YFM on blast whats the deall?

RuSh · 10 · 3532

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
Got this e-mail today i guess its being sent out as a chain whats the deal?

March 1, 2006

By Therese Owen

Crisis management seems to be needed at YFM as their three prime- time deejays have announced their resignations within the last month. Fresh's well-documented move to 5fm was announced a mere two weeks ago while S'bu Leope announced his resignation over the weekend. He has plans to start a production company.

The seeming implosion of YFM may be contributed to self-interest and own agendas by the deejays. The popular YFM deejays have bigger interests in the music industry. One only has to look at DJ Fresh, who regularly releases his popular dance CDs, or S'bu Leope, who is kwaito star, Mzekezeke, to see how much mula there is to gain as a deejay on this station. S'bu also owns his own record company, TS Records. Their artists conveniently fit into YFM's format.

For the last 16 months there's been increasing dissatisfaction among music industry players outside of the YFM cabal. There is much concern over deejays' alleged abuse of power.

The deejays on YFM all came from relative obscurity. However, their increasingly powerful positions laid the door wide open for them to abuse that power. The rot set in with the now deceased Iggy Smallz, who was the music compiler.

Not only was Iggy a producer, he was also an artist, and owned publishing and record companies. Long-time Sunday evening deejay, Oskido, is part of BOP, owns Kalawa Jazmee and is one of the biggest producers in SA. He therefore has links to Mafikizolo, Trompies, Spikiri, Alaska, Bongo Maffin and T'zozo and Professor.

Music compiler Nutty Nice produces M'du, among others, and has released his own compilation. Unathi has just released her own CD. Her sidekick, Rudeboy Paul, also released CD compilations and has his own record label. Current station manager Bondo Ntuli has released a CD under his deejay persona, Big Black. S'bu Leope, who recently announced he is leaving the powerful afternoon drive-time, has Brown Dash, Ntando and Izinyoka as well as himself, Mzekezeke, in his TS Records stable. YFM's ex-station manager, Greg Maloka also released his own compilations while there.

It begs the question, where does the rest of the SA music industry stand if they are not connected to the YFM cabal?

At Metro FM it is appears things are not so bad. Only Glen Lewis regularly releases as does music compiler DJ Fistaz.

With the departure of Fresh and S'bu Leope, one can only hope that YFM hires people who will not pick up on their supposed self-interest agendas, or at least do something to manage the problem.

If this free-for-all continues on YFM, it is doubtful the station will survive another nine
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
good read rush,i never looked at the yfm situation like that.fresh is going to be a major loss to them tho.
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
wow. Fresh left? shows how much I have been tuning to Y. What happened to Unathi? She used to be so lady-like:?

Self-promotion, to an extent all radio stations and their personalities do the same. Its only a problem when you block other people's material and IMO the industry is still very open. Loads of opportunities still.

ok. No more Mzekezeke? thank god.
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

RuSh

• AG Veteran
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
i think thats a general problem in south africa its so small and the same group of people runnin shit and not giving much of a chance to talented artist even within the politics of this country the same.either u in or u out thats it
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
Signed to Rawkus

crus-ou

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "RuSh"
i think thats a general problem in south africa its so small and the same group of people runnin shit and not giving much of a chance to talented artist even within the politics of this country the same.either u in or u out thats it

Ditto...And I dont know why people dont see that its this kind of industry incest  that's crippling the development of SA in general. Mang WTF
k IS mos deurmekaar.....

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Been a long time coming, unfortunately. Sigh.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Beaker

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mg.co.za
Quote from: "rob_one"
Been a long time coming, unfortunately. Sigh.

Heard Pabi might take Fresh's slot...THAT confirmed it!

Just Dee

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/landmynz
everyone has self interests everywhere in the world, be it entertainment, business, sport, politricks, etc., etc. the same goes for that email. It mentions Sbu & Fresh coz they have other business interest in the music industry, who is the other person, coz they said three? It's BadBoy T, and he has no business interest (well directly anyway) in the music industry and he's leaving too.

Sbu had his businesses long before he bacame a YFM DJ, the same goes for Oskido. T'boz from Metro has a series of compilations, Eddie Zondi does too & a lot more but the email was for discrediting YFM, that's self serving interest if you ask me. (but noone asked me...)

I don't see anything wrong in what they do, as long as banga sivaleli ngaphandle and as far as I know they don't.

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
oh c'mon, just because these guys have received better offers doesn't make them greedy. fresh, for one, has been receiving offers from 5fm for the past couple of years and he thought of the station, Yfm, rather. he turned themdown so many times when it was easier to have packed his shit and left. all these people have been there since the beginning of the radio station - if anything, they should be applauded for what they have achieved. the format of Yfm when it started was to have people who are not only in the industry, but understood the industry and were knowledgeable when it came to music. that's why you find that most of the prominent djs on Y were more credible to the audiences than those from Metro fm. with the change of management there was bound to be difficulties. many were not pleased with the departure of greg - hell, even the station manager before that also told fresh to take the best offers and this was almost two and a half years ago. personally i have no issues with them leaving this particular podium to expand their horizons. fresh is going to the most representive radio station in the country, badboy t is trying to revive the ultra burgoisie black station (he's gonna provide so much change to their line up). personally i would fire both penny and that tbose fella because they are so fake. i was thinking just how good a combination roger goode and fresh would be on one roster - more than it is a business move it's a growth thing for all those who are leaving and if you make a little something on the side while growing - i say f*** what everyone says and get yours. this is an opportunity for new talent to make its name on Yfm - there are vacancies from the looks of things.
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

RuSh

• AG Veteran
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
now why does it have to be a Metro and Yfm thing? there is too little of everything thats why alot of areas in south africa dont see growth and others see everything.
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
Signed to Rawkus