Africasgateway.com

Let's make a best of SA rap music collection

Supafly · 53 · 7472

Supafly

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://
I'm trying this elsewhere, so I may just post some of the feedback that I get there in this forum. Basically, what I'm trying to do is see if we can establish some consensus about local rap songs released between 1990 and 2005 that we think would be representative of both popular tastes and musical advancement in the last fifteen years.

One catch: We're limited to 18 tracks, or rather we have have find 18 tracks that qualify. This all depends on whether you see the local scene as half deep, half empty ;)

I think it's okay for folks to just throw in as many titles as they want, but it's really important that they can also back that shit up. We can then tussle over the legitimacy of those songs.

Some of the songs I think should make it are:

Prophets Of da City's Our World. Looking back, many would consider the lyrics a little suspect, but I like the production and its infusion of local sounds. I also think the track reps African and South African hip-hop in a big way, and addresses the problems of pandering to American rap aesthetics.

Black Noise's Black Facts. I really use to give that Rebirth CD a lot of burn. Going back to it now, it doesn't stand up as well as it used to. But this track, with it's laidback production and KRS-One-style history lessons, is worth noting. It's not the most political song they've done, but it's Black Noise at its most balanced - decent production, decent lyrics. I don't know if that will do enough to qualify it as one of SA's best.

Bra**e Vannie Kaap's FNTB. This was quite big, although probably in Cape Town only. Not my favourite song by BVK, but I suspect their most popular and, possibly, their most influential.

I want to motivate for Mizchif's All The Areas, but I haven't heard that in a while, and some people feel 'Place For A Wife' was the bigger tune.

Add on.

It's the Supa!

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
FISTLEE... word on the fookin brill-yunt IDEEE-AH, SOUPA.
1 quest tho, when you say released what exactly do you mean? many dope SA hip hop, in fact the vast majority was hand-to-hand on ca**etes and recently writable cds, and lots of the stuff was regional and never traversed the whole country.
Mind you I am exceeedingly intersted to see what peeps got to say.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

Supafly

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Quote from: "syntactic"
FISTLEE... word on the fookin brill-yunt IDEEE-AH, SOUPA.
1 quest tho, when you say released what exactly do you mean? many dope SA hip hop, in fact the vast majority was hand-to-hand on ca**etes and recently writable cds, and lots of the stuff was regional and never traversed the whole country.

Sheeit, that's a good point. I think an important criteria is that the songs must have been broadly accepted/considered cla**ic. But that would, as you've implied, rule out those under the radar tapes and CD-Rs. I am going to have to get some advice on that one. What do AG peeps think?

milk

• AG Moderator
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-2
  • YEBO GOGO
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
Strange that this discussion would pop up today because I was listening to what I consider one of the all time cla**ic hip hop tracks called "Cape Crusader" by POC.  I think the song was a good ending to one of the best hip hop groups from the African continent.  

I agree with your choice of Black Noise's "Black Facts", it is certainly one of their stronger and more memorable tracks but when you look at their whole catalog there are many others worthy of mention.  Take for instance "Color Aint Shit" off their first album.  That was a powerful track and it was considered cla**ic way back, even when looking at it performed live, made their other songs sound bland.  Another one worth mentioning is "Who Taught You To Hate Yourself".  That was a powerful song.

Supafly

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Quote from: "milk"
Strange that this discussion would pop up today because I was listening to what I consider one of the all time cla**ic hip hop tracks called "Cape Crusader" by POC.  I think the song was a good ending to one of the best hip hop groups from the African continent.  

That jam is in my top three joints by POC. But... and this is a big but, I don't think it was universally accepted. It wasn't popular; only the heads really knew about it.

Any chance you could hook me up with Black Noise's first album. I've pa**ed on it twice now, when I've seen it at 2nd hand stores.

milk

• AG Moderator
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-2
  • YEBO GOGO
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
I can ask around and find a copy.  don't have it at the moment though...

the brandョ

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
@ fly imma hit u wit sum DOOM
i had the same idea...but not local mc's
guess its tru what ur thinking...some1 is already doing it
ahh well
let me post it any way.

slicin

• REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I think 5th Floor should be featured in your comp. I've been told that these cats are unsigned and they've been featured on the Harampe and Hype Compilation even without big recording deals. I believe they should get some recognition. I've listened to their album and considering that they had no financial backing I give them props!!

So my suggestion is either, "creation"/"Imbumba" from 5th Floor!

Blaque_Poetess

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
i agree with slicin. Fifth floor is mos def slept on....I nominate Kreation and line for line!!!

TATEguru

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hiphocalypse.co.nr
another vote for Kreation here..
r Hyde to your Dr Jekyl

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
POC's 'Never Again'

Summn off Spex's rhymziwrote (Hizo, M.O.T.H)

Even though many ppl hate on him, Mizchif's 'Place for a wife' was a good track, even got an NY 12' release

Godessa, dont like the mc'in that much, but Grenville has got the illest beats - he's overlooked here on the AG

Groundworkx - Stereotype type

was a bit disappointed with the 5th floor album, production wise, i def wouldnt call any of the tracks cla**ic

Cashless Society? Hottentot hop

Def some of Nyambz shit, 'Once upon a time in africa'?

Hipe n mc Khalil  'Mystery of tomorrow' or whuteva the track is called

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
Since I'm in the group... I'm naturally goin to have a biased opinion but yeah... put that 5th Floor shit on!!! Kreation or otherwize... Blaque_Poetess... 1st time I heard sumone who likes Line 4 Line... good look. slicin and Tate.. good look too..

Otherwize Hueman on Stereotype type... and I dunno if any of you ever heard Mr Devious' stuff he recorded for GhettoRuff... sum burners up in there 4 sure... Pity Lance shelved it & it was never released.

Otherwise.. ditto on all the other choices... dunno about that Mizchif though.. U'll need some Tumi, Zubz, Sudan, Shorty Skillz, Robo and maybe a Young Nations track too to make this and authentic SA banger.
lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Quote from: "DJ_Nastie_Ed"
Hipe n mc Khalil  'Mystery of tomorrow' or whuteva the track is called

Actually its called "Ebony Flows".That track is too nice.Apparently MC Khalill is working on some new stuff.Just writing new songs and hoping to record sometime in the next few months.Cant wait for that to come off.Hey Ed, u think u can pop a remix of "Ebony Flows"?Would be too nice.With cuts and all.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Also, some Ancient Men in there with "Sum Day", Konfab & Roze with "Hopolang Leeto" (still luving the production Ed), Isaac Mutant with "Str8 Talk" &/or "Rymklets" & Urban Militia with "Captn Jack".
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Hip Hop Royalty - Konfab (if that ain't cla**ic, then nothing is).

Dungeon Keeper(?) - Groundworks

Stereotype Type - Groundworks

Hottentot Hop - Cashless

Onus - X-24th Letter & Konfab

That shit nyambz did for Pro Kid

When Archetypes gets their shit together there will be cla**ic material there

I would add Trusenz (but I'm biased)

Last Emperor - Anon (again, biased)

Soon to be cla**ic - Drudge Dialect Mixtape

One to watch - Middle Finga