Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

hiphop hangouts

The Ebony Cat

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
my understanding of Jozi hiphop is that it´s on some DJ Clue/Funkmaster Flex shit...

there is no such thing as a PURE hiphop gig in Jozi.. just R&B gigs that will feature Bionic.. Blaize.. C-Live etc... (i heard DJs get paid though)

so my answer would be that Jozi has NO hiphop hangouts... (except Carlton Centre of course)
The Ebony Cat
Capitalist Nigga No. 1
South Africa

Anonymous

FUNKMASTER FLEX/CLUE

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.  

THERE IS NO REAL UNDERGROUND HIP HOP CLUB IN JOZI, THERE´S WHAT I CALL THE ´COFFEE CLUB´ PSEUDO HIP HOP HEADS THAT THINK THEY HIP HOP BECAUSE THEY GOT INVOLVED WHEN SNOOP AND DRE CAME OUT IN THE 90´S.  THESE CATS FORGET ABOUT THE REAL HEADS WHO WERE LISTENING TO HIP HOP IN THE EARLY 80´S AND IT WAS THOSE SAME PEOPLE THAT LAUGHED AT US BACK THEN, AND THEY WERE LISTENING TO HOUSE AND ALL THAT CRAP.   THEY THINK THAT JUST BECAUSE THEY BLACK AND LISTEN TO COMMON OR TALIB THAT THEY REAL.  NEGRO PLEASE.  
ASK THEM WHO KOOL HERC IS, OR ASK THEM ABOUT THE MELLE MEL OR CRAZY LEGS, OR THE HUNDREDS OF OTHER OLD SKOOL ARTISTS, AND THEY ARE LOOKING AT YOU WITH A BLANK FACE.

THE PROBLEM IN SOUTH AFRICA IS, NOBODY KNOWS OR RESPECTS THE HIP HOP VETERANS OF THIS COUNTRY.  THEY ONLY THINK OF BLACK NOISE AND POC.  WELL, THESE PEOPLE DIDN´T COME ALONE, THRE WERE HUNDREDS OF OTHERS IN THE WESTERN CAPE WHO BUILT HIP HOP IN THIS COUNTRY.  AND NO THEY WERE NOT BLACK, BUT COLOURED FOLKS.

THATS ON THE REAL YA HEARD.  JOZI NEEDS TO SHOW SOME RESPECT.

swt-kid

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
Jozi needs to be shown more respect
oweto kid

swt-kid

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Of course there were and are activists in Kaapstad, Gugulethu, Quntu, Middleofneerens, etc. (even in Woodstock). Saying that the Cape never had a movement is like saying MilkDaddy never ate gatbys (whatever the hell that is).

Its just some stupid cats who want to start some EAstCoast/WestCoast - in this case Jhb/Kaap.f*** it, "Jozi vs Cape town", doesn´t even sound epic. "you living in fantasies".

There is no pure Hiphop spots, because there is no such thing as pure Hiphop. Where you find hiphop 30 minutes later you will always find kwaito, mbaqanga or house of some other SouthAfrican Music. Ask even your favourite "Underground DJ" and they will tell you so. Does this mean SAHiphop is inferior?

Of course not. Even in the US, mr El-P "aka the backpack- movement-mascot " probably parties more to Kenny Dope, Gay-Z, Ja-rule than to Jedi Mind Tricks or sumthin...

so why do SA cats feel they have to be more patriotic to hiphop than the "inventors"? Why will KGB rather listen to PDiddy/Pdummy and Ja-rule the Diva than to M´Du? New York has a Sourthen feel right now, and so that´s how we supposed to sound? Why do we always have to compare us to them?

Mnr "Jozi this, jozi that", you better chillax. You sound more emotional than Miss L when she wrote the Nas godson review.
Are you concerned about people not giving props to veterans or about people not giving props to veterans of your race? That´s dom. You probalby do not care about the "veterans" if you are so silly as to use their plight to promote your screwedup views.

And to those mcs who believe they are tight just because of their genes and/or place of residence: Wake the F up? Hiphop is GLOBAL! Saying: " I am black/coloured, I live in a shack, which is in Soweto, which is in Johanessburg. Therefore I am the illest is stupid. " I hope that that BD cat is reading this.Its not just about where you from, its about how you represent where you from, that´s hiphop.

