Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

pointers on hosting gig

dyna!mic

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
small towns are easily ignored and the emcees there must work extra hard to get the focus on them unlike the emcees in j-sec and such other priviledged places. so as  an emcee in umtata i'm trying to a host a mini gig for the few heads around.and also for the growth of heads and followers.so are there any pointers or precautions a beginner like me(not on the mic though) should be noted of. and any input is welcome.
Y PRESENCE KEEPS POLICE TELEPHONE LINES PREOCCUPIED>>I'M AN UNSEEN FORCE LIKE A SHOVE FROM BEHIND

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
well hello there.

thats my home town. all born and bred there. THERES A SCENE THERE. WOW. how thats. dayyyyme. never thought. where does stuff take place and shyt.

* she starts to like walk down memory lane. taking the journey in her mind *
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
be organised. be professional.

1. get the best sound system you can - nothing kills a show more than a bad sound.

2. publicise the event well in advance (use flyers, posters, sms database, word of mouth). don't leave it until the last minute. make sure all the prime spots are covered (outside clubs, record shops, clothing outlets,,, anywhere heads hang out). give the DJs and MCs at least 50 flyers each (well in advance) - they will be keen to advertise their own show. if you don't do this, don't be suprised when no one turns up.

3. keep a tight schedule. don't make people wait around until 1am to see the main act if you publicised they would be on at 11pm. keep things moving,,, get someone to host the night who can keep the crowd entertained if there are hold-ups or technical hitches (which there always are). see also point 7.

4. try to make sure the beers aren't too expensive - heads are usually on limited budgets so they aren't gonna want to pay R14 for a small bottle.

5. organising a good show takes a lot of time, don't do it on your own.

6. inform the media - tell your local radio station/ newspaper/ events listing magazine well in time for them to publish the details.

7. try to organise some free stuff to give out during the event - even CD-Rs of the artists who are performing - everyone likes a freebie and it's good promotion for the artist.

8. try to get sponsorship. easier said than done, but if you give companies proposals well in advance you'll be suprised how much money sponsors are willing to throw around. approach companies who you know are trying to market to the 'urban' youth market. sponsorship can either be used to subsidise the entrance fee, pay for a good sound system, or for free drinks or giveaways.

9. make sure the venue isn't too big. rather have 100 people packed into a tiny space with a queue outside than 100 people in huge empty hall. sound systems also sound better in compact spaces.

10. count the people going in so you know the money is straight at the end of the night. even good friend can fall out over this.

11. don't charge too much on the door. heads ain't gonna pay R50 unless there is a free bar :)

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
i 2nd DP
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

dyna!mic

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
word up to your advice dp.i'll  do what you said word by word. and try to add extra effort where i can. you see the last gig had optical ill,spaceman and some other emcees and i'm sure they would agree that 60 guys and 5 chicks+ mics and decks is not enough to give  satisfication to any perfomer. so this has to be the ultimate gig.and bhlakhroze dont expect much but when you are around town on a friday cum thru to the town hall anyone will point to the mrapper section where syfers are usually held.i'm not in town now so i'm they probably not that tite.but hey little u.m.t has some heavy potential. take cash money for instance the cat from pyramid but his just the commercial version of umtata emcees.
Y PRESENCE KEEPS POLICE TELEPHONE LINES PREOCCUPIED>>I'M AN UNSEEN FORCE LIKE A SHOVE FROM BEHIND

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
I saw a dope show last night, Aceyalone and some cats from the fellowship. damn!
Yep, Dp's list is sound advice(excuse the pun). Make sure the sound is proper and invite as many ladies as you can.

beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
oh yeah,,, i forgot the bit about inviting ladies,,, even let them in for free before 11pm or something. always a winner ;)