Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Not sure what to make of it. BVK and Black Noise are the only Hip Hop artists who know how to promote themselves. Although I am not a fan of Godessa, they probably should have been an addition to the voting (at least for Cape Town).

Good to see Lungelo is on the list.

Interesting (and sad) to read the journalist (Therese Owen) saying "Cape Town Hip Hop is nowhere." Hard to argue with that despite the fact there is so much talent down here.

It's crazy that Pro Kid isn't on the line up. That's just obviously music politics though.

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jahfish.com
mmmmh ... vote by sms? f*** takin the kids even more money out their pockets! there is probably kids voting that can't even afford the tickets!

how far are the phone providers involved in that promotional move? could be they "forced" the promoters to do that ... after all that is sms-money coming back in ...
ack in berlin >>>

the deejay is the screendesigner is the artist is the graphic a**istance is the audiovisual freedom fighter is the fish

www.jahfish.com

SolitaryNative

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-4
  • Feature now Defunct
    • View Profile
f*** Therese Owen. Cape Town is where the art is best developed.  What she means is that Cape Town doesn't sell CDs in Reliable as much as Jozi or NW artists do.  People confuse shit so much it's f***in hard to not get mad.

Hip hop will never be defined by he who sells the most records. Its like heads themselves don't know what they want. Being successful is fine.  Marketing yourself well is clever.  Being a commercial a** bitch is not what sets you apart from the competition.  It's what makes you start competing with pop artisits instead of building Hip Hop as a vehicle for knowledge, change, enlightenment and (like it or not) recreation.

f*** a chat on what is Hip Hop is, but f*** Therese Owen's opinion even more.  Like so many, she probably has no idea as to how long Hip Hop has been growing in SA.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i wrote a nice polite email to ms. owen inviting her to discover some of our CPT talent,,, wonder if she'll reply?....

i actually don't have anything against her saying that CPT Hip Hop is nowhere,,, it is true that we haven't marketed ourselves very well. But as bornenbled said, record sales have nothing to do with talent.

it would be nice if journalists actually did some investigation outside of their neighbourhoods.

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop
from an outsider view...u wud say cape hip hop is nowhere, most cats that are makin visible noise arent from the cape...

yes we all know cape has the sweetness but not EVERYONE OUT HURR knows...

but with tha line up, i doubt if i had the chance that i wud pay my beer money for that concert...plus am not a snoop or pharrel/pharell (if thats how u spell his name)...

oh...lets make things easier...

Ma**ive slip-up with local line-up

By Therese Owen

Since we were allowed to host international concerts all those years back, I have often wondered how the South African support acts are chosen. Sometimes it appears that the organisers of the concerts have no concept of what is going on in South African music.

The Coca- Cola Colab Ma**ive Mix and the up-and-coming Premier Foods Peoples Celebration Concerts featuring Snoop Dogg and Pharrell Williams are two cases in point. What are these organisers thinking?

Let's start with the Ma**ive Mix. While the Coca-Cola Colab Live concerts have awesome lineups, there is something of a slip-up on the Ma**ive Mix.

Either that or our kwaito and hip-hop artists make better music than our rock musicians.

When I heard that Metallica was added to the lineup I dropped to my knees and prayed to the gods that Metallica would stay in their hotel rooms until they had to go on stage so as not witness the awful local line-up! How embarra**ing.

Where is Pestroy? Where is The Narrow? Where is Fuzigish? They may not sell as big as the insanely boring Prime Circle, but at gra**roots level in the rock arena these are the bands who have credibility. At least Arno Carstens, Fokofpolisiekar and Karen Zoid can save face.

Who is Seven Stone? Who is Sitter? Dunno? Well, neither do I. And I thought The Spoonfeedas had broken up!

But the hip-hop concert is more bizarre. Premier Foods, Metro FM, 5FM, Good Hope FM, SABC1 and Big Concerts have decided that we, the public must vote by SMS for who we want to perform at the concerts.

They have announced a lineup of seventeen artists and again, the list is dodgy. Prokid is the most talked-about rapper since Amu (who thankfully is on the list), yet his name is not on the list. When I asked Big Concerts why he was not on the list, they said his record company, Gallo, said he was unavailable.

However, Prokid indicated to me that he was available for the concerts.

The list also names hip-hop dinosaurs Black Noise. These guys are hip-hop purists and anti-gangsta rap. What relevance do they have to the event? Perhaps they will do the Cape Town leg because they are not really known in the rest of the country.

Bra**e Vannie Kaap - huh? Granted, they put on excellent visual shows and they would have been an obvious addition five years ago. But now?

In the greater scheme who is Lungelo, who is Carla Diamond? Why Redds? Note to organisers - Capetonian hip-hop is really nowhere at the moment. However, on a positive note HHP, Skwatta Kamp, Zola and Unathi are good choices.

But the voting idea, while it could work as a marketing tool, is open to abuse by artists with lotsa moola. And besides which, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know who the big South African live acts are.

Oh wait, that's right, these people probably go home to their DStvs every night. When will corporate South Africa catch up to South African music?

Published on the web by Tonight on March 15, 2006. © Tonight 2006. All rights reserved.

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
dont knw if the eastern Cape qualifies ha ha
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Did PROkid (or more likely his management) piss someone off in the industry to the point of seclusion from such a major event?

Also, arent the SA hip hop populace & the general populace not getting tired of seeing SK supporting EVERY major hip hop concert that comes out South?

With that said who do peeps think SHOULD be on the bill & give some justification?

RuSh

• AG Veteran
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
yeah im tired of seing the same artist on the bill doesnt allow for growth on our scene its dictatorship
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
Signed to Rawkus

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
hahaha,,, what could syd money ever possibly do to piss anyone off? ;)

funGAYi, what?!

but seriously,,, i'm sure the pro kid thing is strictly label politics.

as far as i know skwatta, HHP and Pro Kid sell the most records,,, so it's hardly suprising they get the call-ups. besides,,, it's more likely to be about who their management is hooked up with.

RuSh

• AG Veteran
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
yeah thats how south africa works man who u linked with
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
Signed to Rawkus

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

RuSh

• AG Veteran
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
yeah yeah thats why the world been run by the same fam clans for hundreds of years they cling onto the wealth
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
Signed to Rawkus