I represent
Soweto.

see you in the kaap when I visit my baby momma in the flets, dis duidelik,
tot siens.
oweto kid

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
As much as i agree with most of what has been said, i would like to add an account that has occured in MY experience..

I am from the old school or at least would like to think of myself as such,
On JB hip hop scene bin all funkflex/clue that is true but mostly because of the dejays..

picture this in the early 90 we knew about most if not all hip hop releases when they were released so what would happen is that we all coped/dubed the same shit and hence old school heads know exactly what other heads of that time were listerning to at the time, even in the later early nineties we were all bumping the same/similar shit..

like illmatic, enter the 36 chamber, Hold it down, black moon etc..
so what happened is that we had one standard of hip hop..then what happened....96 97 hip hop grew so much that there was so much shit bin dropped that heads who were all streamlined and had similar standards were bumping different shit..this caused a split you found that old shool heads who used to agree on what dope was began arguing amongst themselves
some branched out the blackstar path, lyriscits lounge, soundbombing , backpacker polo click (large prof Sadat etc )Company flow..etc so you find that two cats both without a doubt belive illmatic was a cla**ic, rakim is the God, suddenly argue over shit like El-P is holding it down or not...please...hip hop grew so much that there became so many variations of it that we were split....now the JHB scene is realtivly new and most of there cats first heard hip hop was with the Wu Tang forever that bionic was promoting for BMG..so what does that do...they all blindly follow boinics slection as what hip hop is..then which eva direction bionic turned the ma**es followed then he spwaned a couple of "mini boinics" in the form of dj-clive bradly who in they own right are outstanding djs...etc who continue spreading unknowingly what boinic thinks is..so if the "ma**es" in jhb are funkflexeresc it is because of that point alone..is this a good or bad thing..that is a debate on its own..

BUT the heads who watched this whole convertion to hip hop can and could see thru that..what is really sad for bionic is..chanses if he knew that he would single handadly spwan a generation of hip hop degenerates without knowing he may have bin more carefull with his djing style...

yada yada yada...
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

Anonymous

Check this out,hiphop purist!I have been listening to hiphop since 88,I have been an artist, now I´m signing up newer cats to my label in jhb  and they are blazing it up and making money too without loosing the true sense of hiphop.What you need to realize is that hiphop as a genre has grown;there what we call underground (cats rhyming at corners and earning street cred);commercial underground (cats with street cred and getting paid cuz they get airplay) and bling bling (f*** that explanation).I represent the second one - cats with talent,street cred and write songs than battle rhymes. Songs affect people,talk to them directly - basically songs reach peoples headspace that is why they buy the cds,watch the videos and come to the shows.They have street cred cuz they still sharp in cyphers and battles.

Look out for artists in JHB,Durban,PE,Botswana,Uk,Japan,France ... do I need to say more.We can debate the a**ence of hiphop the whole day or we can get off the streets ang get paid for telling south african stories to the world.

I would like to hear views on this - am I talking shit.

The Ebony Cat

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
if i´m not mistaken...
the original issue was whether or not THERE IS SUCH A THING AS A GIG IN JOHANNESBURG THAT YOU CAN GO TO AND HEAR THE DEEJAYS CRANK OUT NOTHING BUT PURE... UNADULTERATED... UNDILURED...  HIPHOP.. OR RAP MUSIC FOR THOSE WHO WANNA KEEP IT TRUE...

I´M NO PURIST...
I´M JUST A CAT WHO´S BEEN UP IN THERE WHEN HIPHOP HIT SOUTH AFRICA IN 1984... SEEN IT ALL... DONE IT ALL... I BEEN B-BOY... A MC... A TAG-UP ARTIST(couldn´t afford spray cans in ´89)... I STARTED SPINNING VINYL IN ´92...(still colect but don´t spin commercially)... A PROMOTER (the only one that flew DJ Blaize to spin in CT - jussouknow)... HIPHOP JOURNALIST... AND I KINDA PLAYED A ROLE IN THE EVOLUTION/MOVE OF HIPHOP INTO SOUTH AFRICAN CYBERSPACE...
BUT THE ONE THING I´M NOT IS A PURIST...
The Ebony Cat
Capitalist Nigga No. 1
South Africa

