Africasgateway.com

In business, Persistence is Polite.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I got sent this by CDbaby.com,,, thought it was a useful for anyone trying to hustle their music projects:

In business, persistence is polite.

Understand that people get busy, and aren't able to reply to every
phone call or email.

The worst, most inconsiderate thing you could do, is to call or email
them once, never hear back, then give up, and think they're a jerk
for the rest of your life.

The most considerate and polite thing you could do is to call or
email once a week until you get a response.

I know this goes against the rules of romance we learned as
teenagers.  If a girl doesn't call you back, take a hint, she's just
not into you, right?

But in business, it's the opposite.  People are busy.  Don't take it
personal.  Be considerate.  Persistence is polite.  Also it proves
how much you care.

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
For real, case in point I got this e-mail from these cats doin sum tracks they wanted to get exposed on my show and i'm always lookin for material to expose that hot local isht, so i'm naturally yo get it to me asap and we'll talk about what can happen........... nothing for THREE months, then I get a envelope that has an unmarked disc in it and somer pretty much illegible writing on it, now i hadn't connected dots yet....Thing is i gotta prepare a 4 hour radio show for a coupla thousand people eevry day so for unclear and seemigly unsolicited discs i put in the "get to when i done everything else" pile, eventually like 3 weeks or a month later i re-find this disc and give it a listen, the stuff aint bad but theres no contact details and the tracks really arent good enuff to warrant me chasing these cats down, so i place it aside and hang on to the disc, BUT I DIDNT throw it away.
A further month later i get this vitriolic e-mail where some cats swearing at me for disrespecting him and how I dont know shit about good music and I aint shit and they gon get up to the top and shit on me and end my carreer in the media and i best watch my back in the streets and shit... so I'm like polite as possible "WTF??? :? " and then a coupla days later this guys sends me a further insulting e-mail.
now i felt bad that i'd hurt someones feelings so badly so i trawl my unknown, insolicited pile and eventually connect the dots and find the disc..... and then i threw it away.
That was Feb last year and my back seems to be watching itself just fine, thing is I aint got shit against these guys and I tried to apologise and even help them out but they f***ed it up for themselves, f***ed if I'm eevr help them now.
Its their potential carreer and you'd figure they'd put in some work, but peeps like Konfab and Dplanet and Arche, middle Finga, The Ancient Men, Trusenz, Darkblood and anybody else who hollas at me and makes themselves known (BTW Yo Deepea I aint got my copy of Perigos Minas yet dun) them I'm only too happy to help, cos they stay visible and drop me a line every now and then.
And I'm one of the NICE guys in this bitch.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Thought you'd appreciate this post syn ;)

Yeah,,, for real. I can personally vouch that Syn is one of the few people that will actually go out of their way to break new material, and won't make you feel like he's doing you a favour. There aren't many people on commercial radio who make themselves as accessible as he does.

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jahfish.com
yeah, defenitely one of the nicest and most friendly people i've met in cape town .... always a pleasure to talk to you! ;)
ack in berlin >>>

the deejay is the screendesigner is the artist is the graphic a**istance is the audiovisual freedom fighter is the fish

www.jahfish.com

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Hey fish, sorry we havent had any serious talk time, last time was a lil in and out.
You back in SA yet, lets have another of those meet at wherever the party is and Dp can join us I'm sure and Naturelle maybe and any other AG fam who happens to be in the CPT area...... hey it beats having to have friends in the real world.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jahfish.com
back to topic ...

yeah, i guess persistance is worth gold in south africa, where something doesnt happen within a day (a week? haha) ... things can be pretty slow down there .... i sent out a whole bunch of mails a while ago to recieve only two answers ... so i guess i'll be just takin those two off my mailing list and try again in a few days!  :P

it's just important nowadays to get some of your music/art/info online so people can access and download information quickly. nothing beats presenting something personal or showing up as well .... or having something prepared for the person u want to work with ...
ack in berlin >>>

the deejay is the screendesigner is the artist is the graphic a**istance is the audiovisual freedom fighter is the fish

www.jahfish.com