta which just came back to berlin and met me in a place called "fischlabor" (fish - laboratory).
ack in berlin >>>

www.jahfish.com

TATEguru

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Man AG is truely global! I'm loving it. 8)

As for the topic I dont think kids understand the relevance of points of reference in this modern day hip hop.
Cats need to be able to appreciate ol skool & not just hip hop either...

WHen you hear Tribe Called Quest's Check the Rhyme it'll sound that much richer when you hear Minnie Ripperton's original in hearing that you'll be able to connect to Black Star's K.O.S..ya feel me?..

RESPECKT THE ARCHITECT!
r Hyde to your Dr Jekyl

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
how long does one have to be rhyming for for it to be considered old school? 'cos in my archives- the cla**ics of the early to mid 90s are old schl...
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
basicaly what came out before the ninetees era ... this one was called the New School ...

but you're right ... the new school now is the old school when u ask the kids  ;)
ack in berlin >>>

www.jahfish.com