LazySamuel

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hiphop.nu/
Quote:

25-01-2003 at 16:44, ebonycat :
my understanding of Jozi hiphop is that it´s on some DJ Clue/Funkmaster Flex shit...

there is no such thing as a PURE hiphop gig in Jozi.. just R&B gigs that will feature Bionic.. Blaize.. C-Live etc... (i heard DJs get paid though)

so my answer would be that Jozi has NO hiphop hangouts... (except Carlton Centre of course)

the f***!!
lets see:
- gandhi square
- the barrel
- yeoville
- carfax
- alex

true that jozi´s ciphers are mostly dead nowadays but there are hang outs in j sect.
maybe other dudes can shed some light up in here. :-W
imminy rickets aka curse pettersson

LazySamuel

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote:

27-01-2003 at 22:35, ebonycat :
if i´m not mistaken...
the original issue was whether or not THERE IS SUCH A THING AS A GIG IN JOHANNESBURG THAT YOU CAN GO TO AND HEAR THE DEEJAYS CRANK OUT NOTHING BUT PURE... UNADULTERATED... UNDILURED...  HIPHOP.. OR RAP MUSIC FOR THOSE WHO WANNA KEEP IT TRUE...

I´M NO PURIST...
I´M JUST A CAT WHO´S BEEN UP IN THERE WHEN HIPHOP HIT SOUTH AFRICA IN 1984... SEEN IT ALL... DONE IT ALL... I BEEN B-BOY... A MC... A TAG-UP ARTIST(couldn´t afford spray cans in ´89)... I STARTED SPINNING VINYL IN ´92...(still colect but don´t spin commercially)... A PROMOTER (the only one that flew DJ Blaize to spin in CT - jussouknow)... HIPHOP JOURNALIST... AND I KINDA PLAYED A ROLE IN THE EVOLUTION/MOVE OF HIPHOP INTO SOUTH AFRICAN CYBERSPACE...
BUT THE ONE THING I´M NOT IS A PURIST...

another false statement. if ´´pure´´ hip hop is what it is to me as it is to you, theres plenty nice gigs. none this year, but last year you had:

- Tedelex/Joburg Zoo gig, with cats such as h2o, 5th floor, hidden force, amu , skwatta kamp......
- slivertab dope compilation gig @ Carfax, with hymphatic thabs, nthato, dj sibot, the innovators, cashless society, basically all artists on the compil.
- BMP did like 3 or 4 gigs in various parts of joburg to promote the EP, experimental plateaux.
- 3 gigs in rosebank in august:
1. h2o, i forgot
2. amu, brown dash, proverb, ready d
3. first skwatta kamp, then concentratio camp (gini was not there!).
note: at all above gigs they had open mic sessions and free silvertab gear.
- concentration camp did a gig at the barrel which was like a continued gig of the above. quite dope

thats all i know abt. there may have been more.

one

khoi

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://The Kraal
I might be wrong but I think the topic is why aren’t there hip-hop hangouts? In Jozi and by “hangouts” ebonycat meant clubs that opened regularly and plays real hip-hop, I think,

Well, if you meant clubs there reason is simple – cats in Jozi (by Jozi I mean the whole GP) don’t want to play our part/ role in building this culture, we all expect Blaze, Bionic, or so and so to stay true to hip-hop, they should remain “underground”, blah blah… you’ll know the scenario. Where else we didn’t support people like Blaze when he need us most – if what I’m saying is bullshit why did Le Club/ Metropolis (sp.) close, why did Horror Café close for hip-hop nights- simple cats didn’t support – you find that there’s only about 50 cats ie club at the time.

If we all came to the hip-hop shows like we went to the Y-bashes, Le Club/ Metropolis and Horror Café would still be open till today.

LazySamuel talks about ciphers in Ghandi Square – the reason there were popular is because they free – cats don’t want to pay for hip-hop I see most of them @ the Zone (Rosebank Mall) going to see movies with they chicks  - spend close to R200 for a couple of hours and stroll on those marble floors but when Blaze asks for R50 at the door for some pure undaground hip-hop we don’t pitch. We poor we can’t afford, blah blah or else we hate that the fact that Blaze is earning a living out of hip-hop.

Let me just leave it there

Everyone one in this hip-hop community must understand that we need each other to build this culture – we need to be fans of each other – we need to pay at the door when one of us throws a gig.

If underground hip-hop can pay bills then Blaze would tell Y to shove those half-kwaito/ half-house, 10% hip-hop gigs of theirs.  

Believe me I know, I’ve organizing hip-hop gigs for a while - it’s not fun to organize a gig and see cats not showing. On the real this is what killed hip-hop in Tembisa and it’s doing the same in the whole of GP- waiting one big gig like the Telex shit at the Zoo once a year – it’s crap...    
:-(
wabulawayo Kraal we kill - only time will reveal

Anonymous

HANG OUT SPOTZ IN JOZI? DUNNO MUCH ´BOUT ´EM BUT IN BLOEMFONTEIN U CAN CHECK OUT HEADZ(JAMAL HAKIM FROM TRYBAL SAYPIENZ,FIFI FROM HIPNOTICA ETC) @ HAUFMAAN SQUARE ON LATE FRIDAYZ STARTIN´ MARCH. PART´A DA LIL´ LOCAL HIP HOP MOVEMENTZ DAT I´M TRYNA PUSH 4 DA FREESTATE. I BELIEVE MOTHER HIPHOP DON´ CHOOSE , WE ALL HEADS ´N WE GOTTA UNITE + BUILD IF WE WANNA SEE DA HIPHOP CULTURE GO FAR. BIG UP 2 ALL ´EM UPCOMIN´ GRAFFITTI ARTISTS + B-BOYZ ´N DJ´S ,REP Y´O AREA CODE+AFRICA AS A WHOLE.SONIK  :-P

afronaut

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Quote:

If we all came to the hip-hop shows like we went to the Y-bashes, Le Club/ Metropolis and Horror Café would still be open till today.

LazySamuel talks about ciphers in Ghandi Square – the reason there were popular is because they free – cats don’t want to pay for hip-hop I see most of them @ the Zone (Rosebank Mall) going to see movies with they chicks  - spend close to R200 for a couple of hours and stroll on those marble floors but when Blaze asks for R50 at the door for some pure undaground hip-hop we don’t pitch. We poor we can’t afford, blah blah or else we hate that the fact that Blaze is earning a living out of hip-hop.

:-(

O nepile moshanyana, right on its c***

otz

Anonymous

yho i heard a lot of what you cats said here
but i gotta say that Cape Town isn´t given props
for it being in the forfront of developing hiphop here in S.A
you cats here in jozi shouldn´t think that because of Jozi being the
musical capital of S.A, it automatically means it has been the pioneer
of every music genre and in this case Cape Town has been the platform for hiphop cats  for instance look at Amu he from P.O.C which is based in guess..... ye Cape Town.
I´m tryina say that don´t yall cats say that Jozi is the mother of hiphop.
I never seen or been in a club where they  play hiphop the whole night they would only play it for about 2 hours and they they´ll close the floor and they´ll play house music and kwaito, but in Cape Town clubs open the hiphop floor the whole night and not just for a few hours.
Let´s not say that hiphop was pioneered by whom and who it´s been coming from all areas but nsome were more recognise than the others.
that´s my views yall! Peace!!!!!!!!!
 :-]

khoi

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://The Kraal
please let´s discuss who are pioneers of Mzantsi hip-hop some other time for now let´s talk about why can´t see strictly hip-hop joints in Jozi.

I for one would love to volunteer to organize gigs in Jozi where you can hear any thing from Skwatta to BMP to KK to African Fellaz (sp) to Mobb Deep, Ice Cube, Big Daddy Kane, To Jigga To Co Flow and all that good stuff. But on condition we pack that mother up.

I have ideas to pack gigs and it will involve about ten cats who will work on that shit. Im one of them and I know that my boy Kiwi is down
;-).
wabulawayo Kraal we kill - only time will reveal

LazySamuel

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
yo thats an idea khoi. im down but where is the venue gonna be? j sect definitely needs something like that.

one